Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times

Advertisements

When I hear the word, "Congress" it's often heard with the words, "Getting ready to go on recess."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You do realize, that salary is only a part of their true earnings.
Outside employment income is generally limited to 15% of member pay. That would currently be $26,100 per annum. But members may not receive any compensation at all from employment in real estate, insurance sales, the practice of law, the practice of medicine, or service as an officer or board member of any corporation.

Quote:
Do you have any idea the perks they get?
Do you have any idea of the vast gulf of difference that exists between their actual perks and what the right-wing disinformation media describes those perks as being?

Quote:
Oh, and you mention the work these men and women put in? You must have your eyes closed, they probably don't truely work more than 6 to 8 months a year. I used to know exactly, but not right now.
No, you never knew. They work 24/7/365. You are never not a member. All of these recesses that you think of as "play time" are actually District Work Periods. That's when they go back home and schlep all over their district or state for townhall meetings with constituents, public appearances, and meetings with local business, government, and social leaders to talk about what's going on and what needs to be done in the district or state. Just another chance for some more 14- to 16-hour days, just like the ones they put in back in Washington. The only breaks they get are the month-long August recess -- much of which typically also goes to district work -- and the Christmas recess, which can't actually be counted on either, depending on what sort of legislation is on the agenda.

Quote:
Seniors did not get any increase in SS this year, may very well not get one next year. Should we have had a raise?
Your "raise" is a cost-of-living increase. The cost of living went down. Did your benefit go down as well?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
so we agree you were incorrect in intimating the 4.60 hour pay for congress
Not at all, apparently.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Not at all, apparently.
My bad so you still claim that congress gets paid 4.60 and hour

Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
This is just a rant against democrats,not worth the read....sorry

Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Outside employment income is generally limited to 15% of member pay. That would currently be $26,100 per annum. But members may not receive any compensation at all from employment in real estate, insurance sales, the practice of law, the practice of medicine, or service as an officer or board member of any corporation.

Do you have any idea of the vast gulf of difference that exists between their actual perks and what the right-wing disinformation media describes those perks as being?

No, you never knew. They work 24/7/365. You are never not a member. All of these recesses that you think of as "play time" are actually District Work Periods. That's when they go back home and schlep all over their district or state for townhall meetings with constituents, public appearances, and meetings with local business, government, and social leaders to talk about what's going on and what needs to be done in the district or state. Just another chance for some more 14- to 16-hour days, just like the ones they put in back in Washington. The only breaks they get are the month-long August recess -- much of which typically also goes to district work -- and the Christmas recess, which can't actually be counted on either, depending on what sort of legislation is on the agenda.

Your "raise" is a cost-of-living increase. The cost of living went down. Did your benefit go down as well?
As a matter of fact, yes, it did go down due to a slight increase in medicare, but it was only a few cents. Yes, the cost of living went down, mostly due to the fuel costs and seniors do very little driving so we are not as affected when it comes to using formulas. I totally understand the reasoning behind this even if I am not a beleiver in formulas, there has to be guideline. My point is, why would anyone think the congress should get raises when others are getting none or taking cuts.

As for congress working 24/7, we were part of the DC scene for 7 years ans still have 2 friends that serve in congress. No, they do not work 27/7. The honest ones will tell you that. Are they on call, if a disaster would occur? yes, but they do not work anywhere near that long and take a lot more breaks than you have listed. During much of the district break times as you call them they are either campaigning or are playing (to some degree).

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
No, I'm quite familiar with those, and they get used in paying for things like office equipment and supplies. Oh, and staff. Are you aware of a private corporation that expects its executives to pay out-of-pocket for paper clips and the salaries of support personnel? I've not come across any.
Its very obvious you havent come across many individuals who are self employed in life then, because THEY ALL DO.
Quote:
No, you never knew. They work 24/7/365.
More bull crap... They do NOT work 24/7/365. They might be on call 24/7, thats being on call isnt exactly work..

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
This is just a rant against democrats,not worth the read....sorry
I have to somewhat agree with you, the OP apparently had an agenda. I do think it is interesting which party members voted for a pay increase, but yes, like more threads, it was started to prove something.

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:

When all those Congress critters get caught up in sexual conduct unbecoming one of their position, I guess you would argue that they are doing their 24/7/365 jobs.

I failed to get a raise in SS pay this year and my amount paid in for Medicare went up. For some reason that makes my monthly check smaller than last year. What do you call a raise?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM

199 posts, read 404,404 times
I feel everyone is entitle to a pay raise....but these are elected officials that the great people of america voted them into.....and if the economy is in such bad shape.....do you really think it is right that these so called 15 people be talking about a pay raise .....or should they be talking about a way to make the people of america that voted them into office......helping them keep their homes...help with the great unemployment problem.....help the younger generation with better educational resources...help the elderly with better health care facilities......helping the homeless veterans and families have a stable home and income

Remember when you go for a job you have to sell yourself to get the job....once you are hire you have to keep at that pace if you do you will be recommended for a raise or you no what you will be ask to leave......the same should work for elected officials they sell themselves to us for a job and it is up to us in two or four years if we are going to keep them in or vote them out....so why is it that we cannot be the ones to vote if they deserve a raise or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies