Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times

Advertisements

The pre-1994 GOP (http://www.gop.com/index.php/learn/accomplishment/ - broken link) had quite an impressive record of publicly funded domestic infrastructure achievements, diplomacy, and governmental support of social equity policies.

Now it is being lead de facto by disc jockeys and other media pundits along with the various interest groups that sponsor them.

I think I have dug up from whence this change first began.

I found this article very enlightening on how far the GOP has strayed from its roots.

I hope everyone else does too.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
The pre-1994 GOP (http://www.gop.com/index.php/learn/accomplishment/ - broken link) had quite an impressive record of publicly funded domestic infrastructure achievements, diplomacy, and governmental support of social equity policies.

Now it is being lead de facto by disc jockeys and other media pundits along with the various interest groups that sponsor them.

I found this article very enlightening on how far the GOP has strayed from its roots.

I know you're enamored with the label 'Party of No'. Be aware, though, that adults often must say 'No' to children who have no thought for their own well-being and that of others. Right now the Republicans are the adults. The Dems are the children given to tantrums when they cannot get their way. I think the American public gets it.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I know you're enamored with the label 'Party of No'. Be aware, though, that adults often must say 'No' to children who have no thought for their own well-being and that of others. Right now the Republicans are the adults. The Dems are the children given to tantrums when they cannot get their way. I think the American public gets it.
Oh I agree, the public is definitely getting the message.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
And that message will continue to resonate.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And that message will continue to resonate.
Which one? The current Just Say No?

I'd rather see the desire to return to their (true and not Glen Beck revised) pre-1994 roots resonate and get our nation strong and united.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 AM

Great discussion on how true conservatism has died and been hijacked by the cult of Beck.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post

Well, I am not a Republican, and remember very well how they were called the "party of no" by the Democrats, specifically in relation to the Republican opposition to the healthcare bill Obama is trying to pass. But the whole thing is quite ironic, since the Democrats themselves could have passed the healthcare bill without the Republicans. After all, the Democrats have had the super-majority to do so any time they wanted. In that respect, if anybody should be called "the party of no," that's the Democrats. How can they call the Republicans "the party of no" while it's they (the Democrats) who do nothing in Congress? The Democrats should be called "the party of nothing."

Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, I am not a Republican, and remember very well how they were called the "party of no" by the Democrats, specifically in relation to the Republican opposition to the healthcare bill Obama is trying to pass. But the whole thing is quite ironic, since the Democrats themselves could have passed the healthcare bill without the Republicans. After all, the Democrats have had the super-majority to do so any time they wanted. In that respect, if anybody should be called "the party of no," that's the Democrats. How can they call the Republicans "the party of no" while it's they (the Democrats) who do nothing in Congress? The Democrats should be called "the party of nothing."
Keep in mind it wasn't until late September when the Democrats really had a super majority, and that lasted four months. Also while it was a super majority with those who caucused with Democrats, keep in mind two of them were Independents. One of them reliable, the other well not so much. It was campaigned for the Republican Presidential candidate the year before. They did however, pass a bil during the four months they had a super majority, and again with Lieberman it wasn't a true super majority.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Saying no to things are wrong is a good thing.

Saying no to something that will hurt more then help is a good thing.

Saying no to the government running a major part of our economy is a good thing.

Saying no when the majority of the party are wanting you to say no is a very good thing.

Now get to work on the most important issue, it's called jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies