Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am sorry, did I misspell dillusional. They all say it! None do it! The only thing the Repubs have said that has any value is Tort Reform. They pretty much have to stay with that is because it was part of McCain's campaign rhetoric. I agree with them, that needs to be included along with some other Conservative ideas. But, they won't engage and the resulting bill will probably be absent of many needed constraints and ideas. The Dems are basically saying to the GOP, since you don't want to get involved, to hell with you, we will move forward without you and enact a Democrat Plan which will reap the political rewards. The result, Americans lose! The plan will be a step in the right direction but will be much costlier than it needs to be. Those are the simple facts, at least as I see it.
-Delusional- and only cause the context that you put that in. I could really care less about grammatical errors by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
I am sorry, did I misspell dillusional. They all say it! None do it! The only thing the Repubs have said that has any value is Tort Reform. They pretty much have to stay with that is because it was part of McCain's campaign rhetoric. I agree with them, that needs to be included along with some other Conservative ideas. But, they won't engage and the resulting bill will probably be absent of many needed constraints and ideas. The Dems are basically saying to the GOP, since you don't want to get involved, to hell with you, we will move forward without you and enact a Democrat Plan which will reap the political rewards. The result, Americans lose! The plan will be a step in the right direction but will be much costlier than it needs to be. Those are the simple facts, at least as I see it.
Yes, actually you did misspell delusional, but who cares. I'm not the CD spelling police. The Republicans have attempted to bring more to the debate than just Tort Reform. They've argued for ability to buy across state lines, for one. To say that they won't engage is a bit disingenuous. When have they been given the option? They've brought multiple amendments up, only to have them killed by Pelosi before hitting the floor, or voted down alond strict party lines.

This bill, like the Stimulus, was conceived and written by Dems, behind closed doors for the most part. The Dems will own it, like the Stimulus. Whether or not they reap the rewards or suffer the consequences remains to be seem.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:04 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Yes, actually you did misspell delusional, but who cares. I'm not the CD spelling police. The Republicans have attempted to bring more to the debate than just Tort Reform. They've argued for ability to buy across state lines, for one. To say that they won't engage is a bit disingenuous. When have they been given the option? They've brought multiple amendments up, only to have them killed by Pelosi before hitting the floor, or voted down alond strict party lines.

This bill, like the Stimulus, was conceived and written by Dems, behind closed doors for the most part. The Dems will own it, like the Stimulus. Whether or not they reap the rewards or suffer the consequences remains to be seem.
You are aware the the Repub health bill pitched a week or two ago ended up being more costly and helped fewer people with even more loopholes than the democrat bill?

Also, everyone familiar with politics knows that in DC, 'having further debate' = stalling until the issue/bill/subject can be killed off.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Excellent point.
The Public Option is the cheap imitation for a Single Payer System. The final bill will probably have a "triggered" Public Option. Which, we all pretty much know, will be triggered. The Ins. Cos. will gouge out as much profit as they can until they have to compete. The overhead, Pay and Bonus structures will make it clear that they cannot compete. The System will gradually evolve into a Single Payer System which, in this country, is were the system belongs. There is a mentality of corporate greed in America, which is good, but that will not long allow for any sort of private/public coexistence. The profit needs to be removed from the care side of the issue and eventually, it will be, with a Single Payer System.
Quote:
CBO and JCT estimate that the direct spending and revenue effects of enacting the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act would yield a net reduction in federal deficits of $130 billion over the 2010-2019 period. That estimate is subject to substantial uncertainty.
Director’s Blog » Blog Archive » Cost Estimate for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as Proposed on November 18

Old 11-22-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
You are aware the the Repub health bill pitched a week or two ago ended up being more costly and helped fewer people with even more loopholes than the democrat bill?

Also, everyone familiar with politics knows that in DC, 'having further debate' = stalling until the issue/bill/subject can be killed off.
The main way they "saved" money was to take in money for 3-4 years without providing any care yet. So they take in money till 2013 (taxing immediately) but not providing healthcare until 2013-2014.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The main way they "saved" money was to take in money for 3-4 years without providing any care yet. So they take in money till 2013 (taxing immediately) but not providing healthcare until 2013-2014.
That is correct. We will all start paying more now, but not see any of the benefits for several years. Instead of "pay as you go" it'll be "pay in advance" -- and we'll really be buying a grab bag. We won't know just what we're getting, or how it will work (or not work) until the healthcare kicks in.

Why put it off that many years? Is it just to make it seem less costly? Well, what about the uninsured that are in such dire need that we have to rush the bill through NOW?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post

The Republican bill has flaws; the Dem bill has flaws. Why not attempt to merge the best ideas from both, and come up with a better alternative?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That is correct. We will all start paying more now, but not see any of the benefits for several years. Instead of "pay as you go" it'll be "pay in advance" -- and we'll really be buying a grab bag. We won't know just what we're getting, or how it will work (or not work) until the healthcare kicks in.

Quote:
Why put it off that many years? Is it just to make it seem less costly? Well, what about the uninsured that are in such dire need that we have to rush the bill through NOW?
Because Obama WANTS total CONTROL over the masses......NOW!
NOW.....not next year!

Is it wrong to be suspicious of anything they want passed so urgently after all their closed-door meetings?

Scheming, manipulative, arm-twisting DEMS!
Their time is coming to an end and they're too stupid to know it yet.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I know there was another thread discussing Health care being a right or privalege, I suspect it is clear that I believe it to be a right. After all the second sentence of Declaration of Independence list it as the first unalienable right, "Life, Liberty and .....". The issue of Healthcare is very much about American's ability to stay alive, I don't believe the first sentence said anything about you being privaleged enough. This country has, for a long time, unsuccessfully tried to get to a point where that right is protected. The current Congress is as close as we have come to date. The primary resistance, other than political, has come from Corporations preserving their profit. That is why I feel, down the road, we will have to remove profit from the equation.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
The Republican bill has flaws; the Dem bill has flaws. Why not attempt to merge the best ideas from both, and come up with a better alternative?
It would be nice, however we don't live in a utopian world, we live in a political world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies