Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM

694 posts, read 745,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
It is not that we want to use the word, it is that we don't want any words that only a certain segment of the population can say.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
Oh YAY I get to be a token white peep!!

I agree with Cosby. Nobody should be using that word on another human being. My reasoning is because it's untruthful. Referencing a phenomena the way Twain did is understandable and I'd be against that form of censorship.

Slavery abolished, equal rights established, there is no such thing as n*gger anymore. There are only people who are responsible for themselves, and people who willfully are not, but the choice to be responsible for yourself IS yours. Whatever adjectives people are going to use to describe a behavior, it ought to be truthful. Blacks are not helpless, and haven't been for quite some time now.

This anti-PC crowd; mostly FOS hiding behind right to free speech but it's just a guise to abuse standards of common decency the way most shock jocks get their attention. They can live in their gutter without me. Sociopaths in training feel the need to dehumanize regularly.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I'm looking forward to the day when "that word" get's co-opted and has a new meaning. It's going to be fun watching heads explode while the old guard tries to explain to the new wave WHY that word should only ever have one meaning and should never be uttered by anyone. Every. Forever. Hahaha...people get upset when THEIR issues aren't carried forward in perpetuity, generation to generation.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when "that word" get's co-opted and has a new meaning. It's going to be fun watching heads explode while the old guard tries to explain to the new wave WHY that word should only ever have one meaning and should never be uttered by anyone. Every. Forever. Hahaha...people get upset when THEIR issues aren't carried forward in perpetuity, generation to generation.
I wonder if the word "Redskin" will also go the same way as that word. I wonder if people who get as bent out of shape about that word are sitting in their living room yelling "GO 'SKINS" and not thinking twice about it, not realizing that a lot of Indian people really don't like it, but we just have to deal with it as we are being "honored".

Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
So, it is my right to say it! It is also my right to call people retards, fat ass, beaners, wht trash, you name it. But because I was raised by descent parents I would never say any of these things to people that might take offense to it. To me it is just common sense. And I also don't want to get my ass beat.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:

Thanks, my white peeps )

My question to you is, why would black people want to use a word that is anchored in discrimination and slavery? Of all of the words used as a slur, the "N" word is #1.

As for me, I don't use the word, and don't want to.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 AM

298 posts, read 1,090,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The most disgusting word in the dictionary. The word should be expunged from everyone's mind. It should not be used by ANY race. The rage and hurt it generates is my proof.
Someone explain to me in great detail why it's a disgusting word that is so vile that it should never be uttered again by anyone?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
I don't think it is such that white people "want" to use it -- it is they are tired of the separation. Racism will always exist as long as people create those divides - as long as you have a word that is off-limits to one group because of the racial images it brings to mind, then it should be off limits to all. Equal folks, equal. The vast majority of young people weren't born into that racism world and they know what they know of that word from relatives and past ancestors associations with the word -- time to get over it and let people heal - particularly those who didn't experience it. No white people don't "want" to say it - they just want people to learn to live in an equal existence.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,047 times
It is recommended to read The Institutes of Justanian to get the definition of black and its word origin.: Book IV

The word furtum comes either from furvum, which means "black," because it is committed secretly, and often in the night;

or from fraus; or from ferre, that is "taking away," or from the Greek word phor meaning a thief, which again comes from pherin, to carry away.

Medieval Sourcebook: The Institutes of Justinian, 535 CE

Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
It is recommended to read The Institutes of Justanian to get the definition of black and its word origin.: Book IV

The word furtum comes either from furvum, which means "black," because it is committed secretly, and often in the night;

or from fraus; or from ferre, that is "taking away," or from the Greek word phor meaning a thief, which again comes from pherin, to carry away.

Medieval Sourcebook: The Institutes of Justinian, 535 CE
We know how you feel about blacks when we read this racist post:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies