Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Who said the government? Are you just too small to understand grassroots? I know some people love large government, being told what to say, what to eat, what to think. I just happen to not be one of them. How about you?
Me? I'm just a humble public servant pointing out the blatant internal contradiction inherent in calling for billboards decrying big government to be made mandatory in every town across America. Who do you suppose could make such things madatory other than big government? Sometimes, I think the brains of right-wingers have all gone into energy-saver mode...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
It wasn't the "liberals" who sank the US economy and promoted sending jobs to Red China and then borrowed a $trillion from them to pay for the tax cuts going to the wealthy.

It wasn't the "liberals" who deregulated Wall St, allowing them to float all these "derivatives" that sank the stock market.

It wasn't the "liberals" who ran up the biggest debt this nation has ever seen and left us with exactly nothing to show for all that spending. No new schools, no infrastructure improvements, no updated energy grid. Nothing. Spending record amounts of money while buying nothing is what's put us all behind the 8 ball.
It sure was. Who was the idiot president who signed NAFTA? And you sure don't see the liberals in power now doing a damned thing to bring jobs back and put a stop to globalism greed.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:

It wasn't the "liberals" who ran up the biggest debt this nation has ever seen and left us with exactly nothing to show for all that spending. No new schools, no infrastructure improvements, no updated energy grid. Nothing. Spending record amounts of money while buying nothing is what's put us all behind the 8 ball.
The two states in the worst shape right now are two very liberal states where the liberals put in place every kind of spending program you could think up. States like Texas aren't in nearly the same kind of bind.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So did you all see how the liberal students were rioting at UCLA and other places in California? It seems they might have read the sign. I didn't see some people condemn those students for rioting against their government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Here it is.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ke-causes.html

Shameful liberals going against government. Why don't they just accept everything government does and get jobs.
Years ago, I would have been stunned to learn that some people can't see the difference between citizens exercising their right to protest (whether it's college kids or tea parties or whatever) and people advocating for the overthrow of the government. There is a HUGE difference.

It seems to me that the capacity for reason and critical thinking in general has taken a beating recently.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 AM

And when the government cuts back food stamps, heating assistance, or even tries to raise tuition, it will be the liberals out rioting, you'll see mobs of angry liberals being teargassed back into control. It will be the liberals themselves who will first start fighting their beloved government the day it doesn't give them everything they want of someone else's hardearned income.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Years ago, I would have been stunned to learn that some people can't see the difference between citizens exercising their right to protest (whether it's college kids or tea parties or whatever) and people advocating for the overthrow of the government. There is a HUGE difference.

It seems to me that the capacity for reason and critical thinking in general has taken a beating recently.
But look what it is these liberals are protesting. They aren't protesting a government taking anything from them that they earned. They are filled with anger and anti-government sentiment over that government not robbing the working people more to give them everything they want.

That's the difference. You have those who are being robbed, who are tired of working for the sole benefit of others becoming angry and those who are the takers expecting the gravy train to continue giving getting angry.

The riots are already beginning, these students were not simply protesting that they might have to get off their lazy rear ends and get jobs to pay their own tuition, it required arrests and tasering to get them back under control.

The violence will begin with the liberals - that's certain.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

433 posts, read 460,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
"If Steps 1 and 2 fail? PREPARE FOR WAR" - nothing subtle about that, is there? But unlike the Tea Parties and other legitimate forms of protest, this is openly advocating the violent overthrow of the U.S. government. Free speech is not without limits (the classic shouting "fire" in a crowded theater). Personally, I'd like to see the federal government enforce some of the laws in place that apply to the message given on the billboard.

US CODE: Title 18,2385. Advocating overthrow of Government
Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government; or

Whoever, with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of any such government, prints, publishes, edits, issues, circulates, sells, distributes, or publicly displays any written or printed matter advocating, advising, or teaching the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States by force or violence, or attempts to do so; or

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.
Would this also be relevant?

"When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Dano

Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
hmmmmm...

Maybe Missouri isn't the best choice to set a national example...
Liberals should celebrate this. He's obviously a product of government, union-controlled schools.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I know some people love large government, being told what to say, what to eat, what to think.
Some people even argue in favor of mandatory political billboards in every town. Oh, wait - that was you, wasn't it?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:48 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Liberals should celebrate this. He's obviously a product of government, union-controlled schools.
His critical thinking skills have been eroded to the point where he's adopting a right-wing philosophy? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm surprised to hear it from your side of the debate, admittedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies