Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So, basically, the "facts" you provided in your post didn't have an ounce of validity.
Not an asnwer to the question. It seems that you just don't want to admit that you don't face levels of difficulty, challenge, and responsibility sufficient to meet the standard of 1/37,826th of what is carried by a Congressperson. Your $4.60 is looking to be in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
LOL. I WASN'T EVEN THE ONE THAT SAID THAT.
This is the post you professed to reply to -- Can you provide any example of a Congressperson actually making such a demand? Have you forgotten or did you ever know that the stimulus bill provided just about $60 billion to support the jobs and salaries of just such people?

But your reply made no reference to it at all. As if you'd forgotten what you meant to say.

Quote:
But don't let that stop you from avoiding the question. In your world, is the resolution always spending money and complaining about the amounts others have?
My world is a very intricate world of assessing and balancing policy options. Spending and revenue factors are often involved. Fortunately, I'm pretty good at this, so I make quite a bit more than what a Congressperson makes. Your generic envy theme has crashed and burned once again. Such overreach.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Again, avoiding the question. The answer was "Yes ATT is in the black" and "The federal government is in the red". Easy.
There is a difference between "easy" and "simple". You've apparently yet to learn it.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Wow. Simply wow. Ok, so, can you tell me what my alternative to government taxation is? In your idiotic grocery story analogy, I can claim that I have the option to either shop around or grow my own food. So, whats the alternative to paying taxes?
Apparently, but not so surprisingly, the analogy has gone right over your head. Money is forcibly taken from you at the end of the grocery store check-out line. If you try to reneg on your obligation to pay, the full force of the law will be brought to bear against you. In fact you are more liable to suffer the pains of swift justice at the grocery than when dealing with the IRS.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
In the whole realm of things, 174K is an outstanding salary in this country and unheard of in most of the world.
So the salary of a US Senator should be gauged in comparison to the wages of a simple weaver in East Africa, is that it? Why wouldn't you have chosen comparison to a person with a comparable position in the same economy? Failure to do so makes it seem like you are engaging in a dishonest argument.

Quote:
If that were the case, and the constituents of these representatives agreed, then I think a raise is fine. I doubt very highly that is the case in these soft economic times.
FYI, a Congressperson's job is to represent the interests -- not the opinions -- of his or her constituents.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Case and point.
For future reference, that would be "case IN point."

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
you wouldn't have this same opinion if all 15 people were republican and everybody on this forum knows it.

You would be in this thread, throwing an absolute fit if they were all republicans. Your partisan nature makes you one of the least respected posters on this forum. This thread is proof.
bingo !

Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Maybe those 15 could learn a lot from our local school board.

They were recieving $50 a month, but with tough economic times and budget cuts galore, they voted to go w/o any pay.

Their position was they shouldn't expect others to take cuts if they didn't take cuts.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Just to add my 2 cents. How in the world can anyone complain about them getting a raise but when the president wanted to limit the millions in salaries by ceo's on wall street? Let's see:150,000 vs 100 million salrary.

And to top it off,the companies were,and still are failing. There isn't even a difference because my taxes are going to both the ceo's salaries and the senators salaries,both of whom aren't performing well on the job.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:46 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There is no difference between similar public and private sector workers. Each produces goods and services that are just as real as those produced by the other.

You, in the company of many others in this thread, seem to be outraged over the mere fact that a vote was taken at all, even though one is REQUIRED in this case. The pay raise again was DEFEATED by a vote of 402-15.
there is a huge difference.

the government sector workers take from the private sector and the private sector PROVIDES.

now that the private sector is being tapped out, the government sector still shows no signs of slowing down the spending and, in fact, would rather kick people off of unemployment than suffer any decreases in their own pay and, in fact, want pay raises!

a lot of the struggling of the private sector is due to the IMPOSITIONS and REGULATIONS of the government sector. this disconnect and this arrogance will set up the changes that we will see on election day. people are starting to see what the government is doing, just as with cap and trade legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies