U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,971,597 times
Reputation: 11119

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Just to clarify, are you stating that all those who stayed in NOLA had no choice but to ride out the storm in the city because they had no means to leave town?
I would never use the term ALL to describe individuals. many didn't leave because they could not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Here
10,833 posts, read 11,566,701 times
Reputation: 5928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Most that died were over 50 and ~30% were >75 yrs old. It's not unreasonable to figure that appropriate decision making could have been compromised.
Hate to break it to you but, from first hand experience, a lot of people stayed because they were flat out tired of evacuating so many times over the years for what ultimately was for nothing. Sure there were some who had nobody to turn to for help but the mindset of a lot of people was that NOLA would somehow come out relatively unscathed like it always did. Those that did leave simply packed a suitcase and planned to be back home in a few days like they did after every other evacuation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
 
3,471 posts, read 3,911,325 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would never use the term ALL to describe individuals. many didn't leave because they could not.
As my African friends always ask: "Do they not have legs?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM
 
3,471 posts, read 3,911,325 times
Reputation: 1376
Can we counter-sue New Orleans for everything they cost the taxpayer before Katrina? (Not to mention after).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I too think the suits will never get anywhere just because of the appeals process we have in the us.
They shouldn't get any where. 3 quadrillion? lol I can't even fathom that number. As a tax payer I hate having to pay for things I don't agree with (the war, co. pigs, most welfare, etc).

And what's going on with these peoples insurance companies? They should be getting the axe as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM
 
339 posts, read 347,717 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
don't twist my words to your thinking. this has nothing to do with their resources. they have the right to sue because the ARMY CORP did not do their job. that is the fact, the levee broke and AC knew all along it would happen. that is why they get to sue. your post, supported by others, that the people that didn't get out after they were warned could have or wanted to stay, is BS. this false attitude is a great example of judgmental thinking at it's finest.
Hmm so every time the Miss River floods all those fools who live right next to the river should sue because the corps didn't do their job to control the river? BS eh? If I lived under the ocean and was told for the last thirty years a direct hit from a hurrican would flood the city I sure as hell woulda got out. I guess you would be sitting there like the rest of the fools waving at the coast guard to pick you up off your roof. Hey isn't the coast guard one of those evil fed agencies? Maybe the fools should sue them too for being too rough when they tossed em in the basket.

Oh wait according to Farrakhan Bush blew up the levies so maybe he'll testify and all this will go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Hate to break it to you but, from first hand experience, a lot of people stayed because they were flat out tired of evacuating so many times over the years for what ultimately was for nothing. Sure there were some who had nobody to turn to for help but the mindset of a lot of people was that NOLA would somehow come out relatively unscathed like it always did. Those that did leave simply packed a suitcase and planned to be back home in a few days like they did after every other evacuation.
I know some thought that. But, who knows what was up with the elderly. Again, a good chunk of them were over 75. That coupled with their poverty leads me to think it's probable that they weren't in the right state of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
 
339 posts, read 347,717 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
They shouldn't get any where. 3 quadrillion? lol I can't even fathom that number. As a tax payer I hate having to pay for things I don't agree with (the war, co. pigs, most welfare, etc).

And what's going on with these peoples insurance companies? They should be getting the axe as well.
I think most insurace has an "Act of God" clause for things outside of human control like tornadoes and yep hurricanes. Of course Bush used his hurricane machine built in the bowels of halliburton to fire off Katrina to kill off blacks who didn't vote for him so this clause may not qualify. Maybe insurance companies in the gulf had an "act of bush" clause??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
If I lived under the ocean and was told for the last thirty years a direct hit from a hurrican would flood the city I sure as hell woulda got out.
This is true. My dh and I have considered moving here or there, and enviro-conditions are always included in our discussions. Many moons ago up here in MA we had a bad storm. Several people died in their cars, while stuck on the highway, because the snow was impossible. Anybody with half a brain up here knows to carry emergency gear in their cars during the winter (blankets, shovels, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I think most insurace has an "Act of God" clause for things outside of human control like tornadoes and yep hurricanes. Of course Bush used his hurricane machine built in the bowels of halliburton to fire off Katrina to kill off blacks who didn't vote for him so this clause may not qualify. Maybe insurance companies in the gulf had an "act of bush" clause??
I am curious, tho, about what happened with these people's insurance. Did they refuse to pay? I recall some mentions about flood insurance not covering due to high winds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top