Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

It's not that the U.N. is hated, what many people disagree with, is letting some foreign body dictate to us how we conduct business in our own country. They should not have the right to tax us on how we produce energy, nor tell us who can and cannot own guns. That's a matter for the U.S. Constitution, and U.S. Law.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I have noticed in a few other posts that Conservatives really don't seem to like the U.N., not to mention having the Anti-Christ in the "Left Behind" book series (extremely popular among Evangelical Christians) be the UN Secretary General.

Why is that? I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine, but I think that's understandable considering how many different cultures and languages are involved (otherwise why not advocate cleaning up the US immigration bureaucracy... a much worse mess).

The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace. Surely you cannot be against them for that!

I really would like to know what it is that gets you upset... Please post and let me know.
Have you ever done any UN duty? Do some UN duty and you might understand just how bad it is.
The UN is a machine that has one purpose and that is to justify its own existance. It serves very little purpose and it is an expense this nation could do well without.
Yes we need something and it isn't the current UN.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I don't hate it;I just think we need to stop paying for it ;its purely a debating boby ;nothing else.We apy too much of the bill.Liberals seem to confuse disapproval with hate.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 733 times
There certainly are concerns with what is wrong with the U.N. However, the seeds to peace and understanding between human beings on this earth, is dialog. The U.N. does provide one path to the opportunity for dialog, and therefore a possible path to peace and to solving other problems that concern all people. It also is an organization where countries have contact with one another to work on problems that we can solve, only with cooperation, such as wiping out Polio and Small Pox, world hunger, human trafficking, viruses, devistating bombs etc.

We need to realize that our existance on this earth is fragile in relation to what the possibilities hold for one group to pose damage onto another, or how a very few people, or even one, can change the human condition for the better or for the worse for all mankind.

As an outspoken nation, we cannot afford to be so self centered to think, if we just block ourselves off from the rest of the world, and "take care of our own" that everything will be alright (for us). We are all on this earth together, and each of us are effected, positively or negatively, by the behaviors of others we share this globe with.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
I have noticed in a few other posts that Conservatives really don't seem to like the U.N., not to mention having the Anti-Christ in the "Left Behind" book series (extremely popular among Evangelical Christians) be the UN Secretary General.

Why is that? I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine, but I think that's understandable considering how many different cultures and languages are involved (otherwise why not advocate cleaning up the US immigration bureaucracy... a much worse mess).

The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace. Surely you cannot be against them for that!

I really would like to know what it is that gets you upset... Please post and let me know.
They have gone beyond their original charter. They consider themselves a one world government that everyone needs to pay taxes to them.

Money disappears into that black hole of the UN and every third world idiot is scrambling to see how much of it he can steal for themselves.

A bunch of cackling hens with no redeeming qualities.

Take the UN building, raze it to the ground and turn that prime waterfront real estate into high end condos.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:

haters gonna hate.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
The book series is irrelevant. And no, we don't like the UN.

Quote:
Why is that?
Because the UN is a bunch of self serving, unaccountable, money-wasting, freedom hating, powermongering crooked thugs.

Quote:
I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine,
Oh, it's smooth as silk... IN terms of being crooked, criminal, and self serving.

Quote:
but I think that's understandable considering how many different cultures and languages are involved (otherwise why not advocate cleaning up the US immigration bureaucracy... a much worse mess).
No, they all subscribe to a culture of corruption and graft.

Quote:
The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace.
An unaccountable, self appointed government claiming to be for human rights and peace. It's like assembling a large body of male rapists telling them their job is one-on-one counselling and protection for women.

Quote:
Surely you cannot be against them for that!
I'm against them for what they ARE, not for some high minded drivel that they aren't.

Quote:
I think I've cleared it up.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
I don't hate the UN but I see them as a farce in some ways, but not all bad. For a couple of examples among many, I can't put much faith in a body that put China and Syria on it's Human Rights Council. I also find the peacekeeping force to be a joke. They stand by as atrocities are committed and have pulled out of places because shots were being fired - why did they think they were going? I think they do have some role in negotiations among countries by quite often there isn't much support in addressing problems which leaves them ineffective.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:

" I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine" Bit of an understatement.

Please tell us what they actually HAVE done any good.

Have you looked at the members of the their Human Rights group?

"The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace" And what is their record on that issue.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's not that the U.N. is hated, what many people disagree with, is letting some foreign body dictate to us how we conduct business in our own country. They should not have the right to tax us on how we produce energy, nor tell us who can and cannot own guns. That's a matter for the U.S. Constitution, and U.S. Law.

This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies