Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM

981 posts, read 808,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Convincing as to why it shouldnt be part of the curriculum in public schools? I asked you a couple of times if you believe that the average kid who wants to know more does not have easy access to information outside of the classroom. I'll guess that you believe s/he does not.
Yes, and I showed you exactly why that proposition, as a counterargument, does not make any sense.

Quote:
Now I'll try a different tack. Taught, how? It would be part of Health class, or Biology, or what class? Would it be its own class? Full year or one semester? Or a chapter in the [Health, Biology] textbook, or a few paragraphs and discussion?

Or what? How do you envision it being taught?
For goodness' sake, just teach about GLBT history when it's appropriate to include it. It is interwoven in much of American history, particularly during the time leading up to the Civil Rights era, and throughout.

Quote:
If all you want to do is squabble, that's different. Just say something constructive.
I haven't squabbled. I think I've been pretty consistent in this thread about my stance, despite detractors.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,348,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Perfect example of why GLBT History should be a required course.

Although, as a gay person myself, I would limit the discussion to begin at the high school freshmen level and not exceed five days. That gay people have made significant accomplishments should be taught to avert the bigotry that our culture fosters, but it need not be dwelt upon. Whatever history classes are taught in the four years of high school should make ample mention of minorities who participated in our defining moments, but not be done in a way that overemphasizes their minority status.
Once again, please name some historically significant Americans who identified themselves as homosexual.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
For goodness' sake, just teach about GLBT history when it's appropriate to include it. It is interwoven in much of American history, particularly during the time leading up to the Civil Rights era, and throughout.
Sounds good.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
In the scope and sequence of student's 3 year HS history experience what you are suggesting would warrant a couple of paragraphs in a text and be about 15 minutes worth of classroom discussion.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:51 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,456,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
History? History? A history class of sexual orientation? Is there any other history class taught based on sex? You have got to be kidding me. There should be no history classes taught on anything except country or region. You don't really mean a history class, right?
Indeed. Boy o boy, these kinds of history classes based on sexual orientation will sure make America competitive with other nations as far as job skills and workplace qualifications are concerned. (/sarc)

Old 12-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
In the scope and sequence of student's 3 year HS history experience what you are suggesting would warrant a couple of paragraphs in a text and be about 15 minutes worth of classroom discussion.
That can be planned by the instructors themselves.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
That can be planned by the instructors themselves.
What can be planned? Are you suggesting that instructors augment their lessons with a contrived GLBT history??

Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What can be planned? Are you suggesting that instructors augment their lessons with a contrived GLBT history??
You are just being ridiculous and stirring up trouble for no reason.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 PM

45,542 posts, read 60,783,308 times
I like to thank you for proposing yet another unit to plan for, in addition to the required state tests, benchmark exams, pacing targets and special topics we already have to do.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I like to thank you for proposing yet another unit to plan for, in addition to the required state tests, benchmark exams, pacing targets and special topics we already have to do.
All I read is whining on this thread. This topic has really been blown out of proportion. It was a relatively innocuous suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies