Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Can I recommend, for your reading pleasure and enlightenment, Malachi 3:8-11? Usury is generally understood to mean an immorally high interest rate on money--like loan sharking. God is definitely against that. Christians in the Middle Ages tended to equate interest and usury because money lending was generally done by Jews. In a sense anti-usury laws were anti-Semitic--not aimed at the practice of money-lending per se but against Jews.
No - usury means interest period. May I recommend for your reading pleasure and enlightenment:

[Exodus 22:25] "If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury."

[Leviticus 25:36] Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee."

[Leviticus 25:37] Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase."

[Deuteronomy 23:19] Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury: "

It really is here nor there. Your arguments that religion (Your Religion) has a dominant place in our Constitution is false.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 04-15-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
That is funny TEA party stands for TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY. Hmmmm which means we dont like our taxes. Aleast those are in the tea party I'm sure are not big fans of taxes, spending and the IRS tax plan.
The tea party was created by those who supported ron paul and small government not sarah palin and those new leeches who jumped on the bandwagon for VOTES come 2012.
tea party people know the difference between real conservatives and those who give lip service.
I hope America is ready for real change and it starts with the concept of liberty first.
Now - isn't that the truth

Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It really is here nor there. Your arguments that religion (Your Religion) has a dominant place in our Constitution is false.
It has no place in the Constitution. No mention of Jesus. No mention of the Bible. No mention of God.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:24 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times

Tell us something we don't know...

The federal income tax hits hard only "the rich",those who earn more than 100K...

Even at 60-70K ,the fed tax is relatively little,below the threshold of anger...

The gov is smart.
They keep most Amers below the threshold of revolt & squeeze those who have ...plenty left,after taxation ,thus have no stomach to revolt...

Old 04-15-2010, 02:47 PM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
See post #20.

I didn't say we were a democracy. There's a difference between "democracy" and "a democracy." In case you're unaware, "a democracy" is a form of government. "Democracy" is a method by which government is formed.
Thanks ... that was the demented idea about the constitution that I was wondering about.

I'll have you know that the government is NOT "formed" by democracy. The government is formed by, and must adhere to the provisions established by the constitution. The only process that is associated with "democracy" is the process by which representatives are "democratically" elected to serve the people. The form and structure of government is and has always been defined by the constitution.

No laws can be established by virtue of popularity, be it by larger or small majority which conflicts with the constitution, or tramples the rights of an individual protected by the constitution, and therefore, not a democracy.

Quote:
Yep. And the republic is formed using the method known as "democracy." Speaking of the Constitution, have you checked post #20 yet?
Yes, I've heard this many times before ... and from people a lot smarter than you. None of them of course can point to where "income" is defined.

Though this is not likely to strike your rather one dimensional mind as important, in law, such an operative term requires definition. As an example, a "Person" seems very much self explanatory in the course of conversation, yet the term "Person" has a much different meaning insofar as the law is concerned ... i.e. a corporation being a "Person" in the eyes of the court as was just recently declared.

Take the 16th ... "... income from whatever source derived ... " may seem self explanatory ... but only to the extent that YOU or OTHERS ASSUME what "income" really is. Replace the word with another .... "... Tragmuttin, from whatever source derived ..." ... now you tell me that you know what "Tragmuttin" actually is ... that would be really insightful of you if you can do so, because such a thing doesn't exist. In law you cannot assume what a thing is .. be it "income" or a "jackass". Such could just as easily reference yourself as a donkey ... if we all were simply to assume.

The other hint to consider the above as valid is the Supreme Court's decision that the 16th amendment conferred no new taxing authority to the government. (You may look it up yourself ... I shall not link to it, read it to you or otherwise continue the education any further than to let you know such exists).

In addition to this ... no contradictions can exist in law ... be it codified law or the constitution. Considering that the constitution limits direct taxation, subject to the apportionment guidelines, rather than direct access without apportionment, if the intent of the 16th amendment was indeed intended to reverse that, the conflicting language adopted earlier would have to be repealed, otherwise the amendment would be invalid as it conflicted with previously established law.

Therefore, the question ... what is "income" must be answered before constitutionality could be decided.

Maybe this is just too complex of an issue for you to grasp. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it is.

Quote:
Okie-doke. I'm so ignorant I have to school you on the meaning of terms, and the content of the Constitution.
Roll your eyes all you want. You couldn't teach crayons to a 1st grader.

Because of your self recognized expertise in terminology of the constitution, just show us all where in the constitution "income" is defined ... otherwise be quiet, and learn something.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

The federal income tax hits hard only "the rich",those who earn more than 100K...

Even at 60-70K ,the fed tax is relatively little,below the threshold of anger...

The gov is smart.
They keep most Amers below the threshold of revolt & squeeze those who have ...plenty left,after taxation ,thus have no stomach to revolt...
there is no "revolt" because the taxes haven't actually gone up yet.

it's coming, though.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

The gov is smart.

speaking of taxes, i will say one nice thing about obama. i saw his tax return and see that he did give his peace prize award to charity. kudos for that. here is his tax breakdown:

According to the tax returns released by the White House this afternoon, Obama’s adjusted gross income was $5,505,409 - mostly from book sales.

On that, he owed $1,792,414 in federal taxes, or 33%, but overpaid by $8,287. The Obamas applied the refund to next year’s bill.

The President offset his tab somewhat by being very generous, giving $329,100 to 40 different charities.

In addition, the Obamas donated his entire $1.4 million Nobel Peace Prize income to charity and paid $163,303 in Illinois state income taxes.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Well, tax increases should of came about when Bush invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. It's called a War Tax - but then they didn't actually Declare War through Congress - did they

Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Well, tax increases should of came about when Bush invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. It's called a War Tax - but then they didn't actually Declare War through Congress - did they
funny thing-they still haven't, although they did ask for another increase in war spending this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies