Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,599,381 times

Advertisements

i think you are introducing subjects way too soon for kids.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,728,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I'll tell you what - I'll stop opposing "gay history month", black history month, Kwanzaa (and every other made up joke holiday in December) and the rest when there is a month dedicated to the achievements of white, Christian, heterosexual men.
I actually can agree with you on that. It sounds like you're being consistent.

Believe it or not, I have advocated for a White History Month in the past. If other races are going to have a month, then Whites should have one as well.

But really, there probably shouldn't be any special time period set aside for these groups. It should just be American History, although mentioning the characteristics of historical figures as a part of the lesson should be allowed.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,955,888 times
Default celebrate this

This was distributed at a high-school gay rally. The detractors will say: mass resistance is a homophobe group, it wasn't GLSEN but an umbrulla group, only ten were available for distribution and they didn't realize this was not high school literature.

Massresistance, despite their racist leaning, they have concrete proof of bull**** flying beneath the radar. If I hold a party and someone is selling heroin, I have some culpability. I'm a former "community organizer, AmeriCorp Alumni" we have more literature underneath our table or back in the trunk of the car and plus we recognize what is in our organization's literature.

http://www.massresistance.info/downl...eBlackBook.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I can understand not wanting to put minorities on a pedestal, but your original reaction to this question was outrageous. Mentioning the word "gay" in a classroom doesn't equate to teaching children about fisting.
I fault the gay organizations for letting things like the pamphlet above from becoming infused with their public service message.

Last edited by mossomo; 12-13-2009 at 12:55 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
to whichever one of you repped me and said that i liked "my stool pushed in", - thank you for the rep point
Dude, it wasn't me (!) - although that would have been interesting: A gay guy insulting another gay guy by using an anti-gay joke like that.

I actually would enjoy that kind of attention.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Kwanzaa? A fake holiday?
Every other joke holiday in December? Like Christmas?

And go for it. I love white men.
Yes, a fake, made-up holiday conceived by immature Marxists who wanted to spit in the face of white America and lost because most blacks I know have never celebrated it.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
There are 12 months out of the year. Pick one.

You should especially be proud of Columbus Day. What white Christian male wouldn't be.
Indeed, I am. Columbus Day isn't considered a "white holiday", but growing up in a largely Italian family, we often celebrated, attended the parade, and my grandmother made her famous lasagne. I can taste it now.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, a fake, made-up holiday conceived by immature Marxists who wanted to spit in the face of white America and lost because most blacks I know have never celebrated it.
This is true. Kwanzaa's legitimacy is dubious, at best.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 AM

981 posts, read 809,079 times
Quote:
Indeed, I am. Columbus Day isn't considered a "white holiday", but growing up in a largely Italian family, we often celebrated, attended the parade, and my grandmother made her famous lasagne. I can taste it now.
Excellent!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I actually can agree with you on that. It sounds like you're being consistent.

Believe it or not, I have advocated for a White History Month in the past. If other races are going to have a month, then Whites should have one as well.

But really, there probably shouldn't be any special time period set aside for these groups. It should just be American History, although mentioning the characteristics of historical figures as a part of the lesson should be allowed.
Agreed.

I personally think white history month is silly, along with black history month, gay history month, and everything else, but as long as the others are going to have time set aside to recognize their acheivements, there are plenty of achievements that came from white men, even if modern America doesn't recognize or respect this fact.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I personally think white history month is silly, along with black history month, gay history month, and everything else, but as long as the others are going to have time set aside to recognize their acheivements, there are plenty of achievements that came from white men, even if modern America doesn't recognize or respect this fact.
As the country becomes more multicultural and if we continue to have a Black History Month, Latino History Month, etc., then having a White History Month will become even more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies