Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,864,436 times

Advertisements

As this is not an American holiday, why does it even hold credence, nevermind precedence in the American public school system? If they want to use the 5th of May to teach about the Mexican victory over France, that's fine, but allowing this kind of ignorant travesty and hatred of America in a public school setting is absolutely heinous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
As this is not an American holiday, why does it even hold credence, nevermind precedence in the American public school system? If they want to use the 5th of May to teach about the Mexican victory over France, that's fine, but allowing this kind of ignorant travesty and hatred of America in a public school setting is absolutely heinous.
It was (I think fairly obviously) not hatred of America that led to the school's actions; they obviously were concerned that the kids with the American shirts were wearing them that day deliberately to incite tensions and potentially start fights. Not flag shirt as symbol of patriotism or love of country or any such thing, but flag shirt as way to send a political message. Given the situation in Arizona and some of the other rhetoric these days it's easy to interpret that message as anti-Hispanic and/or anti-immigrant.

I think the school vastly overreacted and that the kids should certainly have the freedom to wear flag shirts (even if their intent was malicious) but let's not pretend that this is some sort of anti-American act. They just wanted to keep their school campus and its students -- of all backgrounds -- safe and calm.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,232,646 times
I had read that the shirts were worn last year as well. I think that this was more than likely instigated by the parents. They are getting their 15 minutes of fame.

I think it would be a great mistake to get sucked into this.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
Perhaps a little off the main question here, but have you seen the shirts they were wearing? I know there are different opinions as to whether or not flags on clothing are considered appropriate or not, but a couple of those shirts are the ugliest "patriotic" shirts I've ever seen. Again, I know opinions vary, but I think it's tough for them to say that it's unpatriotic to wear their shirts inside out when those are the shirts in question.

I do think they have a right to wear ugly, hideous, interpretations of the flag, however unpatriotic, or at least distasteful, I think those shirts may be.

scroll down for the photo of the kids and their shirts:
Zombie » Students punished for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo

Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM

979 posts, read 4,460,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
so, you're ok that it happened? i mean if you're not then you're right there on the tea bagger side. so which side are you on?
Is this incident indicative of what goes on in the Southwest US? I don't think so. If a pattern emerges of kids being sent home for wearing flag t shirts on the 5th of May then maybe we should be outraged. This appears to be a mistake by some poor ******* that was hung out to dry by the district superintendent of schools.

The reason this story appears at all is because it gets traction with readers predisposed to believing it's a trend and guarantees major media some ad revenue.

My side? They should wear what ever they want any day they want.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
It wasn't their attire, it was their attitude. Bet on it.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,980,018 times
When did Cinco De Mayo become a real holiday? People treat it like the Mexican St. Pattys Day.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:40 PM

979 posts, read 4,460,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
When did Cinco De Mayo become a real holiday? People treat it like the Mexican St. Pattys Day.
+1 Dub D. It's not that I need an excuse to drink Margaritas but this will do, especially in the middle of the week!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,140,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It wasn't their attire, it was their attitude. Bet on it.
My thoughts exactly. I'm positive they did it on purpose to **** people off, and clearly they succeeded. These kids will become even bigger jerks as adults.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,628,072 times
hmmm... luckily for that district Martin Luther King day is a state holiday so they don't have to deal with those same kids wearing confederate flags to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies