Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM

982 posts, read 3,312,285 times

Advertisements

So many folks here have commented on what's wrong with this country. To an extent, I agree with many of you. This is my commentary on some of the issues I see posted on a fairly regular basis:

1. America is 'a culture of consumerism.' In the context of how we spend our money, this statement makes us sound like a nation of self-absorbed, insecure, rich, whiny vultures. Are there people like this among us? Of course. But 'culture of consumerism' is a ridiculously childish label to slap on a population of fellow citizens, imperfect though we are. Someone's choice to drive a nice car and live in a big house never dictated what you do with your life. Some of us are consumed alright - with petty differences.

2. Homosexuality. People want to pin down the 'cause,' don't understand it, think it's evil, think other's are narrow-minded...I think everyone knows the list could go on. Here's my take:

The only people who really have a clue about homosexuality are the homosexuals. The rest of us can empathize or judge to a fare thee well, but we haven't walked a mile in those shoes. Whether anyone likes it or not, they are citizens of this country that work, contribute to society and pay taxes just like the rest of us - and as such, they are deserving of every right and priviledge as a citizen of the United States. How someone choses to conduct their sexual lives is no one's business. Period. If you think God doesn't love them because the Bible says it's bad, then I suggest you don't know what unconditional love is. If Jesus broke bread with sinners, so can you.
And the flip side of the coin: nobody has to like or agree with homosexuality. Nobody has to 'understand' it. I say 'enough' to the whining about how belligerent people and hateful people are. God gave you a backbone to stand up for yourself, and you have life so that you could live it. You have the capacity to be happy and fulfilled. You don't need to be 'accepted' to experience that.

3. Global Warming and the Environment. Some say it's happening, some say it's not. Either way, the world isn't going to end tomorrow. How about this: we conserve energy, be as environmentally and economically intelligent as we can with the technology and resources we've got, and get off our high-horse about it. In a political context, this could be a win-win for everyone, regardless of where we stand individually on this issue.

4. The United States is losing (or has already lost) standing with the rest of the world. Boo-Hoo. What's new? Even if we weren't in Iraq, we would be doing something wrong. We're bad for 'policing the world,' we're bad for not giving enough, we're bad for being wealthy, we're bad for polluting the environment, we're bad for serving our own interests, we're arrogant, we're a 'superpower,' we aren't enlightened about other countries and cultures, we buy products that were made by the hands of virtual slaves to feed that 'culture of consumerism.'
All of this may be true. But we aren't the only country guilty of these sins - we're just bigger and easier (and more popular) to target. The US definitely has room for improvement on all these fronts, but there shouldn't be a wink of sleep lost because other countries 'don't like us.' It's a two-way street, and this isn't high school.

5. Liberals and Conservatives. Politcal affiliation - a badge we proudly wear! Everybody knows what's best for the country and everyone else. We label people, cities, states, churches, and corporations with the stereotypes of political affiliation. It hasn't accomplished a damn thing, but we have a wonderful excuse to be a rhetorical parody of know-it-alls.
It's time to drop the drama, agree to disagree, make some compromises and get something done. The only thing these two parties have in common is that they care deeply about this country and the direction it's headed (I'm talking about the parties in general, not the politcians per se). It's a good place to start, and it shouldn't come about in fleeting times of crisis.

6. The Common Thread. Many say that this country is going downhill because of: the gay 'agenda;' fundamentalist Christians; evil corporations; government policy; money, status, greed and consumerism; lack of morals; the shrinking of the nuclear family; liberals; conservatives; immigrants; intolerance; lack of opportunity; lack of education.....here's another list that could go on.

I don't think it's any of these things at all. We've been so busy discussing what is wrong with America, that we've forgotten what is right about it. We like to point fingers, but we don't like to look in the mirror. We want to pride ourselves in our points of view, but we're too busy being righteously indignant to take a step back and look at the big picture.

For every one of the infractions listed above, I'm just as guilty as anyone else, but I have faith in this country. I see good in the people - who are, essentially, the thread of the fabric that make this country what it is. I love it, warts and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,896,918 times
Well here's a toast to Warts my friend....

Very well said... <standing>... Bravo

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,913,423 times
Quite the post, mrsengle!

Nicely put and feeling your frustration as well.

With few exceptions, I agree.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,094,860 times
Well said! I agree with most, if not all, of what you said... nothing for me to argue about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies