Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Because other countries efforts may not be equal we are the only country that is doing anything?

Please point out where I said the efforts of other countries was equal, go on point it out to me.

Americans sure are good at trumpeting how we are the richest and best country in the world, yet when something like this happens some of you act as if every country in the world has the same resources we do.
Not you. But others would try to make it sound like other countries are equal partners in effort and expense.
Now point out where I said every country has an equal ability or equal resources. As it happens China does have the ability to give on par with the USA as does the European Union.
I asked a valid question earlier. Why is there this expectation that the USA always be the first in and last out? Why do we always need to be the biggest player?
I am proud that at one time I was a player on the ground in a few of these natural disasters and I did my level best to help. I also don't forget that too often it was for a less than grateful people.
100 million in aid plus expences adds up fast. We ourselves are hurting. We have a homeless population trying to survive through a harsh winter. Why not the cry for this frantic rescue for our own needy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
bek you get extra points if you are the apologetic white guy but you are black.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not you. But others would try to make it sound like other countries are equal partners in effort and expense.
Now point out where I said every country has an equal ability or equal resources. As it happens China does have the ability to give on par with the USA as does the European Union.
I asked a valid question earlier. Why is there this expectation that the USA always be the first in and last out? Why do we always need to be the biggest player?
I am proud that at one time I was a player on the ground in a few of these natural disasters and I did my level best to help. I also don't forget that too often it was for a less than grateful people.
100 million in aid plus expences adds up fast. We ourselves are hurting. We have a homeless population trying to survive through a harsh winter. Why not the cry for this frantic rescue for our own needy?
The OP did not say anything about the amount of involvement, they asked where the other countries where. I pointed out that many other countries are involved in the aid effort.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Pat Robertson is a hack and he doesn't speak for the GOP. BUt I will say that I am sick and tired of the left villifying religion and Christianity in particular. The Christian groups doing relief and charity work in Haiti for years outnumber the festivus and atheist yahoo groups doing anything but worrying themselves over nativity scene displays instead of doing some good for those less fortunate.
Attacking Pat Robertson is not attacking religion. It's attacking Pat Robertson. Seems like good Christians would distance themselves from people like him.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Attacking Pat Robertson is not attacking religion. It's attacking Pat Robertson. Seems like good Christians would distance themselves from people like him.
I said Pat Robertson was a hack. I didn't say attacking him was attacking religion. The attack on Christians by the left has nothing to do with Pat Robertson. Read the post.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Bitching?? Not bitching. Just wondering why it is an expectation that we always be the first? Why is it a cardinal sin if we are second?
Why should we be the first? Right now we are hurting and not a lot of hope in sight. I am not against the aid never said I was.
What I am against is the assumption or expectation that we be the first or the biggest donors. We have a great many things broken in this country that quite honestly need this same furious attention and focus.
We have an illegal immigration problem. As many as 10% of all folks living here have no right to be here and are taxing our social services.
We have homeless people that need help every bit as much as those folks in Haiti.
We have businesses that are struggling. These businesses provide work for Americans and yet our gov is awarding contracts to foreign companies.
We are so focused on living up to the hype that we are blind to the reality that we are just about flat busted broke.
My issue is why is it that we can muster up all this energy for others but not for our own.
In fact Georgia Dem one might wonder about how you can be so cold hearted about the starving people in the USA that you feel Haiti is a greater priority?

good grief
people here have now and always will be moved to come to the aid of others
in the wake of something so huge and overwhelming and heart wrenching
of course people want to do something
if you want to be resentful, then hang on to it
personally I try to help with what is in front of me to the best of my ability
if you think these people are "not our own" then I really feel sorry for you
being "our own" does not stop at a border or an ocean or a desert
if you can watch a man carry his dead child through the streets of complete and total devastation and then say what you say
wow, I really feel sorry for you

Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,344 times
Quote:
BUt I will say that I am sick and tired of the left villifying religion and Christianity in particular. The Christian groups doing relief and charity work in Haiti for years outnumber the festivus and atheist yahoo groups doing anything but worrying themselves over nativity scene displays instead of doing some good for those less fortunate.
Boy, this thread is just chock-full of wingnut talking points. You all repeat them as if there was some basis in reality for them. Please provide some evidence for your silly comment. How does the left "villify" religion, when the vast majority of the left is religious?

And in the same breath, you launch an attack on atheists.

Hypocricy, much?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
of course we should, that is what we are about
good grief, what kind of cold hearted people is this bitching about giving aid???
More like whining than bitching.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I said Pat Robertson was a hack. I didn't say attacking him was attacking religion. The attack on Christians by the left has nothing to do with Pat Robertson. Read the post.
And what does that have to do with the topic at hand? Just a gratuitous false attack on the left because you can?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Are you one of the soldiers being sent in? Have you ever been? I have.
If you have never done the job I suggest you put on a uniform and give it a whirl.
You go into these areas and you are at great risk. Disease is the greatest.
Then you have those who feel that your efforts are not enough maybe a mob forms. But you are given impossible rules of engagement. Its no tea party and its rare that we hear the word thank you. What we will hear are complaints that we should do more still.
I ask again why must it always be the USA that is first in and last out?
Soldiers take pride in helping those who can't help themselves. But is running to every natural disaster around the globe the job of our Military?
So are we now the worlds Ambulance?
Yep. The world supposedly hates us but all be damned if they don't want us around when the you-know-what hits the fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies