Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why are repugs NOW screaming like babies for BIGGER GOVERNMENT !

Why are repugs screaming NOW for aid to unemployed fellow Americans?

Why are repugs NOW so worried about the environment, why have they become real tree (or coastal) huggers NOW?

Haven't had a one of them explain their total FLIP-FLOP....
Great questions. I'm also curious about the following:

What happened to all that talk about personal responsibility - why does the CEO of BP get a pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

What happened to all that talk about personal responsibility - why does the CEO of BP get a pass?
or Jindal for that matter.

:: Baton Rouge Business Report :: How prepared was Louisiana? (http://www.businessreport.com/news/2010/jun/01/how-prepared-was-louisiana-indt1/?government-politics - broken link)

Local officials in some coastal parishes wanted to start putting out protective boom almost immediately after the Deepwater Horizon explosion because they knew the rig would likely collapse and cause an oil spill. The program officials wanted would have cost $1.3 million, but Jindal balked at the expense and instead waited to act until days later, when BP officials had confirmed the well was leaking.

“[Within three miles of the coast], it’s state business. It’s state responsibility,” Jones says. He says the state should have immediately set up a “cash flow” fund, possibly using an economic development fund containing about $80 million. Coastal parishes could have accessed $1 million or more in the fund to provide for their own protection, recognizing that the state or the parishes could file claims against BP to recoup that money later. He says the state has demonstrated its ability to respond to small, quickly contained oil spills.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If you live in a state that can be prone to certain type of disasters: hurricane, tornado, flooding, earthquake, fires etc isn't it a State's responsibility to be prepared for those type of things through building codes, drainage, etc., supplies, etc. Why would an oil accident be treated any differently since it is not an if, but a when, type of scenario.
Funny, that's what a lot of folks thought after Katrina but they were all told they were wrong....it was still Bush's fault and his responsibility regardless of how ill prepared, incompetent and negligent state and local governments were.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Dumbing it down is how they must frame the argument in order to give themselves a sense of false standing. It allows them to maintain their illusion of superiority:

Conservatives want to have limits for abortion on demand = "Conservatives want to kill women and make them slaves to the womb"

Conservatives disagree with 0bama's health care plan = "Conservatives want people to die."
Quote:
Unhinged much?

How would acting in a timely manner, and getting the supplies and assistance to the state governments that they requested, be equal to "Obama is powercrazed"?

How would making a decision to allow Jindal to build berms, a few days after he requested, be equal to "Obama is powercrazed"?

How would accepting assistance from foreign nations that wanted to loan their oil skimmers be equal to "Obama is powercrazed"?

How would expecting 0bama to follow the Clean Water Act, and the Oil Pollution Act be equal to "Obama is powercrazed"?""""

GOOD questions? But only a repug would know how they can make that kind of connection....and they would've....especially if their mentor Rush or Beck said so....

""""0bama had his chance to fake us all out, and pretend to be Mr. Competent by doing all the above, but he didn't because he is just a former community organizer, and partisan hack.
Ooooh, PINK letters ...how cute...someone must be outraged

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
There are such methods....we just aren't using them. Well, to be fair,six weeks after the spill we finally accepted the skimmers from the Dutch (they offered them just days after the spill). The skimmers can be flown here and attached to our clean-up ships. They do just as you describe....skim off the oil and water, store the oil in tanker ships and redeposit the water into the ocean. The same could easily be done with super tankers and unlike the skimmers, super tankers could collect the oil that is below the surface as well. AFAIU, we don't use these because the water put back into the ocean isn't completely clean, it still contains oil residue and that is against EPA standards.
We have the ability but we just are not using it? Who has the ability the government, BP? How do they extract the oil beneath the surface? Why is it the Dutch are the only country with skimmers?

I understand there are some super tankers from Saudi Arabia extracting oil but not sure of the method.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If the federal government is to protect the nation from man made disasters maybe we shouldn't be drilling that
far down in the first place Heard Jindal wants to continue drilling. Everyone seemed so ill prepared for this accident. Shouldn't we wait, until there are more safety measures in place

Does anyone know why Louisiana, itself, did not have things in storage before hand. Does Louisiana have an oil emergency plan in place? I am just curious as to what role and responsibility a State has in an oil emergency since oil companies drill in their own backyard.

If you live in a state that can be prone to certain type of disasters: hurricane, tornado, flooding, earthquake, fires etc isn't it a State's responsibility to be prepared for those type of things through building codes, drainage, etc., supplies, etc. Why would an oil accident be treated any differently since it is not an if, but a when, type of scenario.
It's the Fed who has a role and responsibility, not the state.
The coastline is Fed owned. The state has to get permission from the Fed as Jindal is trying to do in order to build berms to try to keep the oil from entering the marshlands. But the Fed is studying the environmental impact of building berms. Over what I ask myself..berms or oil ..seems like a no brainer to me.

Sorry..can't push this one off on the state..their hands are tied.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
FEI (For Everyones Information) Canada requires relief wells drilled at the same time the main well is being drilled. What do you want to bet mother Britain also has the same requirements in the North Sea? I wondered why BP was drilling so far from home and now I know. Jindal is all of a suden a prophet visionary of great foresight who is stalled and frustrated by Obama's ineptitude. Oh brother. Literally. Jindal is chafing at the drilling moratorium and even as the seafood industry goes under and what little else is solvent in LA he wants the oil industry back on its feet. I get that. America is nothing but a big playground for money interests. Just heard today that after 25 years some kind of closure is coming to the Bohpal, India gas leak that killed unknown tens of thousands by Union Carbide. 25 years ago Union Carbide had to go to India to get away with lax safety measures and limited liability. Another ten years of outsourcing and America will beg these companies to come back and will be only too happy to look the other way when plants are underspec'd and uninspected. It's called progress. Get ready for it. It's coming and it won't be pretty.

H

Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We have the ability but we just are not using it? Who has the ability the government, BP? How do they extract the oil beneath the surface? Why is it the Dutch are the only country with skimmers?

I understand there are some super tankers from Saudi Arabia extracting oil but not sure of the method.
My understanding is that both methods are similar...suck up oil and water, deposit water back into the ocean and contain the oil. The skimmers work from the surface, the super tankers can also collect from below the surface, I don't know exactly how it works but I'm imagining large intake tubes or something of the sort.

We don't use them because our EPA regs do not allow contaminated water to be pumped back into the ocean. These methods leave oil and residue in the water although they can clean up 80%+ of the oil fairly easily....millions of barrels at a time.

The president should have said early on to scrap the EPA regs. Cleaning up 80% quickly and then working on the remaining oil is a heck of a lot better than cleaning up just the small portion that we are able to do now. It's ridiculous. Obama looks like a complete incompetent.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

YUP! Notice how not ONE repug has had a bad word to say about their God Corporation , BP/Halliburton/Transoceanic ......the parties RESPONSIBLE.

So their drooling about "personal responsibility" is only for Democrats...repugs just ignore it

Next they'll be taking up a collection and having benefit dinners to save BP ('cause ya know they're big givers!)

Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Nah, he/she is on the meds, notice that only two words was in all capital letters? And those two words - LOVE CORPORATIONS, hmmm subliminal, maybe he/she loves corporations?
Great "defense'...the old 'off the meds ' response.....clearly indicating you have no answer (unless it's in PINK!!! LOL!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies