Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Yes! No gun turned in has ever been involved in an accidental shooting of a minor! And none has ever been used in another crime.

Unlike the experience in Memphis.
*groans and puts head down in hands* Manigault...we have agreed on some things in the past, but you are STILL deftly avoiding the concrete question.

That is, are there some stats out there that show the Buy Back program has resulted in lower crime rates or accidental deaths?

Sure, I will grant you that any gun destroyed will not be used in a crime. BUT...this is like saying if I throw away a rusty axe, then it will not be used in an axe murder. Or some kid might not cut his foot on it.

No -- scratch that-- not exactly like that at all. More like, the fact that this particular axe might not kill or injure someone -- accidently or otherwise -- make any difference in the said equasion of deaths/injuries? For all we know, that axe may never have been or ever be, the culprit for anything other than to cut down a tree....

So what I am asking is, is there any evidence at all, that ANY of these Buy Back programs anywhere, anytime, have had an impact on the crime/accident rates wherever they were implemented?

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-09-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
No one, not even the chief of police by his own admission, think that guns-for-cash programs work as a way of reducing gun violence, but it can't hurt to get rid of guns that people care so little for they're willing to part with for a 100 bucks, out of society.

Grieving mothers and relatives of victims of gun violence attend these things and sing songs and march and do all sorts of koom-by-yah things and feel better for a day, citizens pick up a few bucks, and unwanted guns are taken care of.

Seems alright.
No one said it's wrong for a private citizen to sell their gun. What is sad is when they sell below true market value. Chicago's buy back is not to smart cause you can't buy back what you didn't sell. Tis logical as Spock would have said. Some feel good things still accomplish nothing except to make a mark or dent into freedoms that guns won over 200 years ago. I still see it as an undermining of the leftest movement.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
No one said it's wrong for a private citizen to sell their gun. What is sad is when they sell below true market value. Chicago's buy back is not to smart cause you can't buy back what you didn't sell. Tis logical as Spock would have said. Some feel good things still accomplish nothing except to make a mark or dent into freedoms that guns won over 200 years ago. I still see it as an undermining of the leftest movement.
I hate to think about this , but I was at a 'gun buy' like his some years back in NoCal. An elderly lady brought in a gun, just an old worthless piece of junk to her. It just so happened this 'old worthless gun' was a first gen Colt SAA, 7 1/4 inch martially stamped .45 Colt with about 60-65 % original finish with the original hard rubber grips. To add insult to injury, it was residing in an original US Army Indian wars period flap holster with US stamp. . The holster was a bit worse for wear, but was still in one piece. I would like to think that some cop had the wherewithal to not allow that piece to go to the shredder. Would that I could have talked to the lady before she turned the thing in. Such items being sent to the smelter is a criminal act in and of itself. How much history has gone this route? Just because of this skewed view that guns are evil? It's jsut WRONG on to many levels to list.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I hate to think about this , but I was at a 'gun buy' like his some years back in NoCal. An elderly lady brought in a gun, just an old worthless piece of junk to her. It just so happened this 'old worthless gun' was a first gen Colt SAA, 7 1/4 inch martially stamped .45 Colt with about 60-65 % original finish with the original hard rubber grips. To add insult to injury, it was residing in an original US Army Indian wars period flap holster with US stamp. . The holster was a bit worse for wear, but was still in one piece. I would like to think that some cop had the wherewithal to not allow that piece to go to the shredder. Would that I could have talked to the lady before she turned the thing in. Such items being sent to the smelter is a criminal act in and of itself. How much history has gone this route? Just because of this skewed view that guns are evil? It's jsut WRONG on to many levels to list.
Well said.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,759 times
Quote:
As far as the ban on handguns, that's a different topic, for sure.

As for this program however, for all we know is that the people that participated have many more guns at home, or plan to buy more in the future, handguns excluded of course. But that's not a function of guns for cash initiatives.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
So what I am asking is, is there any evidence at all, that ANY of these Buy Back programs anywhere, anytime, have had an impact on the crime/accident rates wherever they were implemented?
I haven't seen any such study. All we have is inference.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
As far as the ban on handguns, that's a different topic, for sure.

As for this program however, for all we know is that the people that participated have many more guns at home, or plan to buy more in the future, handguns excluded of course. But that's not a function of guns for cash initiatives.
Does anyone know the real purpose? Remember this is Chicago. Chicago was in my history books years ago and this program will one day make he history books good or bad. I want be around to read what they say and that is comforting in its own way.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Who cares about the price, we are not talking about crude oil or bananas. The price paid is more like a symbolical price, a thank-you on the part of the state or city.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
The biggest fallacy you put forth is assuming that humanity is different now than we were thousands of years ago. We know more information, but human nature and instinct is no different today than it was a thousand years ago.

Sophistication and education has given us new ways of killing each other. It has never done anything to make humanity less violent.
I don't know about you, but I sure am not like people thousands of years ago, not even hundreds of years ago. While our bodies have not changed much from the Stone Age, culture makes all the difference. We are humans and not animals, animals can't serve as an excuse for gross behavior.

When I said earlier that we are not in the Middle Ages anymore, I meant that today we have a different opinion of life. Back then people were dying a whole lot, because of every little ridiculous thing. People were breeding a lot in order to compensate for the high death rates. Today is more like quality instead of quantity. Life is precious and most of us appreciate that attitude. The Middle Ages were a dangerous place, people were killing each other all the time for funny reasons. All that chivalry crap that people today tend to idealize so much.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Using firearms can also be very enjoyable. Be it for target shooting or hunting - big game and small game like quail, turkey, and so on.

Guns can be truly enjoyable.
Lol, as if we had not enough other sources of joy today
I have lived in European cities most of my life, I graduated from university, guns are just a very outdated thing to people like me. Among urban Germans guns have the same bad reputation as drugs, except for legitimate institutions (police and army) they are only for criminals, pimps etc., not decent people. Even hunters are considered "wild" by urban people.

I don't have a power deficit, no need to feel powerful by killing animals, let alone humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies