Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,934,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Your apparent indignation at the mere thought of lampooning the Holocaust makes my point precisely. While slavery, equally tragic, is something to laugh about and get a kick out of, the Holocaust isn't to be touched. Why make light of one tragedy over another?

And spare me with that "sad day in the black community" stuff. You're proof that many so-called liberals can be just as bigoted as their conservative counterparts.
You know, I've been anything but a troublemaker in this thread, but I gotta say point blank that slavery and the Holocaust are not "equally tragic". Slavery was shameful and it was a horrible time in history. There is no possible way to excuse it and people must continue to learn from it and learn about it, and I am in favor of anything that will educate people about it.

Having said that, it's not on the level of millions upon millions of people being led to gas chambers and being burnt up AFTER they were used as slave labor. Well, the ones who were strong enough were used as slaves. Others, many of them children, were forced into prostitution or just executed immediately if they served no other "purpose" to their captors. And Jews were not the only victims of the Holocaust. It was a far-reaching tragedy that destroyed people from many walks of life.

Whatever punishment is given to these people will be well-deserved. They should be made an example of, and this kind of behavior cannot be tolerated. As for the last part of your statement, don't assume that just because someone disagrees with you that it means they're against you. The person you're responding to came off as anything but a bigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,757,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
KRCG: University of Missouri police have arrested two white naval midshipmen for spreading cotton balls in front of the campus’ black culture center.

Senior Zachary Tucker, 21, and freshmen Sean Fitzgerald, 19, were arrested Tuesday about 7:30 p.m., after authorities received an anonymous tip.

Breitbart.tv » Two Students Arrested for Cotton Ball ‘Hate Crime’
The story at the link doesn't explain what makes this a "hate crime".

Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,934,778 times
Quote:
At the very least, the Jews know who they are dealing with. Blacks can be (and often are) targeted by just about anybody, at any time, because you see, targeting blacks is always "in".
Anti-Semitism is an almost acceptable form of prejudice in the world. People are often guilty of it without even know it.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Of course you would, because crumbled crackers carry no pernicious historical connotation that would derive offense. Funny how blacks are consistently told to "get over" slavery and discrimination, when clearly it is the racist whites on college campuses across this country who continue to perpetuate it.
So what "pernicious historical connotation" is to be derived from cotton balls? I don't understand that one.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,249,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
You know, I've been anything but a troublemaker in this thread, but I gotta say point blank that slavery and the Holocaust are not "equally tragic". Slavery was shameful and it was a horrible time in history. There is no possible way to excuse it and people must continue to learn from it and learn about it, and I am in favor of anything that will educate people about it.

Having said that, it's not on the level of million upon millions of people being led to gas chambers and being burnt up AFTER they were used as slave labor. Well, the ones who were strong enough were used as slaves. Others, many of them children, were forced into prostitution or just executed immediately if they served no other "purpose" to their captors.
But see that's the point. Things like this continue to happen precisely because slavery isn't viewed with equal disdain as the Holocaust. And that is wrong. Both were equally tragic, albeit in different ways. By reducing slavery to a mere footnote in history, kids like these across college campuses will continue to bring themselves to find humor in it.

Quote:
Whatever punishment is given to these people will be well-deserved. They should be made an example of, and this kind of behavior cannot be tolerated. As for the last part of your statement, don't assume that just because someone disagrees with you that it means they're against you. The person you're responding to came off as anything but a bigot.
I'm not assuming anything. There is a thread of racial condescension in his posts that, coming from a so-called liberal, is truly bizzare and off-putting. Can't say that I am surprised, though.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
So what "pernicious historical connotation" is to be derived from cotton balls? I don't understand that one.
The connotation should be obvious to one with at least a cursory understanding of American slavery.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,874,613 times
Quote:
But see that's the point. Things like this continue to happen precisely because slavery isn't viewed with equal disdain as the Holocaust. And that is wrong. Both were equally tragic, albeit in different ways. By reducing slavery to a mere footnote in history, kids like these across college campuses will continue to bring themselves to find humor in it.

I'm not assuming anything. There is a thread of racial condescension in his posts that, coming from a so-called liberal, is truly bizzare and off-putting. Can't say that I am surprised, though.
You simply don't get it. I think you don't even want to. But you're right, I'm not just a liberal. When I see/hear crap, I'll tell you. And that's no different here. You don't even realize that you're steering people in the opposite direction.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
You simply don't get it. I think you don't even want to.
You've brought forth nothing so far for me to really "get", other than an attempt to rationalize whatever racial backlash you anticipate stemming from this case. You don't think this should be a hate crime, fine. I don't either. But blacks cannot be held responsible for the way people decide to "view" them as a result.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,874,613 times
Quote:
You've brought forth nothing so far for me to really "get". You don't think this should be a hate crime, fine. I don't either. But blacks cannot be held responsible for the way people decide to "view" them as a result.
LOL. I never even said that. I was talking about how people view hate crime laws. That's what you don't get. I even said that the people who throw them charges at the are to blame.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The connotation should be obvious to one with at least a cursory understanding of American slavery.
It may sometimes take me a while to catch on (which I did after reading a bit more of the thread) but was it really necessary to imply that I'm stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies