Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,786 times

Advertisements

I think the phrase "N word" is equally stupid and degrading. Its something a little kid would come up with in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
You ask a very complicated question. I don't think any words "should" or can be banned . . . as for political correctness, there are "rules" that are culturally prescribed and this is one of them.

I think, in general, people should have the basic courtesy and common sense not to refer to people in derogatory ways . . .

It becomes complicated when the taboo word is used in music because then it becomes cool and part of the popular culture . . . then some people can say it and some can't . . .

I noticed that high school kids (black and white) use it all of the time to address each other on Facebook . . .so to these particular people, it appears to be cool.

But for ignorant, racist people to use it is obviously offensive.

But I think this is all pretty well understood. I am confused as to what aspect of this issue you are unclear about.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I want the freedom to use any word I choose.

I will usually choose not to use words that offend large numbers of people.
Same.

I think people get offended by words because they are told to get offended. These taboos only last so long anyway, eventually new people will use words in ways we can't yet imagine. Some of us want to impose our view on future generations but it's a loosing battle so why try?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 PM

448 posts, read 533,844 times
I could ask you the same question about the word H**kie.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
I'm not black, but I use the "n_word" all the time in my home and in private conversations among friends. We all do. It's no big deal.

I wouldn't say it to a black person though. Doing so could cause problems.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
The word is for the ignorant... regardless of color using it, expand your vocabulary if you feel a need or simply still one's tongue.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I don't. But i guess its lie wheni ehard baclks get angry at blacks and use it. The same reason blcks sue ****** altho white don't seem as sensitive. Heck comdian and record s black now use it commonly. Besides that the B and Ho word to decribe women. The sourt long ago said callig some one the F word or shootig the finger is not disoprderly but stil condiered fighting words as a defense on assult. The worlsd is getting worse on calling names not better. Many word have become recognised as common language of the people now by courts now.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The word is for the ignorant... regardless of color using it, expand your vocabulary if you feel a need or simply still one's tongue.
Why though? It's not as if it's the ONLY word someone uses. In fact, someone who uses it has a vocabulary that is one word greater than you ehh?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,786 times
"whio gives a crap about your biggoted opinion, girl friend?"

LOL obviously you do...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
It's not "n-eye-gee-gee-e-r" anymore...it's "n eye gee gee a"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies