Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
People in developed countries take showers.

People in India jump into a filthy river.
And when they get vaccinated they stop getting measles.

They're trying to reduce deaths from measles in India by providing a revised vaccine schedule and more vaccine doses.

UNICEF - Immunization - Reducing measles mortality

Over FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND KIDS have literally been saved from dying of measles each year since 2000 solely because they have access to the vaccine now. Do you really think this is because they're somehow now taking showers they weren't eleven years ago?

Look at a relatively recent vaccine. Before the introduction of the HiB vaccine:

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/What Would Happen If We Stopped Vaccinations

About one of every 200 U.S. children under 5 years of age got an invasive Hib disease. Hib meningitis once killed 600 children each year and left many survivors with deafness, seizures, or mental retardation.

Since the introduction of the vaccine in 1987:

From 1994-1998, fewer than 10 fatal cases of invasive Hib disease were reported each year.

Do you really think we've gotten cleaner since 1987? Or maybe just MAYBE the reason we've gone from 20,000 cases of an ugly disease to less than ten is because of vaccines?

A little nod to science. Just five seconds is all I ask.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
As cited in one of the articles a few pages back, measles is much more dangerous in undeveloped countries where crowding and unsanitary conditions are prevalent. It was an article from the UK.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As cited in one of the articles a few pages back, measles is much more dangerous in undeveloped countries where crowding and unsanitary conditions are prevalent. It was an article from the UK.
Please read the rest of the thread including my prior post. With the introduction of the vaccine measles worldwide cases have dropped drastically. The only place they haven't fallen as much is India where they only give one dose of the vaccine rather than two.

Even in developed countries about 20 percent of all measles cases wind up in the hospital. I find it baffling that the anti-vax contingent argues that vaccines are dangerous because of the risk of minor side effects yet feels compelled to downplay extremely dangerous vaccine preventable diseases.

You do not want to get measles even if you live in the United States or UK. It probably won't be that deadly with a three in one thousand risk of death but it's hardly going to be an experience most people would relish.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Meaning? Most vaccine-preventable diseases are airborne, not GI. Polio is an exception.
Ahhh-choo! It's not that simple.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
It really is. Vaccinate against measles and you probably won't get measles. You can't shower away measles or organic food your way to protection against diphtheria. You can't breastfeed your way against tetanus or take homeopathy to prevent mumps or HiB.

You can only vaccinate. If you can't get vaccinated you can only pray that everyone does to protect you.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Meaning? Most vaccine-preventable diseases are airborne, not GI. Polio is an exception.

I once ended up knee-deep in the Flint River.

Retrieving golf balls. Glad I wasn't into snorkeling at the time.

I think it immunized me against everything for life.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
The reason measles is more dangerous in such countries is that the residents of those countries are often malnourished before they get sick, and there is a lack of health care. That doesn't mean that measles isn't dangerous in developed countries such as the UK (or US).

Even if you are anti-immunization, or sittting on the fence, DO NOT believe all this ant-vaccine literature about how mild these diseases are. Many of these diseases are very serious, and you never know who they're going to be more serious for.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM

Management
  • Uncomplicated measles is usually self-limiting and treatment is mainly symptomatic with paracetamol or ibuprofen and plenty of fluids. Patients should remain at home to limit disease spread.
  • Monitor carefully for signs of complications and consider hospitalisation if they appear.

Complications4,11Rates of complications vary by age, geographical region and outbreak. They increase where there is co-existent immunodeficiency, malnutrition, vitamin A deficiency and high exposure levels due to overcrowding.

I was referring to the rate of complications when I said it was more dangerous, not the rate of infection. That's what I think the article is trying to say.

I HAVE had measles. BIG DEAL. All kids had the usual childhood diseases and mostly it took some staying in bed and good food. Same with chicken pox and mumps. There is NO COMPARISON between these childhood diseases and something like smallpox or whooping cough.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I HAVE had measles. BIG DEAL. All kids had the usual childhood diseases and mostly it took some staying in bed and good food. Same with chicken pox and mumps. There is NO COMPARISON between these childhood diseases and something like smallpox or whooping cough.
I was cruelly treated for chicken pox with chicken soup. (Avgolemeno)

http://www.el-portal.net/Avgolemeno-soup-recipe-3113.html (broken link)

And for mumps with Greek meat balls.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1627...243192,00.html

Last edited by ergohead; 01-01-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 PM

I was cruelly treated for chicken pox with chicken soup.

And for mumps with Greek meat balls.

ergohead, I heart you! LOL

With measles I had to suffer though endless story books being read to me by my parents while I lay in bed resting. And my food came on a tray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies