Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,356,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FOXNews.com - Maine Commission Moves to Ban Gender Specific Bathrooms, Sports Teams in Schools
The little girls' room won't be just for little girls anymore, if the Maine Human Rights Commission has its way.
The commission is taking heat over a controversial proposal to ban schools from enforcing gender divisions in sports teams, school organizations, bathrooms and locker rooms. It says forcing a student into a particular room or group because of his or her biological gender amounts to discrimination.

Fox News reports it so you will interpret it wrong.

Not surprised.

But I guess the audience doesn't understand the difference between trans-gender, hetrosexual and homosexual, since thats the whole argument against by the Rev Celeste.

“They don’t care what we have to say,” Celeste said. “They don’t care about most of the kids. All they’re interested in doing is using anything as a guise to introduce the children of Maine to the homosexual lifestyle.”.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/138022.html (broken link)

Last edited by plannine; 04-09-2010 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,935,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Oh yes they do. The Commission is not unlimited. The legislature created it, it can start the process of removing it by any means necessary.
The governor's office created it.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,314,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
Separate is inherently unequal. Jim crow laws.
Actually, I think that most men's women's bathrooms ARE unequal. potty parity Laws have been passed to give women's rooms more square footage and more stalls then men's rooms. The ration is at a minimum of 1.1 to 1 and as high as 4 to 1 in places like movie theaters. (Urinals are even counted as a full toilet, despited being useful only for urination) This despite the fact that men with enlarged prostates tend to urinate slower and take longer than women (we've all seen the commercials).
I'm still in favor of seperate bathrooms but I think there should be a law making sure that the square footage for men's and women's rooms do not vary by more than 10% and that the number of stalls in each is equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The girls lavs are all seperate stalls, there was no "looking on".
Hopefully they will remove urinals if they insist on going down this path.

In some places in Japan they have unisex restrooms. The stalls have rubber flaps to cover the space between the door and the wall and the walls go down to only about an inch off the floor. They haev to do that because you don't sit on traditional Japanese toilets; they are in the ground and you squat over them.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,589,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Actually, I think that most men's women's bathrooms ARE unequal. potty parity Laws have been passed to give women's rooms more square footage and more stalls then men's rooms. The ration is at a minimum of 1.1 to 1 and as high as 4 to 1 in places like movie theaters. (Urinals are even counted as a full toilet, despited being useful only for urination) This despite the fact that men with enlarged prostates tend to urinate slower and take longer than women (we've all seen the commercials).
I'm still in favor of seperate bathrooms but I think there should be a law making sure that the square footage for men's and women's rooms do not vary by more than 10% and that the number of stalls in each is equal.

Hopefully they will remove urinals if they insist on going down this path.

In some places in Japan they have unisex restrooms. The stalls have rubber flaps to cover the space between the door and the wall and the walls go down to only about an inch off the floor. They haev to do that because you don't sit on traditional Japanese toilets; they are in the ground and you squat over them.
Japan's not the only place that has those floor mounted toilets. Saw them in parts of Italy, Ukraine, and Saudi Arabia as well.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Next thing we will hear is glory holes installed in the schools. LIBERALS ARE INSANE!!!!!

Get your kids away from the public schools and the degeneracy of liberalism.
Yup. That's exactly what this is about and what liberals want

Why are people so stupid?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I wonder why they wouldn't have had "corrective procedures" done when she was a baby, seems as though there would have been no transition period? Anyhow, I am very ignorant on this subject, don't know much of the in's and out's as far as timelines go...
Perhaps it was the dr's recommendations to wait? I, too, am not well informed on this subject, but I do think most docs know what they're doing in these situations.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,314,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Japan's not the only place that has those floor mounted toilets. Saw them in parts of Italy, Ukraine, and Saudi Arabia as well.
Thanks for the tip. <Marking those places off my travel list as I write this>

Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM

494 posts, read 891,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As America marches towards The Big Cliff, at least we can say we all had an equally enjoyable fall.
I have no problem with gender neutral bathrooms for adults. They're all over a good deal of the rest of the world. I think it could be an issue for minors though. Keep gendered bathrooms through high school, then after that, who cares?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
Here is something a bit more balanced that I found. And just so you know, there have been similar policies in place in two states for the last 3 years and the world didn't end.
Athletic Business - In the News

Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,720,496 times
If all of the stalls are fully enclosed, what's the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies