Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times

Advertisements

I honestly have not heard anyone on the right taking a stand against Volker.

I think this thread is a misdirection.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
That's because the Republican Party is not about finding solutions and problem solving...

They are about protecting the interests of corrupt big corporations,...

They care nothing about working together.

They are about keeping things the way they are - by any means necessary.

They've earned the title obstructionist.
For the Republican Party, obstruction is a fact of life and their mode of operation.. it's not an empty label.
I am not a Republican, but must say that both the Republicans and the Democrats in power "are not about finding solutions and problem solving."

However, we have had a Democrat president and a Democrat-controlled Congress for a year, and they have not passed not one meaningful bill. Yes, they have managed to fill their coffers, and their friend's.

They bailed-out AIG, Golden Sacks, and their big bonuses continue. Pelosi and other members of Congress complain about the GM executives flying corporate jets, but she turns around and spends $millions on military G5 flying hours for herself, her family, and friends. Not even that, but some of these friends demand reimbursements from the government for the food and liquors they consume inflight

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Elementary my dear. Anything Obama endorses the current right will oppose. The guy could say cancer is bad and there'd be pundits on the right and people in here saying he's wrong.
You can't use that as an excuse with the democrats in the clear majority and the repubs without the power to block much of anything. Obama and his party can't lead and can't get their shiate together.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I honestly have not heard anyone on the right taking a stand against Volker.

I think this thread is a misdirection.
Agree.

The questions still remain... Why didn't Obama nominate Volcker? Why are we stuck with Bernanke?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Could someone post Volkers rules? I am having a hard time finding exactly what it is.

I get Banks are banks and non-banks arent but what is the detail?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Default I'm going to make this really simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I am not a Republican, but must say that both the Republicans and the Democrats in power "are not about finding solutions and problem solving."

However, we have had a Democrat president and a Democrat-controlled Congress for a year, and they have not passed not one meaningful bill. Yes, they have managed to fill their coffers, and their friend's.

They bailed-out AIG, Golden Sacks, and their big bonuses continue. Pelosi and other members of Congress complain about the GM executives flying corporate jets, but she turns around and spends $millions on military G5 flying hours for herself, her family, and friends. Not even that, but some of these friends demand reimbursements from the government for the food and liquors they consume inflight

No one liked the bailouts. The President even addressed that in the SOTU. The bail outs were necessary to stop what could have been another Great Depression.
Let's not get into the events that brought us to the financial meltdown we've just experienced in this post. The economy sure must different in Alaska or you would be aware of why the bail outs were necessary.

George W Bush had already given $20 Billion to GM. Whether or not you agree with saving another 150,000 jobs in the present economy is nil.
Taking a controlling interest when there was that much taxpayer money involved seems like a good idea to me.

Getting into the food & alcohol consumed by some is really not a huge issue to me right now in the grand scope of things.

I've gotten really tired of the not passing one meaningful bill argument, as well.
It's still a two party system, last time I checked but we do have some independents up there in Washington who really help to get things done.

Talk about deflection.
The Republicans won't even discuss health care and you want to blame the Democrats for not doing their job.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I hope all of you (at least the ones that have not been totally enthralled by the Rushie and Foxie Show) realize that when presented with factual data, those who live in an alternate Beck inspired reality will either:

1. Selectively list and spin data to support the delusions their spreading.
2. Ignore, avoid and refuse to answer direct questions.
3. Try to drown out the relevant data by posting nonsense after nonsense, so the data will be pushed to the back burner and forgotten.
4. And/Or find a wedge issue to deflect and distract from the queries.
So far, I've seen a triple combo of #'s 2-4 so far.

So let me reiterate the purpose of this thread.

Quote:
Once again, I will spell out the point of this thread for you.

Paul Volcker is economic titan from the Regan era that is widely credited with reducing double digit inflation to under 4%.

The fact that he is on President Obama's team shows how non-ideologically dogmatic Obama is on working with people who offer SOLUTIONS.

At the Tea Party convention, Mrs. Palin mentioned Reagan as one of the right wing's greats.

Volcker has a set of proposals, known as the Volcker Rules that Obama has been pushing to implement.

One would think given Volcker's experience and record, more Republicans would be at least willing work on implementing at least some of the proposals. Has this Reagan era great even been interviewed on Limbaugh, Beck or any Fox News affiliate?

If this is not so, given the high prestige of Reagan among the current crop of right wingers, this is somewhat perplexing, IF they are indeed truly about SOLUTIONS AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
Given the man's credentials, has he been interviewed by right leaning media, and if not why is this so given his high credentials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Could someone post Volkers rules? I am having a hard time finding exactly what it is.

I get Banks are banks and non-banks arent but what is the detail?
Ferd, you could do a google search or look at the links (http://www.group30.org/pubs/reformreport.pdf - broken link)in the quote below. That thread has more info scattered throughout.

Quote:
Well, Volcker ideas and O's new found embrace of them may put us on the right track to financial reform (http://www.group30.org/pubs/reformreport.pdf - broken link).

The Johnson has quite a few choice words for Benny's reappointment.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
My guess is Obama like Berannke for this reaosn. Lookig at his proposed defcit tightening it isn't a drop in the bucket. Volker would ceertain want alot more and would tell teh democratic congress that thier rising the debt limit five times so far and last in both Dec and Jan. does show nay real control on spending.Intoher words he woulod point out teh rethoric of teh democrats and the adminstration.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
You can't use that as an excuse with the democrats in the clear majority and the repubs without the power to block much of anything. Obama and his party can't lead and can't get their shiate together.
I can just see it now. Obama: "puppies are awesome". Right: "puppies are the scum of the earth, always chewing up things and using your carpet as a toilet. Typical left wing degenerates."

Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
So far, I've seen a triple combo of #'s 2-4 so far.

So let me reiterate the purpose of this thread.

Given the man's credentials, has he been interviewed by right leaning media, and if not why is this so given his high credentials?

Ferd, you could do a google search or look at the links (http://www.group30.org/pubs/reformreport.pdf - broken link)in the quote below. That thread has more info scattered throughout.
i tried google and found lots of reading ABOUT it. not "IT"

your link seems to be the one i want.

thanks

I will say that Larry Kudlow has spoken quite well of Volker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies