Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Less Likely To Be Forum Friends With Or Give Reputation Points To A Gay Poster?
YES! 9 6.77%
NO! 66 49.62%
SOMETIMES! 0 0%
NO OPINION! 3 2.26%
DOESN'T MATTER! 55 41.35%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have no idea of the sexual orientation of the people who contact me or the people who post.

Also, I have no idea of the purpose of "friends" requests on C-D. Does it mean you can do something special with them? I don't display the icons. I have no idea what it means.
Didn't you know...for every TEN friends you acquire you can "ca$h" them in for a gift of your choice. After 100 friends you get to choose gifts from the "good" catalogue... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have to back Tkramar on this one, and we don't agree on things here from time to time.
And why does this matter to me?

Quote:
If there is anyone on this forum that can reasonably say he doesn't give a crap....I believe him.
I don't. Never will.

Quote:
Some folks JUST DON'T CARE. Hell, i'm the same way. I used to go to a gym that was 90% gay...stripped naked, showered there...said hi to people....and then went home and nailed my future wife like a sailor on shore leave.
Did NOT need to read this, and plus, it's irrelevant. No one's calling your sexuality into question, so learning about your enthusiasm in pounding the misses is completely unnecessary.

Quote:
I'm sure those guys went home and did the same thing to their partners....who cares?
Again, your sex doesn't matter.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Personally, I never give it much thought. I give rep points when rep points are due.

I have a few on my "friends list" who are openly gay. They are also conservative thinkers and my affinity with the ideology far outweighs anything they do in their private lives. I give them rep points without hesitation. And I've no doubt we could sit down at the table and drink a lot of beer and kid each other over it all...

I vehemently oppose homosexual marriage and, further, believe the sexual content is unnatural. I make no bones about that. At the same time, I don't think it is the worst thing in the world by any stretch and (perhaps rare for a Southern Baptist boy) sincerely believe one cannot help their sexual orientation, Or even want to change it.

The friends I have who are gay know how I think, and I know how they think. It lends for good conversation sometime...

Anyway, no. The fact someone is gay has no bearing whatsoever as to giving points. Not in the least.
With all due respect, how a gay person could be "friends" with someone who thinks like you is completely beyond me. Completely.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I do not want this thread to disentigrate into marriage rights; but PLEASE TACTFULLY tell me your objections to CIVIL UNIONS..
I have nothing against civil unions, per se. I see no reason that homosexual couples cannot have some legal protections when it comes to financial considerations.

As as aside here, tactful? What do you think...that I am going to rant and rave about homos and **** and faries? LOL I don't talk nor think that way. Geez...as I said earlier, I have some good friends who are openly gay. That fact (that they are gay) matters to me about as much as that they might fry chicken different than I do.

Of course, I don't agree -- and will never accept -- their lifestyle as morally acceptable nor the idea of homosexual marriage being the equivelent of man and woman. If that makes me a dinosaur...then too damn bad. At the same time, it doesn't make me morally superior (hell, I drink too much, sometime), just that my whole moral belief system (which comes from the Holy Bible) is predicated upon a different premise. To take it a step further, I love a good debate/argument with my liberal friends, and enjoy the same with a few who are gay. It makes for a good discussion. As someone smart once said: If you surround yourself with those who always agree with you, then you will never learn anything!

Quote:
SEE I don't care about the semantics I just want to be able for my partner and/or myself to not lose our house because the other has passed and the survivor cannot collect their mate's social security benefits, etc.. By denying me this you are debasing my humanity and causing social instability in our country.
You and your partner can excercise the rights of "civil union" any time you choose. I don't know what rights you are denied.

What do you mean, debasing your humanity? Isn't that going a little overboard? C'mon. No one is debasing your humanity. No one wants to, that I know of...

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-16-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
With all due respect, how a gay person could be "friends" with someone who thinks like you is completely beyond me. Completely.

With all due respect in turn, maybe it is because the "gay" friends I have are are mature and tolerant of those with different opinons...?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against civil unions, per se. I see no reason that homosexual couples cannot have some legal protections when it comes to financial considerations.
Some legal protections? Well thank you. Your heterosexual generosity is much appreciated, I can assure you.

Quote:
As as aside here, tactful? What do you think...that I am going to rant and rave about *****s and **** and faries? LOL Geez...as I said earlier, I have some good friends who are openly gay. That fact (that they are gay) matters to me about as much as that they might fry chicken different than I do.
Your willingness to address them by those terms above, your lack of concern for their civil rights and equality, as well your apparent disgust with their "unnatural" sexual behavior, diminishes any possibility of your actually being "friends" with them and respecting their humanity. I don't care if I'm the only one who says it.

Quote:
Of course, I don't agree -- and will never accept -- their lifestyle as morally acceptable nor the idea of homosexual marriage being the equivelent of man and woman. If that makes me a dinosaur...then too damn bad. At the same time, it doesn't make me morally superior (hell, I drink too much, sometime), just that my whole moral belief is predicated upon a different premise
I feel so incredibly sorry for the gays that socialize with you. Hopefully, they see the light and get the hell away from people that clearly don't have any respect or concern for who they are, and only wish to condemn based upon "morality" (ha!).

Quote:
You and your partner can excercise the rights of "civil union" any time you choose. I don't know what rights you are denied.
Then you aren't paying attention.

Quote:

What do you mean, debasing your humanity? Isn't that going a little overboard? C'mon. No one is debasing your humanity. No one wants to, that I know of...
I'm sure there's a mirror somewhere close to you. Look into it.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
With all due respect in turn, maybe it is because the "gay" friends I have are are mature and tolerant of those with different opinons...?
The only thing they're tolerant of is someone disregarding their very existence using antiquated rhetoric. I'd say these people just have low self-esteem. A self-respecting gay or lesbian would never put up with someone that thinks the way you do.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:01 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:

As as aside here, tactful? What do you think...that I am going to rant and rave about homos and **** and faries? LOL Geez...as I said earlier, I have some good friends who are openly gay. That fact (that they are gay) matters to me about as much as that they might fry chicken different than I do.

Of course, I don't agree -- and will never accept -- their lifestyle as morally acceptable nor the idea of homosexual marriage being the equivelent of man and woman. If that makes me a dinosaur...then too damn bad. At the same time, it doesn't make me morally superior (hell, I drink too much, sometime), just that my whole moral belief is predicated upon a different premise. To take it a step further, I love a good debate/argument with my liberal friends, and enjoy the same with a few who are gay. It makes for a good discussion. As someone smart once said: If you surround yourself with those who always agree with you, then you will never learn anything! PS I am denied 1,001 rights that you enjoy through FEDERAL level marriage recognition.....like medical decisions, insurance etc.

I thought I made it clear: I cannot collect survivor benefits of ANY KIND....YOU on the other hand CAN!

Hint I think my relationship is "superior" to yours because it is so much more difficult for us...we have a good portion of society attacking us; while 95% of society has institutions/customs to help straight married couples stay together, thereby benefiting and stabilizing your relationships.(I am being facitious here, just trying to show you how some of "you" sound to us)

You answered your own dehumanize question by saying your relationship is more real because it is between a man and woman....that implies my self and my mate are second class/inferior to you and your wife.

I'm enjoying our conversation. I did NOT mean to imply you would be rude in your reply(you weren't) but ya never know. I do not recall ever interacting with you on the boards before, so I am a bit paranoid at first(understandbly so, may I add because I do not "know" you yet) PEACE .

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
The only thing they're tolerant of is someone disregarding their very existence using antiquated rhetoric. I'd say these people just have low self-esteem. A self-respecting gay or lesbian would never put up with someone that thinks the way you do.
Ok, sport. Have it your way.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
A self-respecting gay or lesbian would never put up with someone that thinks the way you do.
I would. He sounds intelligent and rational to me. I can certainly have some respect for his opinions, even if we don't see eye to eye on everything.

I think it's important (in real life more than on this forum) to find things in common with people rather than focusing on division and conflicts. Maybe it comes with age.

It's more stressful to be gay than straight. I doubt many people would argue with that. But I've found that it's better to not allow my unusual sexual orientation to define me. Focusing on what makes us different makes it more difficult to connect with the (hetero) majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies