Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
REALLY? That's the American way?

Then what, pray tell, are all those AMERICAN families doing with their hands out for free toys?????

Your ignorance is mind-boggling.
No. Mexico is actually one of the world's richest nations, it's among the top 12 richest nations in the world with more billionaires than many nations including Great Britain and Germany or sometimes it's neck and neck with those countries.

Mexico contrary to the lies told about it has a growing middle class. People in Mexico who finish their education, obtain some job skills, delay the start of a family until after they've obtained that education and job skills and job and marriage, do just fine. They are part of the growing middle class.

There are those however who start popping out the babies at a very young age, who make no effort to finish school, and are content with their limited job skills because they figure they can get to the USA illegally or any way and be set for life.

If you actually have built houses in Mexico, you have built them for impoverished families with many kids, very young parents who chose not to remain in school for long. You see that over and over, people who live in a country that has public school education, a growing middle class that takes advantage of it's opporunities while others remain irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
In Mexico?

Why am I having a very hard time believing that?
I think what it is, there are people who love to patronize illegals, they love to pat themselves on the back for taking such good care of illegals and helping them break the laws of this country any way they can.

I myself don't like to patronize groups of people. I would prefer to hold them responsible in some way and just like Jehovah Witnesses, Jewish and others, if they don't buy their children a lot of presents for Christmas, that's their option. I don't believe in patronizing them either.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

No. Mexico is actually one of the world's richest nations, it's among the top 12 richest nations in the world with more billionaires than many nations including Great Britain and Germany or sometimes it's neck and neck with those countries.

Mexico contrary to the lies told about it has a growing middle class. People in Mexico who finish their education, obtain some job skills, delay the start of a family until after they've obtained that education and job skills and job and marriage, do just fine. They are part of the growing middle class.

There are those however who start popping out the babies at a very young age, who make no effort to finish school, and are content with their limited job skills because they figure they can get to the USA illegally or any way and be set for life.

If you actually have built houses in Mexico, you have built them for impoverished families with many kids, very young parents who chose not to remain in school for long. You see that over and over, people who live in a country that has public school education, a growing middle class that takes advantage of it's opporunities while others remain irresponsible.
DUDE, I've actually LIVED in Mexico! Have you, or are you just pulling things out of your backside?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,071 times
Good. I have no problem with this. They already use my money for services they shouldn't get, and I certainly would rather my donation go to a citizen.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
DUDE, I've actually LIVED in Mexico! Have you, or are you just pulling things out of your backside?
Yes I have and it's a lie that Mexico is nothing but a hell hole with no hope for anyone to be middle class. There are many middle class types in Mexico, they aren't living in cardboard houses and they aren't having babies every year starting at age 13.

If you actually had lived in Mexico, you'd also realize that Mexico even has immigration laws and doesn't allow illegals to move in and take jobs or beg.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,198,320 times
Quote:
Christmas is actually about a religious holiday. It's celebrated in Mexico with more of the original intent - a celebration of the birth of Jesus so people there attend Mass, stay up Christmas eve with family.

Where is all the politically correct "multiculturalism" now? Shouldn't the children of illegals cling to their own culture which does not celebrate Christmas with trees, Santa Clauses, and many gifts? Suddenly we must impose our cultural traditions on them? The only time of course.
For God's sake, so to speak. Of course they give gifts at Christmas in Hispanic cultures! I cant believe all these rationalizations for cruelty and selfishness.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,684 times
Quote:

Yes I have and it's a lie that Mexico is nothing but a hell hole with no hope for anyone to be middle class. There are many middle class types in Mexico, they aren't living in cardboard houses and they aren't having babies every year starting at age 13.

If you actually had lived in Mexico, you'd also realize that Mexico even has immigration laws and doesn't allow illegals to move in and take jobs or beg.
Who the hell ever said there was no middle class in Mexico, or that everyone was living in cardboard boxes?

And how on earth is that relevant to this thread?

The Salvation Army has a POLICY NOT TO DISCRIMINATE on the basis of citizenship in ANY of their ministries. They model their services on the teachings of CHRIST. One local chapter started treating people seeking out their services in a fashion that went AGAINST their policy of non-discrimination. The National Headquarters has now weighed in and said this will no longer be allowed to continue.

Now, if you don't like the idea that the Salvation Army WILL be distributing toys to needy children, some of whom may be here because their parents entered this country illegally, then you are free to never donate a dime to that organization. That is perfectly within your rights.

But the Salvation Army agrees with me and many others who've chimed in in this thread, that citizenship is NOT A REQUIREMENT to be a beneficiary of charity at ANY time of year, least of all CHRISTmas!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
For God's sake, so to speak. Of course they give gifts at Christmas in Hispanic cultures! I cant believe all these rationalizations for cruelty and selfishness.
You've never been in Mexico at Christmas then. They have a dinner that lasts well into the night. A feast with the whole family there. The baby Jesus displayed. It's possible that some are Americanized and have the Christmas tree, the many gifts under it that Santa brought in the morning but that really is not the tradition.

There are gifts given on the day of the Three Kings. That is the tradition.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 AM

A whole lot of kids in the world do not wake up to a pile of gifts under a Christmas tree on Dec 25 morning. Strangely it isn't a special tragedy for kids who often come from countries and cultures that don't do Santa Claus and don't have a materialistic Christmas to not have every kind of gift?

I feel no more sorry for children of illegals whose parents didn't buy them the latest Wii game and all the accessories, wrapped to be opened on Dec 25, than a Muslim child or Jehovah Witness child or Jewish child who also doesn't wake up to a pile of presents. Just like I don't cry for the Canadians who aren't eating a big turkey dinner in November.

Chances are the illegals are celebrating Christmas they way they did back home and the gifts will arrive in January. That way they can also enjoy the post holiday sales when it comes to their time to give out gifts.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,198,320 times
Quote:
You've never been in Mexico at Christmas then. They have a dinner that lasts well into the night. A feast with the whole family there. The baby Jesus displayed. It's possible that some are Americanized and have the Christmas tree, the many gifts under it that Santa brought in the morning but that really is not the tradition.

There are gifts given on the day of the Three Kings. That is the tradition.

The topic isnt trees or Santas, the topic is excusing cruelty and selfishness -- rationalizing behavior that is the polar opposite of honoring Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies