Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Yep, as I said in another thread: a crack team of investigators, about what we'd expect from Orly.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:32 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, there is no conceivable rationale whatsoever for him to **** away his career this way. None.

Then what is your rationale for his non rationale?

So why would racial prejudice be any less likely a reason as any other?

I merely asked for clarification of your statement with a reply of my own thoughts.

But in point of fact, that is not what I was saying at all. Prejudice is prejudice, whether it be against a race, a party or a point on the political spectrum between left and right.

Then in this case what, in point of fact, were you referring to?

Okay, now here is an area where I know from first hand experience that your argument is patently meretricious. I am a West Point graduate and ex-Army officer. I knew as a 2LT (let alone 18 years and four ranks later) what a lawful order was and what it was not. I knew how the chain-of-command worked, I knew that none of my orders except my commission itself came from POTUS. And I knew the severity and consequences of missing movement, disobeying an order, and dereliction of duty.

The issue is not ignorance, because a LTC has no such excuse. He had 18 years of experience functioning withing the Military chain-of-command and UCMJ. He has probably sat on a court martial or two himself. What he has done is beyond question stupid. But hey, even in Medical School, not everybody graduates at the top of the class.

I will not but mention in passing that he is an Osteopath, not an MD indicating already that he took the less demanding path to a Doctor's title, and that he is a "flight surgeon," a specialty the services do not reserve for their best and brightest.

Further, ignoring that there is hardly a strong correlation between intelligence and military decorations, he is frankly rather ordinarily decorated for an LTC at a time when we have been in two wars for almost a decade. His collection of service ribbons and merit commendations is completely boilerplate.

It is easy to see that you believe you have a superior intellect, so much so that you find it necessary to argue over semantics, (is he stupid or is he ignorant). I made my point but do not find the necessity to argue about a man's IQ or mention "in passing" that he is just an Osteopath, or that he does not have as many medals as you, at least this is your implication and given your ego, fits quite nicely.

I normally thank those who serve our country for their service and I will thank you as well but, you need to come down off that high horse sir. You have utterly failed to impress me with your attempt to place yourself into a position to be so judgmental of a fellow serviceman.

There are those who would say that throwing yourself on a grenade to protect others is stupid while others would see it as heroic, and what this man is doing, in my opinion, is heroic, he is throwing himself on a grenade trying to protect other people and the constitution of the United States.
Answers and questions in bold.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Quote:
There are those who would say that throwing yourself on a grenade to protect others is stupid while others would see it as heroic, and what this man is doing, in my opinion, is heroic, he is throwing himself on a grenade trying to protect other people and the constitution of the United States.
You sir are delusional to think Lakin is doing this to protect anybody other than
his cowardly self...
Oh and you judging somebody of being egotistical, well...
Pot-Kettle-Black

Last edited by meson; 05-13-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
.......what this man is doing, in my opinion, is heroic, he is throwing himself on a grenade trying to protect other people and the constitution of the United States.
You've got to be kidding. How is his little stunt going to do that? It won't force Obama to come forth with any thing the birthers are fishing for anymore than the 67 (?) other lawsuits did.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post

You sir are delusional to think Lakin is doing this to protect anybody other than
his cowardly self...
That is your opinion, no need to bemoan those who have a different one unless it makes you feel better.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Oh and you judging somebody of being egotistical, well...
Pot-Kettle-Black
Are you the pot or the kettle?

Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Quote:
Are you the pot or the kettle?
I'm neither, maybe you're both Roy...

Edit: sorry I meant 'soldboy...

Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You've got to be kidding. How is his little stunt going to do that? It won't force Obama to come forth with any thing the birthers are fishing for anymore than the 67 (?) other lawsuits did.
I am not kidding, that is how I see it. He believes in the Constitution and the law of the land. He believes as I do that there is a question about Obama's eligibility and this is his why of trying to bring a resolution to the matter and probably to his extreme loss. I will wait until after the court martial before I speak to that matter but I will say that I doubt this gets that far and that in itself should look very suspicious if it dos not happen. If anyone can be POTUS then change the law, do not ignore it. It would be easy to put this to bed but rather than release his VBC he has lawyers blocking every move to get any information.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I'm neither, maybe you're both Roy...

Edit: sorry I meant 'soldboy...
I see you went to the wit party with half a costume...

Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Answers and questions in bold.
It would be a lot easier to respond if you used the quoting function. It's not that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT
Then what is your rationale for his non rationale?
There is none. I just said that. "Rationale" demands actual reasoning. Lakin has done anything but think this through reasonably.

Quote:
Then in this case what, in point of fact, were you referring to?
I already just gave you at least three solid possibilities. Do you really need more?

Quote:
It is easy to see that you believe you have a superior intellect, so much so that you find it necessary to argue over semantics, (is he stupid or is he ignorant). I made my point but do not find the necessity to argue about a man's IQ or mention "in passing" that he is just an Osteopath, or that he does not have as many medals as you, at least this is your implication and given your ego, fits quite nicely.
Excuse me? You are the one who made such a point over "ignorant" and "stupid" meaning two different things, and I merely agreed with you and made my case for his being "stupid." For your accusation that I'm "arguing over semantics" to be any more ironic, you would probably have to actually rust.

I said exactly nothing about my intelligence or my decorations. I merely pointed out that your assessment of Lakins education and decorations were (more irony here) derived from ignorance regarding both. (You may consider it semantics, but I did not just call you stupid. See how that works?)

As to my ego or intellectual superiority over Lakin, I will only point out the following distinction between us. And yes it is a prediction that I look forward to talking about with you again once the prediction is fulfilled.

In another 12 months, Lakin will be in Leavenworth Prison, and I will not.

Quote:
I normally thank those who serve our country for their service and I will thank you as well but, you need to come down off that high horse sir. You have utterly failed to impress me with your attempt to place yourself into a position to be so judgmental of a fellow serviceman.
I'm not all that worried about impressing you. My Congressman had enough confidence in my judgment to nominate me for West Point. The President of the United States had enough confidence in my judgment to commission me as an officer in the US Army. The Army had enough confidence in my judgment to make me a Jumpmaster and give me command of an Airborne Artillery Battery. I was considered to have enough judgment to sit on several courts martial where my actual job was to judge fellow servicemen.

So... I'm not going to take your rejection personally.

Quote:
Throwing yourself on a grenade to save one's fellows is certainly heroic.

Shooting yourself in the head while sitting in the barracks is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies