Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Why would it be odd? The law provides for small automatic annual pay raises for Congress. If they don't vote at all, they get the pay raise. If they don' want to get the pay raise, how should they proceed?
I never claimed they werent entitled to their pay raise.. Have I? I'd prefer to see much higher pay for Congress members, with far fewer of them in existance. If we had better pay then maybe we'd have a better quality Congress..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,715 times
Saganista - please stay on topic. To the original OP and other posters on this thread, I am a Democrat and I am ashamed of these 15 people. One of the representatives is actually from my state. Rather than come on here to defend the indefensible, I found Rep. Donald Payne's homepage and sent a strongly worded email to his office over how appalled I am that he tried to vote himself a raise while we are facing extreme education budget cuts to our system. Shocking. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

These sort of posts do not have to be seen as inflammatory - but rather as informative. I don't get into the whole pointing of fingers and snickering between parties. I prefer to get good information such as this, contact the appropriate Congress/Senate person who has brought disgrace and shame upon our state and our party through his mindless voting on this particular issue, and make note that he is up for re-election in 2010. Obviously, this guy does not represent MY voice in Washington. It's been noted. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Do you understand what a stupid question that is? But go ahead. Tell me what the CEO of freaking AT&T does that makes him worth 184 times what a Congressman is worth. What issues and problems does he grapple with that come even close to what Congress deals with? There is no comparison.

Why are you SO angry?? Are people not allowed to have a different opinion than you?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why are you SO angry?? Are people not allowed to have a different opinion than you?
Scientists deal with problems on a much more complex level than congresspeople ever do, and they aren't highly paid. Quite the opposite. It's called the marketplace. Unfortunately, up until recently, congress has circumvented the market process by having this "automatic raise" kick in every year unless they specifically vote nay on it themselves.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Why would it be odd? The law provides for small automatic annual pay raises for Congress. If they don't vote at all, they get the pay raise. If they don't want to get the pay raise, how should they proceed?
The law also provides for a very small annual Cola raise for Social Security people but Obama and the Congress have seen fit to not allow that raise for two years. I am talking about government only and not competing corporations.

Have you heard Obama say that at some point you have made enough money? I watch Fox so I get to hear him say that several times a day. I wonder what he meant and if the amount that is enough is the $250,000 he used to talk about. Just wondering if that $174,000 plus perks would happen to be his cut off amount. Too many small businesses will have to pay everything over his amount to the government to keep them to his suggested amount.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Where have you been? Not voting for Obama, Not agreeing with Obamas policies, Being a republican, not being a political hack for the democrat party all makes people a racist now. Well at least according to many liberals. Anyone that does not support Obama is a racist. ( according to many liberals) You dont have to actually be a racist to be called or labeled one
Here's the deal -- oppose Obama all you like. But have cogent logical reasons that you can actually articulate for that opposition. I opposed Bush's invasion of Iraq because there was no logical imminent threat, there were peaceful means at hand for achieving the objective of disarmament, I knew that most of the evidence for the existence of WMD had been faked, and I knew that years of deprivation under the sanctions had worn thin a testy peace between religious factions, meaning that any signficant destabilization would likely lead to civil war and sectarian bloodshed.

When you seek to peel back the layers of much opposition to Obama, you often find nothing of any substance at all. He hung out with terrorists. He spoke to people at ACORN. He has advisors that the media call "czars". He uses a teleprompter. He never served in the military or ran a business. He never stops campaigning. He thinks there are 57 states. Those are meaningless shams of reasons to oppose a President, and particulalry to oppose him so viscerally. When abject hatred cannot be tied to any other motivation, the fact that he is black and the well-documented history of this country point to racism as the real reason. Is it fair that racism ends up being the default motivation? No, it isn't, but that is the sitiuation that Obama critics face. If you don't want to be presumed a racist, bring something to the table that will actually stand up as your reason for crticism instead.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I don't see any problem with them wanting a raise, wouldn't YOU want a raise once in a while? I try to put myself in their shoes, they really aren't making that much money compared to what they could be making in the private sector. Not all the Representatives are independently wealthy folks, many support their family on the salary they make, I don't hold it against them for wanting to make a bit more.
I suspect that most of them weren't capable of making a living in the private sector....

Old 05-04-2010, 02:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I suspect that most of them weren't capable of making a living in the private sector....
They had to be doing pretty well in the private sector to "buy" enough votes to get into Congress. Maybe not as well as they do in Congress but I just don't see any of them underdressed or anything like that.

3,153 posts, read 3,595,461 times
I wonder what the average salary of their constituents is?? Maybe they should be made to live on the same salary as the people who they serve..

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
When you seek to peel back the layers of much opposition to Obama, you often find nothing of any substance at all. He hung out with terrorists. He spoke to people at ACORN. He has advisors that the media call "czars". He uses a teleprompter. He never served in the military or ran a business. He never stops campaigning. He thinks there are 57 states. Those are meaningless shams of reasons to oppose a President, and particulalry to oppose him so viscerally. When abject hatred cannot be tied to any other motivation, the fact that he is black and the well-documented history of this country point to racism as the real reason. Is it fair that racism ends up being the default motivation? No, it isn't, but that is the sitiuation that Obama critics face. If you don't want to be presumed a racist, bring something to the table that will actually stand up as your reason for crticism instead.
What the heck does Obama have to do with 15 lunatic congressional members voting for a pay increase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies