Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times

Advertisements

Should this be on the religion board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What does this thread have to do with Christianity anyhow? There is no comparison between it and Islam. You cannot even compare them on any basis, as our laws are not governed by the bible. Not to mention, I have never heard of any true Christian calling for the death of a homosexual. Ridiculous that people who oppose Christianity have to resort to comparing it to Islamic Sharia law.
There are some Christians (very few) here in the US who want and advocate for the implementation of Mosaic Law - the Christian equivalent of Sharia Law. Under Mosaic Law homosexuality, incest, adultery, lying about your virginity, etc....are all capital crimes.

The intelectual leader of that movement here in the US was Rousas John Rushdoony. Mosaic law is one of the tenents of the movement he started - Christian Reconstructionism. This type of Christianity has a following. One prominent Christian Reconstructionism is Howard Ahmanson Jr. - the Home Savings Bank heir and main funding source of the Discovery Institute (you know, the lovely organization that brought us the "science" of Intelligent Design).

Last edited by denverkid; 01-29-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Wait, wait I thought it was only Christians that wanted gays dead.......

*said in my most sarcastic voice.*

Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Lol, "It would be a good idea not to be homosexual?"

Not exactly helpful to those that were born in those countries. It's like saying that because of Saudi Arabia's strict Wahabbism, "It would be a good idea not to be a woman" in Saudi Arabia.

You are what you are, regardless of where fate chooses as your place of birth.
Conflicting philosophies.

I am of the mind set that we are 100 percent responsible for everything in our life through the choices that we make. Nothing "happens" to us that we do not allow to happen to us. (yes yes that includes car accidents, illness, etc., etc.)

I also happen to believe that having homosexual leanings may be innate. However you still choose how you EXPRESS your sexuality. Many people are attracted to sheep, but that does not mean it should be ok to have sex with them. It just means you have sex with them in the barn and shut up about it. I am sure that there are homosexual men in Islamic countries. They simply are much more discreet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Conflicting philosophies.

I am of the mind set that we are 100 percent responsible for everything in our life through the choices that we make. Nothing "happens" to us that we do not allow to happen to us. (yes yes that includes car accidents, illness, etc., etc.)

I also happen to believe that having homosexual leanings may be innate. However you still choose how you EXPRESS your sexuality. Many people are attracted to sheep, but that does not mean it should be ok to have sex with them. It just means you have sex with them in the barn and shut up about it. I am sure that there are homosexual men in Islamic countries. They simply are much more discreet.

20yrsinBranson
I can just see your advise to slaves 160 years ago:

"Even though you were born into this, you're actually 100% responsible for your predicament. Now why don't you go buy a boat trip back to Africa or perhaps Europe where you can go live freely. If for some reason you can't do that, just don't be so uppity to your master so that he won't treat you so roughly. Just be a little more discreet with your displeasure."

Quite honestly, I don't view the situation of women in Saudi Arabia (one of the circumstances you're replying to) as that much different that the situation of Blacks in the southern US 200 years ago.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
I can just see your advise to slaves 160 years ago:

"Even though you were born into this, you're actually 100% responsible for your predicament. Now why don't you go buy a boat trip back to Africa or perhaps Europe where you can go live freely. If for some reason you can't do that, just don't be so uppity to your master so that he won't treat you so roughly. Just be a little more discreet with your displeasure."

Quite honestly, I don't view the situation of women in Saudi Arabia (one of the circumstances you're replying to) as that much different that the situation of Blacks in the southern US 200 years ago.
You have been watching too much television. Just because women cannot wear string bikinis and halter tops and look like common tramps in their every day exchange does not mean that they are mistreated in any way. They ALL know the rules of engagement and play the game exceedingly well, thank you. If a Muslim woman feels mistreated then she needs to remember who she is, and not fix her aspirations upon being Julia Roberts or Angelina Jolie.

There are more women in Muslim countries that are teachers and doctors than men. They are strongly represented in every university. They are allowed to own their own businesses. They own their own real estate and property. With the exception of a few cultural differences with regard to clothing and behavior, they are free to do anything they wish and are VERY RESPECTED by Muslim men.

You need to understand that CNN and FOX news have an AGENDA to facilitate the misunderstanding, fear and hatred of Islam in this country. You cannot believe what you see on television. Have you ever sat down and considered who OWNS the media in this country? Hint: It ain't Muslims.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And equally interesting to note that those who are making the comparison are liberals.
Not really. Maybe if one sees the world in terms of conservatives versus liberals, it's interesting, but otherwise, I never would have thought about it.

I think the ultimate question is: Is having homosexual sex a human right? Is having sex of any kind a human right?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
nice lob ... the OP points to an extremist Muslim view and we, correctly, btw, point out that there are just as wacky Christians out there. Thinking that Westboro Baptist tool.

lobbin' it back.
Nobody is saying that there are not people out there who will use the guise of religion (Christianity in your case) as a way to demonize homosexuals. There are whacknuts in every segment of every society. Simply pointing them out to denigrate an entire religion (again, Christianity) is a very weak argument.

What you are failing to see in this thread, is that one cannot compare Islamic Law, which often times is or dictates political law in many muslim countries, to a small sect of Christian wingnuts with no control over our government or laws.

So that leaves me to ask what the point of your post really is? To point out the obvious fact that there are idiots in the world? Yep, we can all agree on that. Or was the point of your post to denigrate the religion of Christianity? It's my view that your post was meant as a direct slam against Christians, and I'm saying this as a not very religious person.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You have been watching too much television. Just because women cannot wear string bikinis and halter tops and look like common tramps in their every day exchange does not mean that they are mistreated in any way. They ALL know the rules of engagement and play the game exceedingly well, thank you. If a Muslim woman feels mistreated then she needs to remember who she is, and not fix her aspirations upon being Julia Roberts or Angelina Jolie.

There are more women in Muslim countries that are teachers and doctors than men. They are strongly represented in every university. They are allowed to own their own businesses. They own their own real estate and property. With the exception of a few cultural differences with regard to clothing and behavior, they are free to do anything they wish and are VERY RESPECTED by Muslim men.

You need to understand that CNN and FOX news have an AGENDA to facilitate the misunderstanding, fear and hatred of Islam in this country. You cannot believe what you see on television. Have you ever sat down and considered who OWNS the media in this country? Hint: It ain't Muslims.

20yrsinBranson
What about that recent afgan law that made it illegal for women to refuse sex from their husband? It's legal to rape your wife - that's fantastic.

In Saudi Arabia it's illegal for women to study law or engineering, they can't vote, they can't travel without the permission of a "male guardian" (I find the idea that they need a "male guardian" abhorrent), it's illegal for them to drive. How can they make the decision to change their lives if they can't even leave the house without permission from their "guardian"?

Yes, they are afforded some rights. If they're lucky enough to obtain the proper permission.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
No telling what they (Muslims and other Christians) would do with people with other birth disorders.

The left takes care of that with abortion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies