Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,490,830 times

Advertisements

In theory people could use ...unisex toilets,could have roomates of the opposite sex,could go to unisex steam baths & saunas...without any inappropriate behaviour...

Could be jailed in unisex prisons...

In theory...

Theory is so far away from reality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,914,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Actually, I think that most men's women's bathrooms ARE unequal. potty parity Laws have been passed to give women's rooms more square footage and more stalls then men's rooms. The ration is at a minimum of 1.1 to 1 and as high as 4 to 1 in places like movie theaters. (Urinals are even counted as a full toilet, despited being useful only for urination) This despite the fact that men with enlarged prostates tend to urinate slower and take longer than women (we've all seen the commercials).
I'm still in favor of seperate bathrooms but I think there should be a law making sure that the square footage for men's and women's rooms do not vary by more than 10% and that the number of stalls in each is equal.

Hopefully they will remove urinals if they insist on going down this path.

In some places in Japan they have unisex restrooms. The stalls have rubber flaps to cover the space between the door and the wall and the walls go down to only about an inch off the floor. They haev to do that because you don't sit on traditional Japanese toilets; they are in the ground and you squat over them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

No laws have been passed requiring women's rooms have more square footage. None. Laws have been passed requiring that the same number of fixtures be provided for women as are provided for men. And even those merely require that when determining the total minimum number of fixtures required for a building, based on total occupancy, that 50% of the minimum be provided for women. There is nothing to prevent more than the minimum be provided for either gender. Places like stock trading floors and sports venues often have two to three times as many urinals as women's rooms have toilets. Because there are more men there. But the gender with fewer stalls still has their needs met based on occupancy.

No code requires that only urinals be provided in men's rooms. They only stipulate the minimum number of water closets that must be provided that meet ADAAG (25% under IBC, 50% under UBC). But there is no law that says that they can't all be water closets in stalls. The reason they aren't all stalls is that men complain. It isn't manly enough to sit down.

Codes also require minimum spacing between urinals which is the same as toilets. And most times a small partition is provided between them, even though they aren't fully enclosed. The end result is the footprint of a women's room is the exact same. In fact usually the rooms are 'mirrored' so that the plumbing stacks are shared to save costs and simplify building and maintenance.

Believe me most architects and builders would be pleased to provide all stalls for men. It would be soooo much easier.

Last edited by kodaka; 04-10-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Good thing about this thread, those who actually support this idiocy, expose themselves (no pun intended), for just how whacked they really are.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

No laws have been passed requiring women's rooms have more square footage. None. Laws have been passed requiring that the same number of fixtures be provided for women as are provided for men. And even those merely require that when determining the total minimum number of fixtures required for a building, based on total occupancy, that 50% of the minimum be provided for women. There is nothing to prevent more than the minimum be provided for either gender. Places like stock trading floors and sports venues often have two to three times as many urinals as women's rooms have toilets. Because there are more men there. But the gender with fewer stalls still has their needs met based on occupancy.

No code requires that only urinals be provided in men's rooms. They only stipulate the minimum number of water closets that must be provided that meet ADAAG (25% under IBC, 50% under UBC). But there is no law that says that they can't all be water closets in stalls. The reason they aren't all stalls is that men complain. It isn't manly enough to sit down.

Codes also require minimum spacing between urinals which is the same as toilets. And most times a small partition is provided between them, even though they aren't fully enclosed. The end result is the footprint of a women's room is the exact same. In fact usually the rooms are 'mirrored' so that the plumbing stacks are shared to save costs and simplify building and maintenance.

Believe me most architects and builders would be pleased to provide all stalls for men. It would be soooo much easier.
I never said anything about laws requiring more square footage for womens rooms. I only said that a law making them equal would go a long way to establishing the so-called parity that politicians seem to seek. You are right that no NATIONAL law has been passed. The previous one that I thought passed died in committee. A new one was introduced last month. With the busy schedule the Democrates have planned before November (when they are certain to lose many seats) looks like it won't give time for this one to make it to a vote. Still, there are state and local laws, as well as international ones for those forum members nt in the US. The following is from Wikipedia Potty parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The first "Restroom Equity" Act was passed in California in 1989.[5] It was introduced by then-Senator Arthur Torres after several long waits for his wife to return from the bathroom.[5] LP Field in Nashville, Tennessee was built in 1999 in compliance with the Tennessee Equitable Restrooms Act, providing 288 fixtures for men and 580 for women.[1] The Tennessean reported fifteen-minute waits at some men's rooms, compared to none at women's rooms.[1] The Act was amended in 2000 to empower the state architect to authorize extra men's rooms at stadiums, horse shows and auto racing venues.[6]"

"Current laws in the United Kingdom require a 1:1 female–male ratio of restroom space in public buildings.[7] The International Building Code requires a 2:1 female–male ratio of toilets.[8] New York City Council passed a law in 2005 requiring this in all public buildings.[8][9] An advisory ruling had been passed in 2003.[9] U.S. state laws vary between 1:1, 3:2, and 2:1 ratios.[1] The Uniform Plumbing Code specifies a 4:1 ratio in movie theaters.[1]"

It's ironic that when they speak of "parity" they always seem to demand more than the other side.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times
I'm surprised women's restrooms don't come with a stall big enough for chair or sofa so that the gaggle of hens that go potty together can sit and chat while one of the group does her business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I never said anything about laws requiring more square footage for womens rooms. I only said that a law making them equal would go a long way to establishing the so-called parity that politicians seem to seek. You are right that no NATIONAL law has been passed. The previous one that I thought passed died in committee. A new one was introduced last month. With the busy schedule the Democrates have planned before November (when they are certain to lose many seats) looks like it won't give time for this one to make it to a vote. Still, there are state and local laws, as well as international ones for those forum members nt in the US. The following is from Wikipedia Potty parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The first "Restroom Equity" Act was passed in California in 1989.[5] It was introduced by then-Senator Arthur Torres after several long waits for his wife to return from the bathroom.[5] LP Field in Nashville, Tennessee was built in 1999 in compliance with the Tennessee Equitable Restrooms Act, providing 288 fixtures for men and 580 for women.[1] The Tennessean reported fifteen-minute waits at some men's rooms, compared to none at women's rooms.[1] The Act was amended in 2000 to empower the state architect to authorize extra men's rooms at stadiums, horse shows and auto racing venues.[6]"

"Current laws in the United Kingdom require a 1:1 female–male ratio of restroom space in public buildings.[7] The International Building Code requires a 2:1 female–male ratio of toilets.[8] New York City Council passed a law in 2005 requiring this in all public buildings.[8][9] An advisory ruling had been passed in 2003.[9] U.S. state laws vary between 1:1, 3:2, and 2:1 ratios.[1] The Uniform Plumbing Code specifies a 4:1 ratio in movie theaters.[1]"

It's ironic that when they speak of "parity" they always seem to demand more than the other side.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Good thing about this thread, those who actually support this idiocy, expose themselves (no pun intended), for just how whacked they really are.
I don't know what you mean. Nobody has actually "supported" anything because nothing has actually been proposed. It's all academic at this point, a bunch of what-if's, how's and why's. And there is nothing in this world that doesn't benefit from discussion. Nothing.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FOXNews.com - Maine Commission Moves to Ban Gender Specific Bathrooms, Sports Teams in Schools
The little girls' room won't be just for little girls anymore, if the Maine Human Rights Commission has its way.
The commission is taking heat over a controversial proposal to ban schools from enforcing gender divisions in sports teams, school organizations, bathrooms and locker rooms. It says forcing a student into a particular room or group because of his or her biological gender amounts to discrimination.
there is a reason God puts us on earth for only so many years. We couldn't take the changes if we were here much longer. Many things in my life have changed, many for the better, some just progress, this is down right stupid and probably one of the craziest things I have ever heard. Pretty soon it will discrimiation if a teacher grades a student on doing or not doing their home work. The teacher will be accused of discriminating against a kid that has a part time job cause the kid doesn't have time to do his homework.

Nita

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,709,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Stupid reasoning if you're really trying to apply that to restrooms. Give me a break.
The segregation of bathrooms happened in the Roman empire1,700 years of bathing in public in separate accommodations is a long tradition. About time we stirred things up a bit.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there is a reason God puts us on earth for only so many years. We couldn't take the changes if we were here much longer. Many things in my life have changed, many for the better, some just progress, this is down right stupid and probably one of the craziest things I have ever heard. Pretty soon it will discrimiation if a teacher grades a student on doing or not doing their home work. The teacher will be accused of discriminating against a kid that has a part time job cause the kid doesn't have time to do his homework.

Nita
I don't like to get upset or debate fantasy what-if's. There seems to be no shortage of that here of CD though.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
A simple solution would be to have 3 bathrooms and 3 locker rooms...girls, boys, unisex.
That should make everyone happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies