Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times

Advertisements

islam law? who cares about islamic law... it doesn't apply to us..
I'm gay and I wouldn't roll up to any middle eastern sand pit EVER.. I'm well aware of their backwardsness... and well they've gotten what they put out...you put out hate, crash airplanes into buildings and harbor terrorists among you... you get back a sh*thole of a place to call home...(islamic nations)
funny how the universe works...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In this article you will find that most sodomy laws in the states were blocked or stopped starting in 1961-1980.

In Texas it was a misdemeanor and fine of $500. A few other states had lengthy prison sentences for sodomy. Of course that is no longer the case with the most conservative states starting in 2003. Does anyone know how common it was for gays to be prosecuted in the more conservative states?

Sodomy laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So our overwhelmingly christian country has repealed laws associated with punishing homosexuals. To note the dates is of rather little importance. These laws were not enforced for many many years, just like many very outdated laws that still sit on the books today. Regardless, this just goes to show that a Christian country does NOT demonize homosexuality. How does that compare to muslim countries?

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 01-29-2010 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: ETA: Isn't fellacio against the law in many states? I think I recall hearing that.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
islam law? who cares about islamic law... it doesn't apply to us..
Yes, that's what the French, the Norwegians, the Germans and the Brits all thought too . . . and then one day they woke up to hordes and hordes of black-bagged women and angry terrorists living among them and hijacking their civil rights laws to further their own Islamic agenda.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Yes, that's what the French, the Norwegians, the Germans and the Brits all thought too . . . and then one day they woke up to hordes and hordes of black-bagged women and angry terrorists living among them and hijacking their civil rights laws to further their own Islamic agenda.
It is concerning indeed. To ignore it is to allow it to fester and gain momentum. We have much to learn from our European counterparts in this regard.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Speaking in generalities - the ignorance level in this thread is astounding.

I cannot believe that these are the same thoughtful, intelligent, compassionate people whose posts I read elsewhere on this board. I am in total shock.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
Quote:
calm down betty.. that isn't happening here... what is happening here though is another major religion doing much of the same... religion doesnt belong in government affairs and laws of the land.. that's between individuals and their makers... I lived next door to what seemed like the entire muslim community when I lived in seattle.. I lived down the street from the islamic center.. everyone I encountered was friendly and nice.. the whole sheet covering everyone up thing was weird.. but not my business.. they didn't treat me any different.. I didn't treat them any different.. I don't think they have it out for hijacking our laws.. but if that is what you fear.. perhaps the real issue at large needs to be addressed.. religion period.. We indeed are a nation that adheres to common law principles... so if anything of religious origin starts being incorporated into our laws on the basis of religious views.. it opens the door for Muslims to do the same.. hence.. separation of church and state.
if the muslims scare you.. protect yourself by telling your christian neighbors to shut up and keep their nonsense at church too.. then we will have nothing to fear

Old 01-29-2010, 02:11 PM

971 posts, read 1,295,030 times
Quote:
"Kid," if you want to participate, may I suggest you stay in THIS CENTURY?
Try following the conversation. I brought up past criminal law on homosexuality because people made claims that weren't true. Someone said "America has had a majority Christian population for 200 plus years and we have not codified homosexuality as a capital offense yet". I was correcting misinformation.

I enjoy the debate on this forum because I often learn things, and I would hope that the other people involved in this conversation would enjoy learning something too.

Also, denverkid refers to my being a child (native) of Denver and is meant to be a reflection of my love for my home town. It has nothing to do with my age. Stop attacking me (this isn't the first time you've done it) by either calling me a kid or referring to my intellect as that of a kid. It's pretty disgusting.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Try following the conversation. I brought up past criminal law on homosexuality because people made claims that weren't true. Someone said "America has had a majority Christian population for 200 plus years and we have not codified homosexuality as a capital offense yet". I was correcting misinformation.

I enjoy the debate on this forum because I often learn things, and I would hope that the other people involved in this conversation would enjoy learning something too.

Also, denverkid refers to my being a child (native) of Denver and is meant to be a reflection of my love for my home town. It has nothing to do with my age. Stop attacking me (this isn't the first time you've done it) by either calling me a kid or referring to my intellect as that of a kid. It's pretty disgusting.
Capital offense? I'm sorry, but a $500 fine is a far cry from a capital offense. And no, I don't agree with the fine either so don't even go there, but comparing a fine to a death sentence is rudimentary at best.

Quote:
capital offense n. any criminal charge which is punishable by the death penalty, called "capital" since the defendant could lose his/her head (Latin for caput). Crimes punishable by death vary from state to state and country to country. In some American states these offenses may include first degree murder (premeditated), murder with special circumstances (such as intentional, multiple, involved with another crime, with guns, of a police officer, or a repeat offense), and rape with additional bodily harm, and the federal crime of treason. A charge of a capital offense usually means no bail will be allowed.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM

971 posts, read 1,295,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Capital offense? I'm sorry, but a $500 fine is a far cry for a capital offense. And no, I don't agree with the fine either so don't even go there, but comparing a fine to a death sentence is rudimentary at best.
You as well - please follow the conversation. A poster (Ferd) said that the US, as a majority Christian nation, has NEVER in its 200+ year history made homosexuality a capital offense. I was simply pointing out that this is not true. Homosexuality was a capital offense in nearly every state from colonial times into the mid-1800's. I also pointed out that as late as 2003 homosexual sex was punishable by life imprisonment in Idaho because I found that interesting.

I never said a fine was the same as the death penalty or anything anything even remotely close to that.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
ok, here's my question ... so this guy says that under Islamic law, homosexuality is punishable by death .... is this an acadmic saying this, or a representative of a legal court who would actually dispense such a verdict.

Oh, and don't think for a minute that the US evangelicals aren't over in Uganda rah rah-ing their government's proposal to actually make homosexuality punishable by death. Kind of a living vicariously thing ...

Author: ‘The Family’ behind proposed Ugandan law that would execute HIV+ men | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/2009/11/author-the-family-proposed-ugandan-law-execute-hiv-men/ - broken link)

it even has Christians backpeddaling!
Christians oppose Uganda anti-gay bill that includes death penalty - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies