Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM

981 posts, read 809,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Gay history month? This country is making itself look so foolish. Thank God for the EU, as we still don't look quite as ridiculous in comparison.

Garbage like "gay history month" is the stuff that will turn people who used to be pretty ambivalent about homosexuality into people who are growing more and more disgusted with it.
Newsflash!

They were already disgusted with it to begin with. Gay history month just gives fuel to the fires of ignorance, bigotry, and discrimination for them.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,730,657 times
Quote:
Garbage like "gay history month" is the stuff that will turn people who used to be pretty ambivalent about homosexuality into people who are growing more and more disgusted with it.
I doubt that. The people who are disgusted by the idea of teaching about gay history were probably anti-gay to begin with. My guess is that they would be against even a Gay History Day - probably even against a Gay History Hour!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
There's also a history of vaccum cleaners. I don't find it quite as important and imperative for young minds to focus on as American history, British history, French history, German history, Oriental history, etc. Yet I still find it more worthwhile than gay history.
Gay history is American history. I feel like a broken record on this thread.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,646,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
thank god for the EU? i thought that you conservative types hated the EU and it acceptance of gays?
I don't really care about what or what is not accepted on a continent in which I do not even reside, but yes, I dislike the EU - That's for a very different discussion though. Conservative dislike of the EU has next to nothing to do with homosexuality. The actual acceptance of homosexuality in Europe is a cultural and regional issue, just as it is in the United States. What is accepted in Berlin or London is not what is accepted in the Polish countryside.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
There's also a history of vaccum cleaners. I don't find it quite as important and imperative for young minds to focus on as American history, British history, French history, German history, Oriental history, etc. Yet I still find it more worthwhile than gay history.
And why would that be?

Although I understand that a lot of people would be against having a dedicated time to teach gay history, my impression is that most people are okay with a teacher mentioning that a particular historical figure was gay or bisexual.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Newsflash!

They were already disgusted with it to begin with. Gay history month just gives fuel to the fires of ignorance, bigotry, and discrimination for them.
I personally didn't care about homosexuality until activists began to beat it to death for political gain.

I'll tell you what - I'll stop opposing "gay history month", black history month, Kwanzaa (and every other made up joke holiday in December) and the rest when there is a month dedicated to the achievements of white, Christian, heterosexual men.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And why would that be?

Although I understand that a lot of people would be against having a dedicated time to teach gay history, my impression is that most people are okay with a teacher mentioning that a particular historical figure was gay or bisexual.
Yes, Alexander the Great was likely bisexual. If a class is focusing on that era of Greek history and studying Alexander's life in depth, it would probably be worthwhile to mention.

That is normal. "Gay history month" and "gay studies" oriented toward school children are insane.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Forgive me, but keep indoctrination out of schools. Stop putting minority groups on pedestals.
I can understand not wanting to put minorities on a pedestal, but your original reaction to this question was outrageous. Mentioning the word "gay" in a classroom doesn't equate to teaching children about fisting.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,594,936 times
Quote:
I personally didn't care about homosexuality until activists began to beat it to death for political gain.

I'll tell you what - I'll stop opposing "gay history month", black history month, Kwanzaa (and every other made up joke holiday in December) and the rest when there is a month dedicated to the achievements of white, Christian, heterosexual men.
Kwanzaa? A fake holiday?
Every other joke holiday in December? Like Christmas?

And go for it. I love white men.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:

There are 12 months out of the year. Pick one.

You should especially be proud of Columbus Day. What white Christian male wouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies