Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
then let's send them back to the private sector so they can earn that money!.

these people certainly don't understand the concept of sacrifice for their country.....

i don't think there are any more JFK democrats left.
Not to defend the actions of these congressppl, but you do realize that JFK was the heir (eldest son) to a very RICH family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Dirty DICK Cheney got a $5,000.00 raise in '08...times were tough...poor DICK!.....he just couldn't turn it down....

Old 05-04-2010, 03:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Does it make sense to compare apples to fish? Again, I am not forced to purchase anything from private companies.
How do you propose to survive? You do not have a choice as to whether to buy groceries just because you could choose to buy them at Whole Foods or at Trader Joe's. You will buy them somewhere. It's an imperative.

Quote:
If I choose to purchase their products then I obviously find value in their product. If they choose to reinvest their earning in advertisement, there's no issue. If I choose not to purchase their wares then I in no way contribute to their advertising budget.
You are another sufferer from Island Delusion. You are a node on an economic network. Resources flow in to you and out from you. You help fund the preferences of others and others help fund yours.

Quote:
When it comes to elected officials who offer no value for their product and actually force me to buy...
No value? Is that your final answer? Maybe you should try using a lifeline on that one.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
This is pretty funny. For months I watched the GOP faithful start thread after thread claiming 250k/yr salary was "not rich" as a means to attack Obama. Now when somebody under that votes on a raise, they claim they are being greedy.

Which one is it guys?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why are you SO angry?? Are people not allowed to have a different opinion than you?
People may have any opinion they like, but if they choose to show up on a political forum and post them, they should have some willingness to see them critiqued and to then back up what they have to say.

You otherwise in this case confuse exasperation with anger. It is ridiculous to try to support a point by comparing the profitability of AT&T to that of the US government. The government is not a for-profit enterprise. The whole notion of a comparison is absurd.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
This is pretty funny. For months I watched the GOP faithful start thread after thread claiming 250k/yr salary was "not rich" as a means to attack Obama. Now when somebody under that votes on a raise, they claim they are being greedy.

Which one is it guys?
You seem to be confused between corporations providing a real product or service to consumers versus government fat cats who elect raises for themselves.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Scientists deal with problems on a much more complex level than congresspeople ever do, and they aren't highly paid.
Slightly presumptive on multiple counts, and seemingly confusing complexity with difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Quite the opposite. It's called the marketplace. Unfortunately, up until recently, congress has circumvented the market process by having this "automatic raise" kick in every year unless they specifically vote nay on it themselves.
That is the current system. Under the previous arrangement, the raise was calculated, but they didn't get it unless they voted to take it. The result was that they rarely voted to take it, and Congressional pay was effectively frozen. And not taking the pay raise affects the salaries of others, including the federal judiciary, which has been in crisis for some years now for being unable to attract quality personnel over pay issues. Nothing is ever as simple as 2+2 types try to make it.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like most of these belong to a minority group?
I don't care that they belong to a minority group. The fact is that the federal government needs to cut, cut, cut and are doing nothing but spend, spend, spend. I bet these are the same individuals that support every poor, low-income, and middle class American paying the VAT to pay for these pay raises.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The law also provides for a very small annual Cola raise for Social Security people but Obama and the Congress have seen fit to not allow that raise for two years. I am talking about government only and not competing corporations.
Now, now, Roy. You know very well that Obama has nothing to do with it. The Social Security COLA is calculated as the average CPI in the 3rd quarter of one year over the average CPI during the third quarter of the preceding year. The 2009 average was LESS than the 2008 average, meaning you should have seen your benefits reduced. But the law doesn't allow that, so you kept on receiving the same thing. If the average CPI in the 3rd quarter of 2010 exceeds the average from 2008, you'll see a raise in 2011. If the 2010 average also falls short of the 2008 average, you won't. You'll just get the same thing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Have you heard Obama say that at some point you have made enough money? I watch Fox so I get to hear him say that several times a day. I wonder what he meant and if the amount that is enough is the $250,000 he used to talk about. Just wondering if that $174,000 plus perks would happen to be his cut off amount. Too many small businesses will have to pay everything over his amount to the government to keep them to his suggested amount.
He likely doesn't mean any amount in particular, just that at some point, more money just doesn't mean very much to you anymore. The is the theory of diminishing marginal returns, more speciifically marginal utility theory. It's an extremely important principal in tax policy, as the intent of tax policy is to equalize the burden of taxes, not the dollar cost or percentage paid. If he is talking about $250K in this case, very few small businesses will be impacted, and none will pay anything like 100% of income over any limit at all. Your handlers have apparently mistreated you again.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I suspect that most of them weren't capable of making a living in the private sector....
Right. Most of them were deadbeats and dropouts without a past or a future, and then, just like that, local business, professional, and social leaders began pushing them to run for national office and providing them with campaign funding to do that very thing. I've seen it happen over and over again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies