Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.00%
Little concern 13 9.29%
Moderately concerned 25 17.86%
Very Concerned 53 37.86%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that every American isn't concerned. The right to get married is a civil right that is being denied to these individuals. It's amazing that in this time, we still have a fascist oligarchy that can somehow dictate that others don't have the right to get married. In the past, it was Southerners and racist whites denying African Americans civil rights. Now it's the Evangelical and Religious right that is doing it. In the next 20 years, gays will have the right to get married and this will be looked upon with embarrassment as our children will ask how was it possible that gays were not allowed to marry much like we asked how Blacks were not allowed to vote or sit at the same table as Whites. And just like back in the 60's, you had opponents arguing against Civil Rights and denying they were racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Your post is not only silly, it's insulting. If you would liken your marriage to that between a human and an inanimate object, than have at it. I think most fighting for marriage equality are more concerned about marriage between 2 unrelated consenting adults who love one another. Maybe it's just me, but when I think of love or marriage, the first thing to pop into my head has never been the TV or amphibians. Guess I'm strange that way.
I'm not likening my marriage as you suggest. I'm likening your redefinition of marriage to it. Who gave you the authority or permission to redefine a concept that is as old as civilization itself, that the family unit - based in male and female pairing - is the foundation of any society. And if we're now going to redefine it, let's all have input. My suggestions are no less valid than yours. And maybe it's just me, but when I think of love and marriage it never involves Adam and Steve. Guess I'm traditional that way. What happens behind closed doors should stay there, and that's your private business. To attempt to drag it into the public square, and demand not only acceptance but endorsement is absurd. I will never have to explain to my daughter that when we pass a church and see two men in tuxes (or equally likely, two men in wedding dresses) running hand in hand down the steps, that it's in any way ok or normal or anything that should be celebrated.

You have every right that I do in society. If you abrogate some of those rights by your own choosing, do not demand that society readjust it's paradigms to accomodate your behavior.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I will never have to explain to my daughter that when we pass a church and see two men in tuxes (or equally likely, two men in wedding dresses) running hand in hand down the steps, that it's in any way ok or normal or anything that should be celebrated.
It's likely that your daughter will be more liberal on the issue than you are, so you won't need to explain anything to her. In fact, she may be able to explain a few things to you.

The fact that you think it's "equally likely" that two men would wear wedding dresses tells me that you're not very educated about sexual orientation or human sexuality. Consider educating yourself. The vast majority of gay men are not cross-dressers.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-05-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
And think about this; it is straight farmers going after the sheep, not gay farmers. Beastiality seems to be more of a fad for straight people, than for gays or lesbians.
What are your sources for such claims? Has a study been done by reputable researchers into the orientation of sheep-banging farmers? (Seems like a ripe topic for government funding.) I could state that only gay farmers are involved in such antics and without providing backup, my claim is as valid (or invalid) as yours.

Let's keep on topic. I think beastiality is another thread altogether. Or is the topic of beastiality of special interest to you? Anything you'd like to get into the open here?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'm not likening my marriage as you suggest. I'm likening your redefinition of marriage to it. Who gave you the authority or permission to redefine a concept that is as old as civilization itself, that the family unit - based in male and female pairing - is the foundation of any society. And if we're now going to redefine it, let's all have input. My suggestions are no less valid than yours. And maybe it's just me, but when I think of love and marriage it never involves Adam and Steve. Guess I'm traditional that way. What happens behind closed doors should stay there, and that's your private business. To attempt to drag it into the public square, and demand not only acceptance but endorsement is absurd. I will never have to explain to my daughter that when we pass a church and see two men in tuxes (or equally likely, two men in wedding dresses) running hand in hand down the steps, that it's in any way ok or normal or anything that should be celebrated.

You have every right that I do in society. If you abrogate some of those rights by your own choosing, do not demand that society readjust it's paradigms to accomodate your behavior.
Funny, because when I think of marriage I think of people who love each other just proclaiming it on a piece of paper. Doesn't matter what sex they are, just that they're in love. And yes, what happens behind closed doors should stay there....so why are you announcing your sex life by getting married? I don't want to know about it, I don't want you shoving it in my face. Keep it in the bedroom.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
WRONG!!! We don't have the right to get married, unless we are in the few states that allow it.
No you're WRONG

You have the right to marry any member of the opposite sex you want to just like every one else.

(Close family members aside)

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Here is one story; last July on the 17th my husband had a bleed out on his brain and had to be flown to San Francisco for an emergency craniotomy. By the fourth day of his hospital stay, we knew something was amiss. The doctors and nurses would not answer my questions or his. He called me and said that they were not providing him any information as to when he would be operated on and what his condition and prognosis was. He asked me to send them either our marriage license or the power of attorney to quell their concerns. I sent them a fax along with the power of attorney, I asked them in the fax if they treat all straight couples the same and told them that their discrimination against us was wrong. By the next morning the staff were so nice that it was almost sickening. We were treated fine from that point forward, but I never should have had to show proof that we were indeed married. They should have believed the both of us. If they had not of capitulated, believe me you, I would have driven the 300 miles and been pounding on their desks so quick that their heads would spin. Fortunately my spouse had the craniotomy and is recovering very well.
I am glad your partner is doing well and I am sorry you had to go through all of that.

My step-dad's mom is a lesbian and the stories she and her partner have told me make me pretty worried.
They have to jump through so many hoops just for some resemblance of equality. Quite sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This remains a huge issue despite having legal documents to support your relationship. A very dear friend of mine died recently, and despite the fact that she and her partner were together for 36 years, and had all the pertinent documents, medical decisions were continually deferred to her brother who lives across the country, and who she saw once a year. It was awkward and outright wrong. It's not the hospitals fault, they are just trying to avoid a law suit as this situation and the documentation has become so complicated. There's only one solution, and it's WAAAAY overdue. The irony is that my husband and I don't even share the same last name, and nobody has ever asked to see proof that we are married in these situations, and yet someone who has gone to extreme lengths legally to ensure their relationship is recognized does not get that same consideration. It really is appalling.

It truly is.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What is this? 1955?

I pity those who reject science.

LOL Gays by their very relationship reject science. Don't you know those parts don't go together? Take a biology class on the human body and how it is designed to work. The muscle structure and how they work says "hey buddy that's not an entrance"

Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
LOL Gays by their very relationship reject science. Don't you know those parts don't go together? Take a biology class on the human body and how it is designed to work. The muscle structure and how they work says "hey buddy that's not an entrance"
That's okay. I think I have a better understanding of human sexuality than you do. Thanks for being so concerned about me and all of the homosexuals of the world.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
WRONG!!! We don't have the right to get married, unless we are in the few states that allow it.
Why get married if your gay???
Most are horn dogs and will always cheat on their partner!
Getting married is way overrated!
People do that to have a family.
Go ahead and get married and watch your partner cheat
within months of your marriage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies