Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,588,256 times

Advertisements

It is true. I used to work for target and at the orientation, they spent like 20 minutes going over the evil unions and how even *talking* about unions can be grounds of termination. No wonder they're so against it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,212,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is true. I used to work for target and at the orientation, they spent like 20 minutes going over the evil unions and how even *talking* about unions can be grounds of termination. No wonder they're so against it!!
Did they really say that "even *talking* about unions can be grounds of termination"?

That's illegal.....

Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,553,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Two threads and I have yet to hear one thing a union has done lately. All I asked for was one thing.
Someone could've said they took money from me and that would've technically worked and also served as some excellent proof of my opinion on unions and their purpose.
They got Obama/Biden elected,
They tack on thousands of unnecessary dollars to the sticker price of automobiles,
AND they killed Jimmy Hoffa

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,331,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
They got Obama/Biden elected,
They tack on thousands of unnecessary dollars to the sticker price of automobiles,
AND they killed Jimmy Hoffa
Killing Jimmy Hoffa is the funniest criticism of unions I've ever heard.

How exactly do unions put thousands of unnecessary dollars on to the sticker price of cars? Do you say the same of other products made by non-unionized companies that offer health care and pensions? By the way, the UAW workers no longer get health care benefits from GM and Chrysler and new hire-ins at GM no longer have rights to a pension when they retire. So don't think the unions haven't given up a lot of benefits in the last decade, they have. Even entry level pay has dropped down to $14 and $15.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,163,867 times
LOL people still advocate for unions after seeing the chaos that ensued after the implosion of Detroit?

I swear, the dumbing down of this nation has accelerated at breakneck speeds.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,021,661 times
Big retail corporations that get millions of dollars in govt. subsidies, fight unionizing by their "associates" and "team members", refuse to pay people a living wage, consistently keep them from earning full time for benefit status....big business takes advantage of people and govt. handouts as much as possible, while small businesses can barely keep up due to their inability to suck off the corporate welfare teet that our system has for the big guys....
Yeah, who needs unions for protection of basic rights? Big business really is here to help us all with jobs and goods...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,212,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL people still advocate for unions after seeing the chaos that ensued after the implosion of Detroit?

I swear, the dumbing down of this nation has accelerated at breakneck speeds.
"The failures of the 'Big 3' had nothing to do with union workers, as the GOP has been saying. It had to do with the fact that these industries didn't adapt to the times, and continued making dinosaur gas-guzzlers that Americans couldn't stop buying. It also had to do with the fact that CEOs like Rick Wagoner were pulling in millions of dollars a year (in Wagoner's case, about $14 million) and losing billions (around $40 billion for Wagoner). CEOs were being paid for failing, and union workers are now taking the blame.

"Before you think that unions played a role in this mess, ask yourself these questions -- Did Bear Stearns have a union? Did AIG have a union? Did Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac have unions? Did Lehman Bros. have a union? No, they didn't, and yet they still failed and we still bailed them out."

-- Mike Papantonio: GOP Blames Unions for Detroit's Ills

MP also rightly points out the right's fundamental hate for unions is because of COLLECTIVE BARGAINING.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,527,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post

Of course the highly paid executives who signed off on those union contracts, the ones who make millions because they're supposedly capable of planning a profitable, long term future for their company, had nothing to do with this, right? After all, they're the smart ones, they run companies into the ground and walk away with sacks full of $$$ for their efforts.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,331,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"The failures of the 'Big 3' had nothing to do with union workers, as the GOP has been saying. It had to do with the fact that these industries didn't adapt to the times, and continued making dinosaur gas-guzzlers that Americans couldn't stop buying. It also had to do with the fact that CEOs like Rick Wagoner were pulling in millions of dollars a year (in Wagoner's case, about $14 million) and losing billions (around $40 billion for Wagoner). CEOs were being paid for failing, and union workers are now taking the blame.

"Before you think that unions played a role in this mess, ask yourself these questions -- Did Bear Stearns have a union? Did AIG have a union? Did Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac have unions? Did Lehman Bros. have a union? No, they didn't, and yet they still failed and we still bailed them out."

-- Mike Papantonio: GOP Blames Unions for Detroit's Ills

MP also rightly points out the right's fundamental hate for unions is because of COLLECTIVE BARGAINING.
Great points in your post. I wish I could rep you for it. Boy, that Fox guy in the video was a bully....talking over the other guy every time he was trying to make a point the Fox guy didn't want his viewers to hear.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
The workers of the world need a world wide union. Where is the International Workers of the World when we need them? How can we get them restarted? We need to end wage slavery forever. We need a world safe for workers. We need a UNION!

I am not being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies