Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Assuming you're correct however, the sole justification of the tax cuts as part of the stimulus bill were for job creation/retention. As such, you can't just arbitrarily take that out of the equation.

At the most optimistic number of 1.6 million and figuring "only" $300 billion, that still makes this bill one huge failure in terms of cost per job ($187,500). Add to that, most of these jobs are short term, nothing (or very little) has been done to ensure sustained job growth in the private sector. If the goal was job creation, we could have "created" a bunch of positions digging ditches, sweeping sidewalks, building trails in the national forests, working in National Parks, for what, $30k per year. So for that same $300 billion spent we could have "created" 10 million jobs.

I'm making a bit of an assumption here, that most jobs saved didn't actually draw a salary of $187,500 per year...so where did the rest of our tax money go that was spent under this bill?

Loads of it was corporate welfare for profitable industries, or as I like to call it, "CORPORATE DONOR CHUM"!

Non-Competitive/Non-Fixed Price Contract Awards (http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Pages/NonCompetitiveNonFixedContracts.aspx?data=agencyNo nCompetitiveAwards&State=ALL&Agency=47&Type=ALL&Re nderData=ALL&PageNumber=1 - broken link)

Keep in mind that we passed the larged federal budget EVER last year making this all in addition to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,784,427 times
Quote:
I guess it would be too simple and not offer enough leverage for social engineering, but if you really were serious about creating jobs, why not just offer a tax credit of X per employee for every business employing American workers? Our tax and regulatory policy currently provides a great incentive to take jobs overseas...until that is resolved there is no reason to expect manufacturing employment to rebound.
I agree ... well, I would say offering a tax credit to companies hiring new employees. We must also remember that public jobs have to fit in said stimulis too (education, police, etc).

Unfortunately, we also have to tip-toe around not being too "protectionist" in our actions (I actually think protectionism is a good thing, but just saying).

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What would have been better, providing a $2500 tax incentive for ever NEW employee hired.
LOL. The only incentive that would provide would be toward coming up with new and unique ways to redefine an already existing job as a new job. That's why this idea was tossed on the scrap heap very early on.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I agree ... well, I would say offering a tax credit to companies hiring new employees. We must also remember that public jobs have to fit in said stimulis too (education, police, etc).

Unfortunately, we also have to tip-toe around not being too "protectionist" in our actions (I actually think protectionism is a good thing, but just saying).
I don't think this should only cover "new" employees. That would unfairly punish businesses with an established domestic workforce. With regard to public sector employement, I also would disagree-those are functions of the local or state government, not the feds.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
When he campaigned in Ohio and the rust belt promising jobs and that theirs wouldn't be lost to outsourcing, he has done nothing.
All financial plans and promises -- particularly those regarding taxes -- had to be rethought by everyone after September 2008. It's a little unrealistic to think that a huge international financial collapse shouldn't have made any difference...

Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Loads of it was corporate welfare for profitable industries, or as I like to call it, "CORPORATE DONOR CHUM"!
The stimulus bill only requires that the use of competitive, fixed-price contracts be maximized. It doesn't require that they be used exclusively. Your link is to the outliers -- dutifully reported by the administration in the name of transparency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Keep in mind that we passed the larged federal budget EVER last year making this all in addition to that.
Given inflation and population increases, how often would you EXPECT that the next federal budget would not be the largest one ever???

Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
With regard to public sector employement, I also would disagree-those are functions of the local or state government, not the feds.
So only the private sector should receive federal money in a country-wide stimulis? States and state employees should not be helped too?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:03 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,922,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
So only the private sector should receive federal money in a country-wide stimulis? States and state employees should not be helped too?
state employees are already propped up by the taxpayers.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:06 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
state employees are already propped up by the taxpayers.
What she said

Why would we want to stimulate more jobs to be paid for by the taxpayer? Once the stim money runs out the state or local taxpayers are left holding the bill. I'd much rather see actions that stimulate long-term private sector growth, which actually leads to wealth creation.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
What she said

Why would we want to stimulate more jobs to be paid for by the taxpayer? Once the stim money runs out the state or local taxpayers are left holding the bill. I'd much rather see actions that stimulate long-term private sector growth, which actually leads to wealth creation.
So you guys (or gals, I don't know) would be okay with massive teacher layoffs and massive public sector layoffs (affecting unemployment), as long as the private sector receives federal funds and picks up its pieces?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies