Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times

Advertisements

Native Americans owned slaves.

Rep. Diane Watson: Jim Crow in Indian Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Don't ask that question to loud. The democrazies will come up with a way to have them vote for them like the mexicans and blacks.
You are obviously uneducated. Let's go with the basics.
To
Too
Two
Okay Cletus, which one did you use incorrectly and where?

Last edited by baxendale; 05-14-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Back in the bad old days, just about everyone was either a part of the ruling class or they were someone's property or a peasant or serf.
Well the serfs were not truly considered slaves. The serfs had a right to grow their own crops on the landowners property even if it was a small patch of land. The slaves largely did not have those rights.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,745 times
That is true. But as a person whose father was Cherokee and mother is African American I have had to learn both histories extensively. I don't know very much about other tribes, but the Cherokee would have put up more of a fight for their rightful freedom. Hell anyone would have except someone who is in a place with horrible weather, strange food and no where to run from for freedom? Also, this was probably the same treatment that they received in Africa. Maybe they suffered from some form of MASS HYSTERIA. Since they are all dead (and I assume that they are) we will never be able to ask why they didn't either fight back or leave.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,745 times
I have been married for nearly seven years and I gone through drug and alcohol addictions with him. He has gotten fired from jobs fired jobs because he thinks that a man of 61 should not have to work (even though he did not pay taxes). Now he's become paranoid with the fact that the democrats are in office and has cost us many friends and isn't so funny anymore.

I'm middle aged and feeling better mentally than I have ever felt and can easily support myself, but here is the problem. I own the house that we live in and am not sure as to what to do about it? I plan to move back to my home state and cannot manage it. Equally nice neighborhood homes haven't.

I know that I've written a lot here but I don't know where to start.

What would you guys and gals suggest that I do?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That would have been tough since many of the above were White people and even the most racist White slave owners would have had problems keeping 'em enslaved.
Well, the Duke of Cumberland shipped off the wives and children of Highland Scot Jacobite supporters (or, often enough, Highland Scots who were merely SUSPECTED of being supporters of Bonnie Prince Charlie by enemy clans) to be enslaved in the Carolinas and the Caribbean JUST LIKE Africans in 1745. I'm not talking about indentured servitude either, I mean actual slavery. Said Scottish slaves were housed with the African slaves and treated in the same manner.

Scots would have been much closer to the dominant culture in the American colonies in the 18th century than Russians (or minorities within Russia), and there wasn't a problem with enslaving them. Russian slaves wouldn't have been able to communicate with the slaveowners. And said slave owners didn't have any problem with enslaving people who for all practical purposes were white but were classified as black under the one drop rule, not to mention there were isolated cases of slavetraders kidnapping white orphans to be sold as slaves, so I wouldn't think that slaveowners would've been bothered by Russian slaves.

The big difference would be in subsequent race relations in America - there probably would have been no such thing as a "white American", as Americans would have identified more with the European countries they came from and hated people who came from other European countries (or even different parts of the UK) just like Europeans did at the time.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,143,580 times
All these people who know ALL THINGS about the native americans yet they are not Nas. They havent walked the walk or heard the stories of the things that really happened..Just school books stories for children to read..

Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
How can any current enlightened human being understand the rationale of a people who were as backwards and supremely ignorant as those who felt other human beings should be slaves? It is more likely that these deranged barbarians didn't view africans as human beings, but human-like animals who could be forced to conform by subjecting them to extreme violence and cruelty (much like taming circus animals). They had to find such a people who could be separated from their homeland so they could use the elements of unfamiliarity and fear to aid in the subjugation. They needed a people who were physically powerful enough to withstand the harshest of realities. They probably viewed native americans as human beings, people who weren't in a position to be subjugated and controlled to the same extent as africans.

A shameful, shameful period in world history, one strains today to comprehend that level of ignorance.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
All these people who know ALL THINGS about the native americans yet they are not Nas. They havent walked the walk or heard the stories of the things that really happened..Just school books stories for children to read..
I would have agreed with you 20 years ago.

However, the history books I got in college, went into much greater detail about native american culture, history, and the dirty details of European occupation much more closely to the stories I heard growing up, than anything I could really have hoped for.

From the biological warfare, to the Cherokee who owned land (and slaves) and were forced off of their legally held and held property at the point of a gun in Georgia and Eastern Tennessee by the Jackson administration. All the way to wounded knee. It was all there, in pretty good detail.

So many stories won't be told, won't be remembered, because most people just died. I've heard stories from my grandfather, but he said that his mother didn't like speaking about the past, because she was ashamed of what happened to her, and her people.

I could never imagine what they went through. I can just try and help make sure that it never happens again.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,126 times
The policy towards Native Americans was extermination, clear and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies