Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM

757 posts, read 803,070 times

Advertisements

Afghanistan was the home of the Taliban who assisted/trained those who attacked us on 9/11. That said I do not think Afghanistan is a winnable war either. We should pull our troops out and bring them home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Niether did Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unocentavo View Post
Don't you know that republicans are memory deficient? They are hypocritical and history revisionist to the max. They are only concerned with getting the black guy out of office.
Ahh, there it is again. That handy little racecard. Let me ask... do they hand those out with your Democrat card or are they part of the same card? Like one side is the race card, flip it over and there's your dem card?

It's my opinion that one of the big reasons for Bush's huge drop in favorability among voters was his lack of fiscal conservancy. Why do you think the GOP is currently in a complete state of disarray? A lot of that has to do with the fact that conservatives feel they were duped by the past administration. Hence, the popularity of the tea party movement.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM

One of the justifications for invading Iraq was to "spread Democracy" in the region. How many Democracies have came into being since Bush invaded Iraq? Not to mention the entire reason he wanted to spread democracy was to protect the flow of oil from the region.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I love when Bush Sr. said "And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent, my opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them, ‘Read my lips: no new taxes.’"

Read my lips: no new taxes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it's okay if GOPer's raise taxes, just not those evil pinko liberals.

I love hypocrisy, it makes the day smell bright and clean.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Bush used 9/11 to justify invading Iraq. Any patriotic American should have been outraged. Bush lost approval because Americans wised up to the man. They came to learn he was a liar. Especially on the main issue at the time, Iraq. Bush was saying one thing while reality stated another. Factor in his lack of response to Katrina, torturing detainees, devaluation of the dollar, collapse of the economy. The man was a plague on America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Ahh, there it is again. That handy little racecard. Let me ask... do they hand those out with your Democrat card or are they part of the same card? Like one side is the race card, flip it over and there's your dem card?

It's my opinion that one of the big reasons for Bush's huge drop in favorability among voters was his lack of fiscal conservancy. Why do you think the GOP is currently in a complete state of disarray? A lot of that has to do with the fact that conservatives feel they were duped by the past administration. Hence, the popularity of the tea party movement.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
W expanded the Federal Government more than any President before him. Bush also doubled the Federal debt. The cumulative debt of the United States under Bush in the last 8 completed fiscal years was approximately $4.3 trillion, or about 43% of the total national debt of ~$10.0 trillion as of September 2008. Where were the tea partiers then? I guess if Obama were a white Republican there would be no tea parties.
Totally agree with your last statement. They were waiting to be told what to do, by someone who also knew that to be true and took advantage of it.

FreedomWorks | Lower Taxes, Less Government, More Freedom

Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
[quote=[B]whatyousay;12341151[/b]]

Quote:
it's my opinion that one of the big reasons for Bush's huge drop in favorability among voters was his lack of fiscal conservancy.

why did he win in 04 then?
he still had tons of supporters, socially. and then the neos.. fox backed him, they didnt slam him one bit no one knew how we pay for that war, but they knew its us whos paying. but partisan ppl didnt give adamn. voting for someone based on war is stupid he could do one thing in war and fail at everything else

Quote:
Why do you think the GOP is currently in a complete state of disarray?
Not because of that, you have people in the GOP slamming one another and radio shock jocks who are influential being disrespectful to the chairman of the party... you have different types of conservatives for one. you have people apologizing limbaugh what kinda politician apologizes to a radio host? talk about incompetent the GOP are a joke, and so are many democrats.. i developed a distaste for what pelosi said about obama yesterday with that big ass smile on her face, but hey myabe she told the truth and that truth fits all politicians whether democrat or republican regardless of ideology

Quote:
A lot of that has to do with the fact that conservatives feel they were duped by the past administration. Hence, the popularity of the tea party movement
and why would it be any different come 2012 its the same cycle over and over

Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Bush used 9/11 to justify invading Iraq. Any patriotic American should have been outraged. Bush lost approval because Americans wised up to the man. They came to learn he was a liar. Especially on the main issue at the time, Iraq. Bush was saying one thing while reality stated another. Factor in his lack of response to Katrina, torturing detainees, devaluation of the dollar, collapse of the economy. The man was a plague on America.
You are talking from the perspective of someone who never supported Bush or any republican. The people who slammed him for Iraq, gitmo, katrina were never the ones who supported him in the first place... hence, were never included in positive polling. He lost favorability with his base for his spending.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I believe if you pull out a world map, and find Iraq, and then look at its relative juxtaposition to world affairs, I believe you will recognize why the United States wanted a presence in Iraq. Do I believe that Saddam was an imminent threat? Not necessarily. But I do believe that stratgically, when you look at the geographic location of Iraq, and its proximity to our stated enemies, it makes perfect sense to be there. We will always have an ally in Iraq in a strategic part of the world because of GWB.
I pulled out the map, and Iraq is right next to places we already have a presence: Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. I'm not seeing the "perfect sense" in being there as you do.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You are talking from the perspective of someone who never supported Bush or any republican. The people who slammed him for Iraq, gitmo, katrina were never the ones who supported him in the first place... hence, were never included in positive polling. He lost favorability with his base for his spending.
his base liked everything else?

figures....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies