Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I am glad Obama is supporting the current version of the Health Care Reform bill, even without the public option.

It shows Obama is flexible, and he is doing everything possible to get some form of Health Care Reform passed, even if it isn't 100% of what he originally wanted.

I would rather see 75% of changes needed passed, rather than 0%.

And 0% is all the Republican ("Party of NO") would have accomplished, had they been in power.

And just like Obama is flexible, so am I.

I don't hold Obama to every single word he says.

I understand that situations change over time, and in order for Obama to make progress, he needs to be flexible, and change accordingly.

Obama couldn't have known that Senator Joe ("the traitor") Lieberman would become a "road block" at the last minute with the public opition. That was a complete surprise to all.

And Obama did what was necessary, and gave into Lieberman.

As I said, I would rather have 75% of the changes pass, rather than 0%.

And that's why I will continue to support Obama, and I will ABSOLUTELY vote for him again in 2012!!!

To subsidize those who can’t pay, the Senate bill would make families earning two to four times the poverty level who don’t have employer-sponsored insurance surrender 8% to 12% of their income to insurance payments, or pay a fine. In another effort to make the insurance payments “affordable,” the Senate bill calls for the lowest cost plan to cover only sixty percent of health care costs. “In other words,” wrote Dr. Andrew Coates in a November 23 article, “a guarantee of insurance industry dominance and the continued privatization of health care in every arena.”

if you are happy subsidizing the insurance industry and rewarding wall street you are probably in the minority. i don't know anyone else who wants these changes to pass.

Last edited by floridasandy; 12-24-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 06:04 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Who is running in 2012 for the GOP?

Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Umm didn't Obama also state on many occasions that he would NEVER sign a bill that would increase the federal deficit? Guess all the voters should have assumed that that was also a load of bull too? And didn't they just vote to raise the debt ceiling? Why would they need to do that if they weren't predicting the federal deficit to balloon?
whatyousay; Obama said a LOT OF THINGS, too bad he did not mean them.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:28 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

I voted for Obama. I bought into the "change" hype.

I am admitting I was wrong. So far, there are two major lies. First, getting out of the war. Second, I could swear that he said that he was "not going to sign any healthcare bill that didn't have a public option." What other lies have surfaced?

As for the war, I would like to see it over. And for the healthcare measure, it doesn't bother me because I already have coverage. The problem is that he LIED. The biggest problem is that McCain would have been the same way. I will be voting third party next time. I am sick of the lies, lies and more lies. I just can't believe I let myself buy into the Obama hype.
Well, I'm going to disabuse you of both of these false notions, at which point I'll ask you to admit that you were wrong about being wrong.

First, as for "the war", you'll have to be more specific. You see, not only did candidate Obama never, ever, ever say that he was going to get us out of the war in Afghanistan, but in fact, he promised he'd commit more troops to it, which, as we all know, he just did. Here, I'll show you. . .
Obama promise No. 134: PolitiFact | Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan

"As Obama removes our combat brigades from Iraq, he will send at least two additional brigades to Afghanistan, where the Taliban is resurgent. He will also provide our armed forces with the reset capability that they need. He will replace essential equipment, and he will ensure that our men and women in uniform get the care and support they have earned."
For G-d's sake, his campaign website is STILL UP! You can read what he had to say about it directly from the original source!
"Resurgent Al Qaeda in Afghanistan: The decision to invade Iraq diverted resources from the war in Afghanistan, making it harder for us to kill or capture Osama Bin Laden and others involved in the 9/11 attacks. Nearly seven years later, the Taliban has reemerged in southern Afghanistan while Al Qaeda has used the space provided by the Iraq war to regroup, train and plan for another attack on the United States. 2007 was the most violent year in Afghanistan since the invasion in 2001. The scale of our deployments in Iraq continues to set back our ability to finish the fight in Afghanistan, producing unacceptable strategic risks."
As for not signing a bill without a public option -- he hasn't signed ANY bill yet. The House bill has a public option in it, and they've said flat out they they're not going to just roll over for the Senate's version in Committee. You can bet your bottom dollar that Nancy Pelosi will be fighting tooth and nail to keep the public option in there. And as far as I know, LIEberman is the only scum who was against it after he was for it, so there's still time to work on him or on a Republican like Olympia Snowe to support the final bill before it even hits Obama's desk.

So take a chill pill, and while you're at it, care to admit you were wrong again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

what i would have liked was aside from the presidential election was a lil bit more participation in the democratic process. just 1 question did you email your rep and senator to say
kill the bill?
i did and have been asking CDF posters to do the same for weeks, did they?
congress does not read CDF.
I've been writing, calling and faxing with exactly the opposite message (see my 2 blog posts), so I guess we cancel each other out.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
whatyousay; Obama said a LOT OF THINGS, too bad he did not mean them.
Really! That has got to be the biggest understatement of 2009 that every American can relate to!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
When he said we would see unemployment as high as 8% if the stimulus bill wasn't passed -------is that a lie ? ( or just a stupid coment )

Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Default It's What We Learn After We Know It All That Counts !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I voted for Obama. I bought into the "change" hype.

I am admitting I was wrong. So far, there are two major lies. First, getting out of the war. Second, I could swear that he said that he was "not going to sign any healthcare bill that didn't have a public option." What other lies have surfaced?

As for the war, I would like to see it over. And for the healthcare measure, it doesn't bother me because I already have coverage. The problem is that he LIED. The biggest problem is that McCain would have been the same way. I will be voting third party next time. I am sick of the lies, lies and more lies. I just can't believe I let myself buy into the Obama hype.
Good Afternoon,

kentuckydad95 I know precisely what you mean in this most unfortunate matter !

So many of my Democratic friends way up here on the East Coast are absolutely voicing their utter disappointment and embarrassment regarding the very same matter as stated above.

The DINO'S in the current Administration as well as so many other ones in the Washington "Political Circus" are without a doubt shamelessly ruining the once proud and well respected Democratic Party !

These good folks have voiced many valid reasons why they shall absolutely never make the same disasrerous mistake at the polls ever again !

A most wise decision indeed !

Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 12-24-2009 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: No reason / Thanks / Lamar

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 PM

14 posts, read 74,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
1) We have a timetable for withdraw in Iraq. No lie.

2) He campaigned on us fighting in Afganistan. No lie.

3) Well, yes, he will be signing a bill that does not have a public option ... so I guess he "lied" here. But as I take all politicians with a grain of salt, I am personally ok with this as we are still getting a goood amount of reform passed. Would rather just have single-payer, but that is not happening for awhile.
1) Wrong! He said he was going to begin massive troop withdawls beginning in August of 2009. He said this while campaigning last year.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I am surprised supporters are just now waking up to Obama.

I have been asking and no one answers "Have you ever seen or can you name an honest politician from Chicago in the last 50-100 years ?"

He's from Chicago where lying and dishonesty from politicians is the norm. What else can you expect ?

It's just business as usual.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We really shouldn't close it. We own it. It's secure, and there is simply no reason to move those people to our shores. Very risky.
You are very right but today the Dems voted to expand the national debt to pay for things like moving those people to the mainland. Therefore, he can move them and not "break the bank". They are very silly and allow themselves to be twisted around the boss's thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies