Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:47 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you would prefer to have someone heal you with their good intentions, rather than someone with the highest level of skill and ability? We all don't have the same abilities, and the brightest and most talented tend to go to fields where there is a good reward for their efforts. If some government flunky can arbitrarily set pay for doctors, why would one go into the field when they are better rewarded elsewhere?
Why do you say that those who are willing to take a little less are stupid and unskilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
It's funny that so many on here will simply discount a survey of almost 1200 docs. Do you really think they're just bluffing?

Yes, most of them. They're making good, no, great money, for the most part. They are not going to make as much, even as researchers (probably especially as that) or in academia, and there aren't enough of those jobs available for 1/3 of US docs to be employed in that way.

Are you so sure they don't have other options available to them?

Not many. See above. Some may say, they can teach science in the public schools. Well, fine. How many anat and phys or general bio teachers do you think the public schools need? Do you think the schools will pay them $200K to do it? If they go the university route, they'll have to go through the tenure-track system, starting at maybe $50 K. The options are few.

Make no mistake...they're telling you what they'll do when the system becomes even more unwieldy than it is already. You'll see cash-only; you'll see no Medicare patients accepted; and you will see them ultimately leave active practice. To pretend otherwise is head-in-the-sand foolishness.
You don't even know if this is a scientifcally valid poll, or if they just asked their members to go online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,477,329 times
Maybe its me (and I read through the posts) but I can't understand:
1) What will happen immediately after they pass the reform and why? Will hundreds of private hospitals and clinics shut down and lay off their physicians? Will patients be left to die on the streets?
2) Will doctors get no pay for their work anymore? Where does that come from? Does Obama's plan say so?
3) Why are these physicians threatening to leave their profession? I understand that some (like in the general population) object the reform, but working in healthcare is more then about this reform. Will medicine be changed forever?
4) If things go wrong (like with any reform) can't future legislators fix that or will it be beyond repair and we are doomed?
Please share your opinions.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM

126 posts, read 161,993 times
So all the money hungry Physicians who got into Medicine to get rich will leave. Well good riddance. The Physicians that I know and work with already are complaining about not getting paid from insurance companies so this article is speculation BS from a right wing publication.

They are saying this because there is already a huge shortage of Primary Care Physicians so this shortage will make it seem like Internists and Family Medicine MD's/DO's will be leaving in vast numbers when in reality most those going into residency are not going into primary care anyways. Primary Care will be taken over by Nurses and Physician Assistants in the near future.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 PM

So this survey is kind of a hoax. Big surprise!

Media falsely attribute doctor survey to New England Journal of Medicine | Media Matters for America

Another big surprise:

Media falsely attribute survey to The New England Journal of MedicineBill O'Reilly: Survey was "published by The New England Journal of Medicine, a prestigious magazine." On the March 16 edition of his Fox News show, Bill O'Reilly said, "A new survey published by The New England Journal of Medicine, a prestigious magazine, says that nearly half of primary care doctors in America could leave the medical profession if Obamacare is passed."

It'd be nice to see some original thinking from some of these posters sometimes.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM

760 posts, read 1,274,306 times
So the question is.... should I begin addressing Walmart greeters as "Dr" being that they no longer are doctors? What is the protocol?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,282,209 times
It proves my point. Those Doctors that leave medicine because of this health bill... LEAVE! I know plenty that will still be there for us, and I will gladly pay them their due. I work my *** off and I want to give it to people who deserve it and give me value for my money, and if a doctor is going to cry over some reform by abandoning his job then maybe he is there for the wrong reasons..... money and not value. You reap what you sow.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
So the question is.... should I begin addressing Walmart greeters as "Dr" being that they no longer are doctors? What is the protocol?
Yes, like former presidents are always "Mr. President". That is the protocol.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,347,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You got that right. Trained at the expense of our VETs. Whoops did we just amputate the wrong foot? hehehe I struggle with the English word left and English word right. Dats ok we will chop the other foot tomorrow.
I hate to give you more bad news, but all teaching hospitals (which include some military hospitals) train physicians. Whenever you get free or next to nothing care it is usually a training facility

Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,347,928 times
It is the boogeyman again! first if you don't support the war the terrorist are going to get you, if you don't protect your guns Obama is going to get them and Now the physicians are (supposely) saying "if this bill goes through we are quitting the profession" Give me a #$@^%$! break! Who in their right mind believes this garbage? Do you realize how long and how much time and money it takes to be a doctor? What other profession would they get into that pays that much so that they can keep their standard of living AND pay the thousands of dollars in student loans?
Here is a secrete folks, if they do leave (which I doubt) Nurse practioners and Physician asst will feel the void with no or little drop off in care. Besides push comes to shove importing physicians from other countries would not hurt either in the short run.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,433,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is the boogeyman again! first if you don't support the war the terrorist are going to get you, if you don't protect your guns Obama is going to get them and Now the physicians are (supposely) saying "if this bill goes through we are quitting the profession" Give me a #$@^%$! break! Who in their right mind believes this garbage? Do you realize how long and how much time and money it takes to be a doctor? What other profession would they get into that pays that much so that they can keep their standard of living AND pay the thousands of dollars in student loans?
Here is a secrete folks, if they do leave (which I doubt) Nurse practioners and Physician asst will feel the void with no or little drop off in care. Besides push comes to shove importing physicians from other countries would not hurt either in the short run.
Now that's change we can believe in folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies