Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,645,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If you would actually vote for a ban on interracial marriage that indeed makes you a racist. Its one thing and disgusting enough that you put race on the same level in importance as the character of the person your daughter is dating. Its beyond the pale that you think no one should be allowed to marry outside of their race.

Would your daughter be kicked out of the house if she was dating a black man? Would you disown her if she married outside of her race?
Alright, if that's how you feel about it. Again, racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Believing that multiculturalism is a terrible failure and that preserving one's heritage is important does not qualify one as racist.

It would be my preference to see an end in these types of unions, but to be honest I have no control over it outside my own house and I really don't care too much what strangers happen to walk into. It's their mistake.

Kicked out of the house for dating? That is a bit extreme. There's still a chance that it could be broken up at that point.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Oh no, you got me now!

Yea, I was the fat, overweight, freckled, pimpled, diseased smelly kid that people threw their twinkies at. Damn, I've been had.

I would love to see you post an actual intelligent rebuttal, BurtsBees, instead of cocky snide comments. Most folks who have responded to you have provided articulate replies. Why don't you at least attempt the same?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,348,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I am not black and as such do not identify with black culture, but do I feel that blacks themselves should embrace their own culture, history, and traditions? Absolutely. More pride in the black community will lead to less arbitrary blaming of whitey. Bill Cosby has essentially said as much.

If someone is of German and Italian descent, it is up to them which traditions they want to take from both cultures and to what extent. That's for another discussion.

I'm not sure what you mean by intermingle? I have quite a few friends of different backgrounds. Several white, one of a mixed Celtic and Eastern European-Jewish background, one of Mediterranean/Hispanic descent, a few Koreans who have seen themselves integrated into white families over the years, etc. As for marriage? No, I believe that is wrong, but it's a personal decision.

I always try to educate and am quite proud of my own heritage.
Maybe you are reading a little more than what Mr Cosby was trying to get people to understand. He was talking about taking responsibility for one's action and not blaming others for your misfortunes.

As for your "I have friends from different backgrounds" I have heard it all before. I see that you don't have any Black Americans in your collection. I say this because if you did you would know a little more about black american history than you do. Part of the problem that black americans have is the LACK of cultural knowledge which was due to slavery and thus are creating their own culture in the US. Incidentally, whose culture in Africa should the American Blacks emmulate? News flash! there were thousands of different tribes in Africa during the 1700s, not to mention that all US blacks did not directly come from Africa. This is the reason that a book called....hmmm Roots was made into a tv miniseries. During slavery the slave owners made it a priority that families were separated and blacks were not taught to read/write. This was the formula for the distruction of a history/culture of a people. If you really want to know why some black blame the "whiteman" for their current probelms..now you know. Bill Cosby and many others don't necessary agree with that train of thought, but we are very aware that it happened and will not act like it did not. If you were not to busy trying to make a point with a circle you possibly could understand this.

I think what the Koreans are doing is call assimilation, which is something believe it or not is quite common in this country. Nice thing about being Korean is that they can always go back to their own country to "learn more" about their ancestory regardless who they marry.

22,218 posts, read 19,526,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Wasn't there another state that still made it illegal after 1967?
South Carolina, which had it technically illegal till 1998, and the margins were pretty similar. 40% voted to keep the ban in Alabama, 38% voted to keep it in S.C. Granted these laws really were not enforced, and if it was enforced it would have been quickly shot down by the courts. However, the fact that it was technically illegal in these two states till 98 & 00, and keeping the ban got the support it did is scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So you are of mixed ancestry. No different than someone like Obama.
Mixed ethnic ancestry. Not mixed racial ancestry. The difference is enormous. Race is what society sees, not individual ethnicities. Some of mixed European heritage is still seen as white and someone of mixed African heritage is still seen as black.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,055,018 times
Quote:
Alright, if that's how you feel about it. Again, racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Believing that multiculturalism is a terrible failure and that preserving one's heritage is important does not qualify one as racist.

It would be my preference to see an end in these types of unions, but to be honest I have no control over it outside my own house and I really don't care too much what strangers happen to walk into. It's their mistake.

Kicked out of the house for dating? That is a bit extreme. There's still a chance that it could be broken up at that point.
What is the harm of your daughter marrying someone outside of her race? If the man is loving towards her and possesses good traits, why is something so superficial as skin pigmentation such as issue?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM

22,218 posts, read 19,526,196 times
Quote:

Which makes you a racist....

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What is the harm of your daughter marrying someone outside of her race? If the man is loving towards her and possesses good traits, why is something so superficial as skin pigmentation such as issue?
Why does this concern you so deeply?

The representation of this issue as being about skin pigmentation or melanin levels is so far off base. Race is much more than physical appearance. It is history. It is religion. It is language. It is tradition. I will see mine preserved. End of story.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,055,018 times
Quote:
Why does this concern you so deeply?

The representation of this issue as being about skin pigmentation or melanin levels is so far off base. Race is much more than physical appearance. It is history. It is religion. It is language. It is tradition. I will see mine preserved. End of story.
History, language, tradition, blah blah blah are learned concepts. You don't need to stay within your race to preserve these. Why does this concern me? Because it is because of ignorance such as yours that are preventing racial progress and harmony in our society. The very fact that you would vote against interracial marriage if you had the opportunity shows that you would like to abolish interracial marriage period, not just for your family. I feel so sorry for your daughter especially if she happens to fall in love with a non-white.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:03 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,253,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
South Carolina, which had it technically illegal till 1998, and the margins were pretty similar. 40% voted to keep the ban in Alabama, 38% voted to keep it in S.C. Granted these laws really were not enforced, and if it was enforced it would have been quickly shot down by the courts. However, the fact that it was technically illegal in these two states till 98 & 00, and keeping the ban got the support it did is scary.
Then you have folks like that Justice of the Peace in Louisiana who refused to marry an interracial couple. And this was only a few months ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies