Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 AM

272 posts, read 216,756 times

Advertisements

Its a damn shame Im going to have to pay for my children to attend private school. But what choice do I have when the public schools are teaching this useless BS. Cant stand what liberal academics have done to public education. It is now completely polluted with useless cirriculum while they tell you they dont have to teach handwriting because of the keyboard or basic math because of the calculator

worthless lazy scumbags with a political agenda

Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 AM

981 posts, read 809,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
Its a damn shame Im going to have to pay for my children to attend private school. But what choice do I have when the public schools are teaching this useless BS. Cant stand what liberal academics have done to public education. It is now completely polluted with useless cirriculum while they tell you they dont have to teach handwriting because of the keyboard or basic math because of the calculator

Awww, bless your heart. Would you like a cookie?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 AM

29,917 posts, read 39,554,669 times
How does being heterosexual/homosexual relate to history and people's choices and/or their influences on history? I don't see why that's so hard to understand. The only reason someone would want sexual orientation to be implemented into teaching is to indoctrinate. If people want to learn more about sexual orientation let them do that out of their own free will, i.e. electives.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,428,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If so, at what age/grade would it be "appropriate" to introduce said history into the curriculum?

For those of you who are voting no, could you give some reasons for your objection?
Depends on what "history" you are speaking of. I'm sorry, but your question is very vague.

Do you mean including famous people who were gay? Why should their sexual orientation require special notice?

Do you mean "gay history" from a Civil Rights perspective?

Please be more specific.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,053,260 times
Quote:

if you have the $$, then go for it. even some catholic schools teach about greek homosexuality in their history classes. i was shocked when my the 13 years old niece had a quiz where she had to memorize the definition of homosexual at her catholic school.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,922,175 times
Quote:
If so, at what age/grade would it be "appropriate" to introduce said history into the curriculum?

For those of you who are voting no, could you give some reasons for your objection?
Just like we how we teach American history in general. In elementary school you are given this rosey picture of pilgrims and natives working together. In middle school you start to learn that there were some differences. In high school you delve deeper into the differences. In college you get nearly the entire story.

I think that we can follow this model...we do it for nearly everything else.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM

37,827 posts, read 41,163,799 times
Quote:

History? History? A history class of sexual orientation? Is there any other history class taught based on sex? You have got to be kidding me. There should be no history classes taught on anything except country or region. You don't really mean a history class, right?

It's an okay college level elective.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,428,380 times
Quote:

And what, pray tell, has the cons done to remedy this situation?

Voucher programs?

Complaining?

Those two about sums it up. The first fixed nothing, the second accomplishes nothing.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 AM

981 posts, read 809,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How does being heterosexual/homosexual relate to history and people's choices and/or their influences on history? I don't see why that's so hard to understand. The only reason someone would want sexual orientation to be implemented into teaching is to indoctrinate. If people want to learn more about sexual orientation let them do that out of their own free will, i.e. electives.
I don't think you know much about history. Really, this perspective is just way off.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,356,858 times
Quote:
My stance is not that it should be a required subject, but that it should certainly be fully incorporated into history lessons at the appropriate time.
How? Until very recently, homosexual Americans kind of kept their sexual orientation 'in the closet'. Many might have been suspected of being gay, not many proclaimed themselves to be so. So, would you say that *insert name* accomplished *insert significant endeavor/act* and, oh, BTW, he was thought to be gay? Or do you have a long list of historically significant gay Americans? In the first case, historical gossip is not appropriate classroom material. In the second, does one's sexual orientation really contribute that much to one's accomplishments??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies