Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is a typical response on this board from the "Southern pride" lot: attack and insult the poster for stating his/her opinion. Feezy 914, you may not like it but millions of people see the Confederate flag as standing for a tradition of racism, hate and discrimination. Why put quotes around "think"? You see it one way, others see it another way. Accept that and move on.
I think Feezy is just pointing out that there are millions of people who don't see the Confederate flag as standing for a tradition of racism, hate and discrimination. The meaning of a symbol isn't defined by a democratic vote. The meaning of a symbol is defined by the person utilizing that symbol. The audience can then accept that meaning or reject that meaning, applying it's own definition. And that is the nature of discourse over symbols. Because symbols are about discourse, they are about communication, they are shorthand for ideas. The people who see the Confederate flag as a symbol of heritage shouldn't give up their ideas because other people see that flag as a symbol of racism. What's important isn't the piece of cloth, but the conversation.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Feezy was attacking the poster for stating his/her opinion with which Feezy didnt agree.

I agree that everyone needs to try to see the other side; not sure which side is having a harder time with that.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Gideon said, so your answer to America's social ills is to fly a confederate flag, waved by neo natzi groups
You mean those VERY SAME NAZI GROUPS WHO ALSO WAVE THE UNITED STATES FLAG?

Then, to follow your logic, we should also ban the United States Flag because it is waved by some "Nazi" groups .... After all, that is your reasoning for banning the Confederate Flag ....

Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Quote:
What about those American soldiers from the Confederacy that died defending their way of life?
If a man died fighting against the United States of America, he was an enemy of the United States of America, it is impossible to see that in any other context. If he renounced his nation and fought against her, he was a traitor, and deserved the usual punishment for traitors.

If you display the flag of the traitors, what do you expect rational people to think of you?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Wrong, it is the job of government to rule the people and control them.

May I inquire as to what school you learned the above statement??

Or, is it that you did not attend school - any school - whatsoever? Is this it?

For, I do not believe you learned the above statement in any school in the United States -

Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
If a man died fighting against the United States of America, he was an enemy of the United States of America, it is impossible to see that in any other context. If he renounced his nation and fought against her, he was a traitor, and deserved the usual punishment for traitors.

If you display the flag of the traitors, what do you expect rational people to think of you?
Have you ever been to Arlington Memorial Cemetary outside of Washington, D.C.?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

The funny thing is, the only reason the North was fighting was to keep them as citizens of the United States. Why couldn't the North just let these "traitors" go their own way?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 PM

3,578 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The funny thing is, the only reason the North was fighting was to keep them as citizens of the United States. Why couldn't the North just let these "traitors" go their own way?
"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war.[...] I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect and early success. But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for anything. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter."
--- William Tecumseh Sherman's response to the people of Atlanta who would not evacuate the city prior to its destruction

Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war.[...] I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect and early success. But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for anything. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter."
--- William Tecumseh Sherman's response to the people of Atlanta who would not evacuate the city prior to its destruction
The question was rhetorical. I've long ago established a position where I think Lincoln's reasoning on the issue was correct.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 PM

3,578 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The question was rhetorical. I've long ago established a position where I think Lincoln's reasoning on the issue was correct.
I like the "curses and maledictions" part of the quote.

Unfortunately to many your question is not rhetorical.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies