Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Based on what? Because he says so? Because he went to a church for obvious political reasons for 20 years?

What evidence?

He's okay with a baby's brains being sucked out of its skull.

He's okay with gay marriage

He call scripture obscure and irrelevent accept when he's trying to use it for politics

He picked a dog for his family....But he can't seem to find a church home

He snubbed the national day of prayer but found time to have the transgendered and gay dinner at the White House

His staff had the picture of Jesus covered over at Georgetown Univ when he spoke there

The bible doesn't speak about liberal or conservative Christians. There are just CHRISTIANS....period. And none can come to God on their own terms. None of the things I just listed fit the Biblical description of one that is sold out to Christ.

there ...I said it.
Obama is not okay with gay marriage, and who appointed you to be chief of the Christian police?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM

97 posts, read 110,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
He's okay with a baby's brains being sucked out of its skull.
I'm pro-life but even I agree a reduction in abortions is achieved far better through economic policy than through anti-abortion legislation. I think Obama made it clear that he was not voting in support of killing babies after birth but rather had problems with other provisions in the legislation.
Quote:
He's okay with gay marriage
Where have you been? Name anything Obama has said or done that even remotely indicates support for gay marriage. Heck, the man won't even keep his promise to end Don't Ask Don't Tell.
Quote:
He call scripture obscure and irrelevent accept when he's trying to use it for politics
He believes that words have changed meaning over time, which they have, and that mistranslations could've have occurred, which, again, is probably true. Anyone who wishes to interpret the Bible 100% literally should learn how to read it in the original language. Even then, I still believe a lot of scripture would be taken out of context due to cultural differences of the times.
Quote:
He picked a dog for his family....But he can't seem to find a church home
This isn't even true. Obama did look around for different churches in DC. Ultimately, he decided to call the Evergreen Chapel at Camp david his church home. You know, the same place George W. Bush went. I suppose George W. Bush was also a Muslim and/or radical Christian.
Quote:
He snubbed the national day of prayer but found time to have the transgendered and gay dinner at the White House
He prayed privately, as the Bible calls for. Christians aren't supposed to be in-your-face with prayer. One poster already posted a scriptural quote.
Quote:
His staff had the picture of Jesus covered over at Georgetown Univ when he spoke there
This doesn't mean he was offended, just that he felt others might be. But I agree this is going a little too far into PC, but that's just the society we live in unfortunately. This isn't any indication of Obama's beliefs. heck, it probably wasn't even his idea to cover the statue, I'm sure one of his advisors told him to so people wouldn't complain.

I respect your interpretation of scripture, and I commend you for following your faith. At the same time, I don't necessarily follow the same interpretation of scripture. Obama's interpretation is different from both of ours. Who am I to say one of us is right and the others aren't?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:30 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymd View Post
He prayed privately, as the Bible calls for. Christians aren't supposed to be in-your-face with prayer. One poster already posted a scriptural quote.
He made public statements at the beginning AND end of Ramadan

Remarks of President Barack Obama - Ramadan Message - 8/21/09
STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT ON THE OCCASION OF EID-UL-FITR - 9/19/09

He never made a public statement concerning NDP. Only Gibbs said he would sign a proclamation.

Quote:
This doesn't mean he was offended, just that he felt others might be. But I agree this is going a little too far into PC, but that's just the society we live in unfortunately. This isn't any indication of Obama's beliefs. heck, it probably wasn't even his idea to cover the statue, I'm sure one of his advisors told him to so people wouldn't complain.

I respect your interpretation of scripture, and I commend you for following your faith. At the same time, I don't necessarily follow the same interpretation of scripture. Obama's interpretation is different from both of ours. Who am I to say one of us is right and the others aren't?
He is going into their facility and asking them to cover up THEIR own beliefs. Why not speak in a different location?

If he is a Christian - he wants to cover up the person who died for him?? That makes no sense.

I go back to the ABC interview - "my Muslim faith" - straight faced like it was no big deal. Christians do not do this. We do not make this "mistake". Never.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Obama is not okay with gay marriage, and who appointed you to be chief of the Christian police?
all believers are called to be police...as you say.

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. Jude 3

Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
[QUOTE=DRob4JC;12148134]He made public statements at the beginning AND end of Ramadan

He never made a public statement concerning NDP. Only Gibbs said he would sign a proclamation.

He's sucking up to the Muslim world.

He is going into their facility and asking them to cover up THEIR own beliefs. Why not speak in a different location?

That's my thought exactly! Rather disrespectful of him to do that in THEIR facility.

If he is a Christian - he wants to cover up the person who died for him?? That makes no sense.

I go back to the ABC interview - "my Muslim faith" - straight faced like it was no big deal. Christians do not do this. We do not make this "mistake". Never.[/quote]

You're right.

[quote=anthonymd;12146906] I think Obama made it clear that he was not voting in support of killing babies after birth but rather had problems with other provisions in the legislation.

It's a cop out.

He believes that words have changed meaning over time, which they have, and that mistranslations could've have occurred, which, again, is probably true. Anyone who wishes to interpret the Bible 100% literally should learn how to read it in the original language. Even then, I still believe a lot of scripture would be taken out of context due to cultural differences of the times.

Obama is not a theological scholar, so who is he to say that words have changed meaning over time when Biblical scholars have studied so thoroughly that they even know the original language, and the customs, and attest to the accuracy of the translation. The Dead Sea Scrolls have confirmed the accuracy of scripture over time.

Heck, Obama is a Constitutional expert, and he can't even uphold the Constitution. He says it needs to change with the times. He thinks some sections should say what he would like them to say. Evidently, that's his attitude toward scripture as well - it needs to change with the times and read the way he thinks it should read.

And he has no conviction of his own of what is right and wrong in this instance? He will go with popular pc opinion? What kind of leader doesn't stand on his own convictions?

I hear what you are saying, and I've heard a lot of people say that. But let's remember that we cannot assume that our interpretation is the right one just because it makes us feel comfortable. Too often, that is exactly what people do. There is even a warning in scripture that it is not up to personal (i.e. private) interpretation.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Is this for real?
Are you?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:39 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
may be those who created this video can gather enough courage to create a video about the WMD's and why are we in Iraq?

Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pro-life but even I agree a reduction in abortions is achieved far better through economic policy than through anti-abortion legislation. I think Obama made it clear that he was not voting in support of killing babies after birth but rather had problems with other provisions in the legislation.
He can't talk outta both sides of his mouth on this issue. He has the most radical voting record on this issue than even Ted Kennedy did! This is the one thing he "NEVER" voted present on! Even in Illinois!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4B3O9uUc-4

Quote:
Where have you been? Name anything Obama has said or done that even remotely indicates support for gay marriage. Heck, the man won't even keep his promise to end Don't Ask Don't Tell.
How about this speech he just gave at the Gay Banquet this past fall! Check it out at 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_BODrAwSE

Quote:
That's bunch of crap and yopu know it. The only passages that seem to change are the ones that mess with our sinful lifestyles. So when Jesus made it clear that man was made for woman....???

Matthew 19:4-6 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a -1]MAN will leave his father and mother and be united to his WIFE, and the two will become one flesh’? [6] So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what GOD has JOINED together, let man not separate.”

Quote:
This isn't even true. Obama did look around for different churches in DC. Ultimately, he decided to call the Evergreen Chapel at Camp david his church home. You know, the same place George W. Bush went. I suppose George W. Bush was also a Muslim and/or radical Christian.
Why Obama's church choice matters - Opinion - USATODAY.com

Quote:
In that passage, it is talking about those that pray publicly to show off how spiritual they are. Read the context. The Pharisees were notorious for that.

Quote:
This doesn't mean he was offended, just that he felt others might be. But I agree this is going a little too far into PC, but that's just the society we live in unfortunately. This isn't any indication of Obama's beliefs. heck, it probably wasn't even his idea to cover the statue, I'm sure one of his advisors told him to so people wouldn't complain

So forget the Christians who get offended?? And this does show us quite a bit about how deep his faith goes.

Quote:

Again....the Bible says "one" thing. If it's all over the place, then no one could know what God is telling us. We can never know what is true! And do you honestly think God is that confused that He didn't give us clear directives?? WE are the problem....not scripture. We want to change it to suit our tastes. We create a god that is amazing like us. He's okay with abortion and gay marriage. Well this sure is a different god than the one of scripture.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Thanks. I'm still puzzled about that one from American Thinker. Why on earth would the author criticize Dershowitz about Obama's policy toward Isreal? Besides being a looney thing to do, it makes following the writing extremely difficult.
The last time I did a reading and comprehension assignment was 17 years ago in college. I'll be fascinated to see how well I do here, especially since the last 3 years my brain has done a check out on me.

Apparently Dershowitz agrees with Obama's policy towards Israel and the author published in the "American Thinker", feels he rates the Obama policy with a week review of the events.

Israel issue: settlement expansion (West Bank)
Israel issue: security threat from a nuclear Iran

Obama's approach to these issues is to use "diplomacy as a means to prevent the development of nuclear weapons". Has Obama Turned on Israel? - WSJ.com Also, there should not be a linkage on the issue of Israel settlement expansion and a nuclear Iran.

Obama sees not a great importance in the issue of Israels settlement expansions in the West Bank. Unlike Pres. Bush.

And apparently Alan Dershowitz like the Obama administration does not seem to see where there is a security risk to Israel. Thus the opinion of 'a weak analysis".

Now here's the deal as I see it. (no documents provided to back it up)

Bush sent military to Iraq so as to support Israel. Bush tried to go in on the WMD charge. There wasn't any. Bush tried to obtain support from our allies and they wanted no part of it. (they could careless about Israel) They thought that calling the perps terrorists only fueled their psyche to becoming even more dangerous.

The Bush objective was of two things. Fight terrorists and support Israel. Kill two birds with one military operation, so as it may. Bush was in support of the "natural growth" of the West Bank.

Now I always thought that Bush declared the war without congressional approval. As commander and chief he was in his rights to do so as there was an attack committed on American soil and we were deemed in danger of another. However, it has been pointed out to me that congress did vote to go to war...

So why it is Presidential bashing and not Congress bashing...is beyond my thoughts and capabilities.

As for as the OP and this article that I pointed to, Obama is showing signs of sympathetic nature towards Iran and less towards Israel. (Actions speak louder than words)

Israel has been our ally since 1948. Is that any way to treat a friend? Some one that just may need to be called upon if a crisis were to happen. Which side is Obama's bread being buttered on?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:16 PM

97 posts, read 110,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He made public statements at the beginning AND end of Ramadan

National Day of Prayer isn't an overtly Christian holiday. Actually, it's not a Christian holiday period, but one that recognizes all faiths. So really it's irrelevant to the whole point of this thread anyway.
Quote:

Fair point, but the people at Georgetown aren't the ones complaining. They seem to be fine with it. And I already explained to you that Obama didn't necessarily want the figure covered up, in actuality he probably had nothing to do with the decision. heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the University itself thought it best to cover the statue. Georgetown is an extremely religiously tolerant institution. I did a lot of research on them and visited their campus back when I was in the college search process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies