Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You are delusional if you think we are first in and last out. You just don't pay attention to the rest of the world.
Actually I have been in on a few of those efforts. Have you?
I'm sorry but sending a few reps to appraise the situation isn't the same as putting boots on the ground providing security and food to those in desperate need. What I don't pay a lot of attention to is the media. Do they ever get their facts straight without corrupting them first with their agenda? I talk about all media not just some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Interesting... where's the rest of world coming to the rescue that Obama apologized to.

Obama says US stands with Haiti, pledges $100M aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100114/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_haiti_earthquake - broken link)
Once again, a compassionate conservative comes forward to stand on the backs of 100,000 dead men, women and children to politicize and attack the President.

Have you no shame?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
They also burned all their own sugar cane during their revolution and the tragic history of Haiti didn't start in the 80's.
Oh yeah. They also pretty much deforrested the whole place for charcoal and other wood-fuel sources. OTOH, The DR was able to avoid that trap for the most part.

Edit: got cut off
There's a growing number of people from 3rd world / developing countries that are now saying foriegn aide and other non-emergency intervention hurts more than it helps by creating dependancy that can't be overcome. They are obviously not the majority, but interesting to read about, esp. in Africa.

Last edited by caution; 01-14-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually I have been in on a few of those efforts. Have you?
I'm sorry but sending a few reps to appraise the situation isn't the same as putting boots on the ground providing security and food to those in desperate need. What I don't pay a lot of attention to is the media. Do they ever get their facts straight without corrupting them first with their agenda? I talk about all media not just some.
China was unloading this morning right next to the US.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
China was unloading this morning right next to the US.
I would hope so.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:17 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Interesting... where's the rest of world coming to the rescue that Obama apologized to.

Obama says US stands with Haiti, pledges $100M aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100114/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_haiti_earthquake - broken link)

okay
I do not get this post????

I am no Obama fan but he is right to do this and bring in Bush as well
maybe his community organizing will really pay off as what a huge effort this is to work with an international group. This is about folks dead and dying, this is NOT a time for political yammerings
shame on anyone left or right to try and point fingers at this
I for one, am in the first time 100% behind the president on this.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
We have given over 1 billion dollars in aid to Haiti over the years; the UN 300m during the same amount of time. Port-au-Prince used to be a cruise ship stop until the govt went down. Since then, we've poured so much money, aid, relief, charity work into Haiti and it remains the same, poor, corrupt nation, and I venture to say nothing will change.

Pat Robertson is a hack and he doesn't speak for the GOP. BUt I will say that I am sick and tired of the left villifying religion and Christianity in particular. The Christian groups doing relief and charity work in Haiti for years outnumber the festivus and atheist yahoo groups doing anything but worrying themselves over nativity scene displays instead of doing some good for those less fortunate.

is this all you can think about at a time like this??
good grief!!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why must the USA be the first in last out for every natural disaster around the world? Yes we should give aid, but I get tired of the expectation that we need to be the biggest fastest responder.

good grief
of course we should, that is what we are about
good grief, what kind of cold hearted people is this bitching about giving aid???

Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
of course we should, that is what we are about
good grief, what kind of cold hearted people is this bitching about giving aid???
Bitching?? Not bitching. Just wondering why it is an expectation that we always be the first? Why is it a cardinal sin if we are second?
Why should we be the first? Right now we are hurting and not a lot of hope in sight. I am not against the aid never said I was.
What I am against is the assumption or expectation that we be the first or the biggest donors. We have a great many things broken in this country that quite honestly need this same furious attention and focus.
We have an illegal immigration problem. As many as 10% of all folks living here have no right to be here and are taxing our social services.
We have homeless people that need help every bit as much as those folks in Haiti.
We have businesses that are struggling. These businesses provide work for Americans and yet our gov is awarding contracts to foreign companies.
We are so focused on living up to the hype that we are blind to the reality that we are just about flat busted broke.
My issue is why is it that we can muster up all this energy for others but not for our own.
In fact Georgia Dem one might wonder about how you can be so cold hearted about the starving people in the USA that you feel Haiti is a greater priority?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Some posters have no shame and will use any dire situation as a means to an end. I am frankly bored by the incessant attack on our President, if he didn't send aide they would just as likely attack that decision as well. These are the same folks who claimed that anyone who spoke out against the Bush admin. was un-American, funny how that no longer applies. I think it's about time for me to take a break, how many redundant, hackneyed, and trite posts can one read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies