Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

10 pages and i havent actually seen the word once,are the mods deleting the word if its used?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I want to use whatever word I want to use whenever I want to use it. That's not to say I wouldn't use discretion as circumstances call for, but I think tabooing a word only gives it more power.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh YAY I get to be a token white peep!!

I agree with Cosby. Nobody should be using that word on another human being. My reasoning is because it's untruthful. Referencing a phenomena the way Twain did is understandable and I'd be against that form of censorship.

Slavery abolished, equal rights established, there is no such thing as n*gger anymore. There are only people who are responsible for themselves, and people who willfully are not, but the choice to be responsible for yourself IS yours. Whatever adjectives people are going to use to describe a behavior, it ought to be truthful. Blacks are not helpless, and haven't been for quite some time now.

This anti-PC crowd; mostly FOS hiding behind right to free speech but it's just a guise to abuse standards of common decency the way most shock jocks get their attention. They can live in their gutter without me. Sociopaths in training feel the need to dehumanize regularly.
The problem is that our whole society has been desensitized to humanism and mutual respect. Activists and government forces focus on pet grievances to launch "pc" campaigns based on the potential for their own promotion. Young people bully and bait each other online because the text screen and the pc monitor have removed the immediate consequences of dealing with people face-to-face. As Americans we have become more distanced from each other than any other time in our history. Personal choices rarely carry personal responsibilities for people anymore. As an African-American I believe the attempt to diffuse racial epithets by using them as everyday familiar language has failed. An insult is still an insult ...we are still conversing in English, after all, which has not changed that drastically in 200 years.
IMHO I see the deterioration of community, I mean national community. By making assumptions that basic civil rights are now enjoyed by all we fail to see the little injustices in the daily lives of the guy next door.
I think it's the fall of the empire. The lack of personal conscience that helped fuel the downfalls of great civilizations before us.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
The problem is that our whole society has been desensitized to humanism and mutual respect. Activists and government forces focus on pet grievances to launch "pc" campaigns based on the potential for their own promotion. Young people bully and bait each other online because the text screen and the pc monitor have removed the immediate consequences of dealing with people face-to-face. As Americans we have become more distanced from each other than any other time in our history. Personal choices rarely carry personal responsibilities for people anymore. As an African-American I believe the attempt to diffuse racial epithets by using them as everyday familiar language has failed. An insult is still an insult ...we are still conversing in English, after all, which has not changed that drastically in 200 years.
IMHO I see the deterioration of community, I mean national community. By making assumptions that basic civil rights are now enjoyed by all we fail to see the little injustices in the daily lives of the guy next door.
I think it's the fall of the empire. The lack of personal conscience that helped fuel the downfalls of great civilizations before us.
Human beings have never had mutual respect for one another. One example of this is the American slave system. Alot of people justified slavery by taking "human" out of it. This isn't the only example of lack of humanism and respect. People all over the world have been doing this for as long as history itself.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
10 pages and i havent actually seen the word once,are the mods deleting the word if its used?
It's "deleted" the same way they deal with any word they don't like. ***** or ***** or ***** aren't allowed either.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
I'm half black , blacks "know" and whites have to be told I'm mixed , so I feel most people talk openly to me. I have never seen a black child or adult CRY over being called the bad N word .Whites are upset more it's said . We should all be made to say it twice a day for a month ,people will learn to treat it like any other silly word , then this N word thing would be over.
" I woke up this morning with some big N naps in the back of my head " See how easy that was !

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Lol @ all the people who say that a white person who says the word will be attacked for it.

Ever heard of Quentin Tarantino, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Patton Oswalt, Lisa Lampanelli, etc?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
I don't have any desire to say it, and I don't want to hear it either, especially not from ignorant ghetto blacks as they talk to each other. I'd never dream of calling my fellow Jews "heeb" or "hymie." I think it is utterly disgusting that so many blacks think of themselves in such denigrating terms. If you wonder why racism is "still here" after all these years, look to the way blacks treat themselves and each other. I could never respect anyone who speaks that way, whether about themselves or others; I wouldn't want them for neighbors and I wouldn't hire them either.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
I've never said it because I think it reflects poorly one the one saying it since, I believe, it was coined from a mispronounciation of the country Niger. Thus, it shows the ignorance of the one saying it. I do not feel that it rises to the level of a ward that should be banned form ebing said, any more than "cracker", "wop", or other ethnic insults. I DEFINETLY feel that if it is OK for one group of people, say Blacks, to say it then it is OK for everyone. Lastly I feel that we should encourage people who are racists to speak their mind so we know who they are. Its always better to let the racists self-identify than be left wondering.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
I'm not white, but I have a friend that is white

It's not so much about "wanting to say it"
it's about feeling as if it's a crime to say that word, even though you hear it every single day in rap songs.

When I hear a young person that likes rap saying, I don't think much of it.
But when I hear a ....... some people, saying it, I know what they mean. (They've told me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies