Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 04:43 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
post after post after post after post defending these 15. Why?
I don't think I've so much as mentioned a one of them. I began simply by noting that Congressperosns are grossly underpaid and providing some demographic info on the 111th Congress. As Congresspersons, however, they have every right to vote as they see fit, and as has been pointed out now if you weren't aware of it earlier, the salaries of more than just Congresspersons are affected by the outcome. Meanwhile, all sorts of silly charges and claims have been made, most on the basis of nothing in particular. I took it upon myself to shoot some of those down in the interests of honesty and fairness. Does that answer your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:54 PM

180 posts, read 188,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I love these posts. Thank you for informing us so we can vote out these scumbags. Why are 13 of 15 black? What is the connection?
Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that they are part of the 44% of congress that aren't millionaires? Easy to vote against a pay cut with a couple million bucks in the bank.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:58 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
$174K isn't really that much money nowadays especially to maintain two different homes and the other expenses associated with being a member of Congress. For all the work that many of these men and women put in each day, I think the compensation is a bit low. I do believe that Senators should be paid more than Representatives though...
Sorry for thinking you were nuts and totally out of touch with reality.

$669 PER DAY sure is tough to make ends meet.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Don't expect racism to be so in-your-face about itself. Have you asked yourself yet why pictures of the 15 Representatives who voted for the pay raise were included in the OP? What information pertinent to the actual topic do they convey? None. None at all. The only message that they carry is RACE and one after another, people fell right for it. You think you're not racist? I don't know you, but I wouldn't be so sure. Might want to think some things through for just a bit...
You wouldn't have this same opinion if all 15 people were Republican and everybody on this forum knows it.

You would be in this thread, throwing an absolute fit if they were all Republicans. Your partisan nature makes you one of the least respected posters on this forum. This thread is proof.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
What responsibility do you have that is 1/37,826th as important as what Congress deals with every day? Has your boss asked you to rescue any global economies lately? How about coming up with a plan to reorganize health insurance for 307 million people...is that in your performace plan? Dealing with any Israeli/Palestinian conflicts after lunch today? How about Iran or North Korea? How about all of those at the same time and then ten times more?
So, basically, the "facts" you provided in your post didn't have an ounce of validity.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Gee, I thought you were going to provide some examples of all those Congresspersons demanding that police and teachers and the like lose their jobs or see their salaries slashed, but you didn't do that. Why not??? Don't you have any examples of that???

LOL. I WASN'T EVEN THE ONE THAT SAID THAT.

But don't let that stop you from avoiding the question. In your world, is the resolution always spending money and complaining about the amounts others have?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Do you understand what a stupid question that is? But go ahead. Tell me what the CEO of freaking AT&T does that makes him worth 184 times what a Congressman is worth. What issues and problems does he grapple with that come even close to what Congress deals with? There is no comparison.
Again, avoiding the question.

The answer was "Yes ATT is in the black" and "The federal government is in the red".

Easy.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You seem to be confused between corporations providing a real product or service to consumers versus government fat cats who elect raises for themselves.
There is no difference between similar public and private sector workers. Each produces goods and services that are just as real as those produced by the other.

You, in the company of many others in this thread, seem to be outraged over the mere fact that a vote was taken at all, even though one is REQUIRED in this case. The pay raise again was DEFEATED by a vote of 402-15.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I don't care that they belong to a minority group. The fact is that the federal government needs to cut, cut, cut and are doing nothing but spend, spend, spend. I bet these are the same individuals that support every poor, low-income, and middle class American paying the VAT to pay for these pay raises.
It won't take much of a tax to cover these $0 in pay raises. I don't think most folks will even notice it.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Way to grasp the big picture, CH. And taxes aren't taken from you any more forcibly than payment for any other goods and services. Don't think so? Go down to the grocery store, fiill up a cart, then try to dash out without paying. Tell the arresting officers that they're using excessive force on you. They always like to hear that one...
Wow. Simply wow.

Ok, so, can you tell me what my alternative to government taxation is? In your idiotic grocery story analogy, I can claim that I have the option to either shop around or grow my own food.

So, whats the alternative to paying taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies