Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That depends on the time frame you look at.

inflation (actual cost inflation vs- the phoney governmwnt numbers) is higher...much higher

you better go to the store and readjust your numbers

inflation has been near 15% for the last 3 years

look at the prices in the stores

have you benn to the store

prices are going up, and up

coffee is double what it was just 5 years ago in 2008

coffee up

sugar up

cotton up

corn up

all other vegitable up

all meats up

almost everything us up

REAL INFALTION IS CURRENTLY ABOUT 10-15% or more...unfortuantely the government(from either party) doesnt give us the REAL numbers

it certainly is for every working class person or old person

you think that your utility cost being up is not inlation???

you think your medical/pharm costs being up is not inflation???

you think your clothing costs being up is not inflation???

you think your housing (rent and rela taxes) being up is not inflation???

you think food costs going up is not inflation???

you think building supply costs (ie home depot) being UP is not inflation???

almost EVERYTHING we use has gone up by at least 10% to in some cases 30% in the last 3 years...and you are going to tell me inflation is "only 2% or less"

have you been to the store???...have you SEEN THE PRICES???? milk is nearly $4 a gallon...meats have gone though the roof...in 2004 a 3lb can of coffee was about $3...today its a 2.2lb can of coffee and its $10...over a 300% increase in less than 10 years

sorry you are too blind to see

you certainly do prove that the sheeple are out there for the slaughter

so are you going to tell me YOU BELIEVE the government TELLING YOU that inflation is at 0-3% when PRICES in nearly everything have risen 10-20% or more????

GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND...dude

the 'inflation rate' is not REAL INFLATION (ie COST inflation) that real americans (and seniors) feel with almost everything we buy

costs are going up on almost everything..especially food (which is NOT counted in the 'inflation rate')

Junk fish called Tauplia which was selling in 2008 for 1.28 a pound is now close to 5.00 a pound...Catfish that averaged between 3.49 and 3.99 at 6.00 plus.... Not just one store, they are all similar in price. Paper towels are highway robbery.....deli ham/turkey which I used to get for 2-4 a pound...now 6-9 a pound

last Thanksgiving,,Sweet potatoes they were 49 cent/pound...now $1.79/pound

breyers icecream HALF GALLON, was (2008) 2for 5...now its 1.5 quarts and its 4/each

Even cooking oil 48 fl oz... went from $2.99 (reg. p about 6 months ago) to $3.69 (sale)... from $4.29 (reg. price).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What do you think we need?
I have this theory based entirely off of nothing that if we increased the minimum wage to something that IS livable, that we may have less poverty. Less welfare cases. Etc.

I understand everyone's life is different. What one may think is a good wage, someone may think it's crap.

The min wage I believe in NJ is like $7.75. Let's say they slightly doubled it to $15. $15 an hour, IMO, is something that is livable. Especially in a dual income home. There would be no need for welfare, there would be enough for these people to pay their rent (or mortgage), pay their bills, and even have money left over to buy stuff. Buying stuff is a good thing. It stimulates the economy.

If more people have disposable money, then more people will be out there spending money. This way, the companies that DO pay the crappy min wage now..would eventually make up for now doubling the salaries of their workers.

I mean, it makes sense to me. But what about someone else?
Or is this a system to make people feel better about themselves compared to other people?

minimum wage is just that minimum!
if someone wants more money then do what it takes to earn more!!!
I do not have much of an education
I made lots of bad choices
but I DO not live off the government
I started a cleaning service over 25 years ago
I put an ad in the paper and worked my butt of now I also have a pet service I work long hard hours but it is my business
don't tell me folks can not make more money if they want to
making the minimum wage $15 or more is NOT going to solve their problem tell them to get their asses to work
no one is going to pay 15 bucks a hour to flip hamburgers!!!!
get over your selves
and grow up

Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you've only discussed one side of this equation. How's about the business owner ?
How does he manage double the hourly rate and still survive ?
Talk about the full idea for both employer and employee. One sided does not give a complete solution.

these jerks don't give a flip for the business owner!!
they want what they want

Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,933 times
Quote:
I have this theory based entirely off of nothing that if we increased the minimum wage to something that IS livable, that we may have less poverty. Less welfare cases. Etc.

I understand everyone's life is different. What one may think is a good wage, someone may think it's crap.

The min wage I believe in NJ is like $7.75. Let's say they slightly doubled it to $15. $15 an hour, IMO, is something that is livable. Especially in a dual income home. There would be no need for welfare, there would be enough for these people to pay their rent (or mortgage), pay their bills, and even have money left over to buy stuff. Buying stuff is a good thing. It stimulates the economy.

If more people have disposable money, then more people will be out there spending money. This way, the companies that DO pay the crappy min wage now..would eventually make up for now doubling the salaries of their workers.

Or is this a system to make people feel better about themselves compared to other people?
What jobs will those without resumes or skills to be worth $15 an hour have?

(hint, employers do not hire people to lose money, they hire people to make money... )

Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
If it was raised to 15 dollars an hour the various welfare programs would not go away and the government would just adjust the poverty levels to ensure the same or more welfare payments.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Those conditions still seem to be a little extreme, especially as an individual housing unit as compared to an apartment. Now having a combined kitchen/dining room/living area isn't too bad, and as long as there's enough space, having it serve as a bedroom isn't too bad either, but not even having a bathroom is extreme to me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a decent 700-800 sq ft home (unless you're in New York), but over 1500 sq ft for just one person could be frivilous unless you can afford it.

Now of course you are free to do as you will, but I just couldn't consider myself sane if I was going to buy a house and could settle with 400 sq ft. I believe I could hold my impulses until I'd saved enough for an extra 2 or so hundred sq ft.

There are tens of millions of Americans who would not be able to afford current prices for the home in which they live, but having bought their home earlier, they enjoy low or no mortgage payments today.

At the same time, rent slaves must pay more while getting less. These people would be fortunate if they could buy a 400 sq ft home, because they will never be able to save up enough to purchase a larger home.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
should just get rid of the minimum wage.

we should just get rid of restrictive zoning and other regulations which make housing unaffordable.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,018 times
Scrap them both and have welfare make up the difference, contingent on full time employment.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
Low wage workers already get subsidized by the government. Imagine the millions and millions of low paid service industry on the dole. Even if everyone went out and got a STEM degree you would still have millions working service industry jobs. Untill these jobs are completely automated (which would put even more on welfare) this is the way it is.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM

893 posts, read 1,206,917 times
Quote:

Well, you are wrong.

Increasing the minimum wage only leads to MORE poverty.

This is because as the price of wages increases, the price of goods ALSO increases. That means that people without jobs (who are making $0/hour no matter what the minimum wage is) are less able to afford those now-more-expensive goods.

It makes it so that if you don't have a job, it's even harder to support yourself, and therefore you need MORE welfare. How does a society pay for more welfare? More taxes. So now those people who got a pay bump in minimum wage have to pay higher taxes in order to support the people who didn't get a pay bump (because they don't have jobs).

So now workers are paying more taxes and are paying higher prices for the cost of goods. The raise in minimum wage literally did nothing for them, they are still just as poor as they were before when they paid cheaper prices and less taxes.

And then, on the other end of it, people who made MORE than minimum wage prior to an increase are ALSO worse off, just like people without jobs. This is because the people who are ALREADY making like $20/hour did not get ANY raise and yet they also got higher taxes and more expensive goods. Raising minimum wage has DECREASED everyone else's purchasing power.

So, in summary, raising minimum wage:
-Creates more poverty for those without jobs
-Causes people who were making more than minimum wage to lose purchasing power
-Does not help people making minimum wage much, if at all
-Causes MORE people fall into the minimum wage category (in your example, everyone who was making $12/hour, which is more than minimum wage, would suddenly only be making minimum wage now)

Also, why do you think someone should be able to live comfortably and support a family with an unskilled job in the first place? Why would anyone become a doctor or engineer if they can get the same pay at McDonalds?

It seems you didn't think your theory through...

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 09-03-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies