Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 AM

66 posts, read 176,256 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband has a job offer in both Richmond and Portland. We are both from southeast NH and have lived in MA for 5 years and are currently living in Bangor (for the last 3 years).

We are hoping the next move will be a more settled one since we have two young children.

We visited Richmond and were very impressed. There are so many things to do. It has the cobblestone streets with shops and restaurants... artsy streets... the most amazing parks ever... and the river is a beloved part of the lifestyle. Everything is beautiful and child friendly... stuff to do indoors and out all year long.

At first, the offer was only for Richmond so we have been gearing up for this new adventure of living in a safe and beautiful in-town neighborhood within walking distance to everything we loved on our visit.

Now... Portland has been added to the mix. Closer to family in NH... and I have vacationed on Hillsbeach in Biddeford since I was born. So it would feel like we're moving back home in a way.

I have always fantasized about moving to coastal southern Maine but I have no idea how it will actually be to live there. The weather is no mystery but I'm wondering if it feels like a ghost town in the winter...

I'm also wondering if there are any nice places to live in or around Portland that are safe and walkable to shops and restaurants and the beach... within 30 min. of the Portland hospital.

Richmond's heat scares me quite a bit and it is far from family and it is very Bible oriented and conservative... but it does seem like it would be a fun place still... the way we could experience both a neighborhood and a city within walking distance... but no beach close by...

I am more artsy, hippie-spiritual and my husband is kind of a yuppie but very down to earth. We're both white but enjoy cultured and eclectic diversity. We like a town and home that offers a lifestyle rather than just status... unless we can get waterfront (we would sacrifice on a "downtown" for a waterfront lifestyle).

Our budget is between $400-600K

Any thoughts either way? Or advice on a fitting place for us to call home in or around Portland? The Portland position won't pay as much by the way... by quite a bit... but the family thing is a big one to consider.

Thank you in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
What is the cost of living in Richmond? In Portland, $400-600k would get you a nice place in the West End, which we live in now (we've been here a whole week!) It's a funky, fun neighborhood and easily walkable to shops, downtown, the arts district, etc. The vibe seems pretty liberal, and frankly it's been nice to be here where I feel if I put a liberal bumper sticker on my car I probably won't get nasty comments or worse, shot (we were in southern NM last year, a stone's throw from Texas.) Of course, I also think people could have a conservative bumper sticker and feel the same sense of security (at least I hope so.)

Waterfront in this area is of course expensive. There is a realtor from the area who posts here, and maybe he'll stop in to give advice -- he's awesome.

Good luck with a hard decision!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM

263 posts, read 626,180 times
The Heat is just going to get worse down there, Portland has so much to offer, we will be moving there in a couple of Years.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM

163 posts, read 260,141 times
Ive lived in VA Beach (had relatives in Richmond), I live now in a town right outside of Nashua, NH and am about to move to Calais, ME for my husbands job. I haven't lived in ME yet, but I can tell you I was in VA as a kid and its an AWESOME place to visit but I would NEVER raise a kid there. I know VA Beach is much different from Richmond, but again I had relatives there....I believe the crime rate to be much higher in VA but again thats just an opinon. More people rotating, meaning there because of something but probably not settling, so there were very different (yucky) attitudes about life. Im a hippish, earthy person myself I would definately choose ME with those two choices.

Just my thoughts. Good Luck and life it what you make it no matter what you choose!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Richmond is probably pretty conservative. Portland is very liberal. (I can only speak for myself and say that I learned the hard way that you CAN'T put a conservative bumper sticker on your car if you live Portland and not expect to get vandalized...).

Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Richmond has it's charm. I have no statistics to back it up but would think the crime rate is significantly highr there than anywhere in Maine. Richmond has culture, history. fine schools of higher learning, wonderful museums.

As Roland states, the heat in the south is becoming unbearable each year. I just returned from Maine Monday, I am missing the 73 degree days. It was mid 90's here in Nawth Cackalakie today. I mistakenly drove my '63 Chevy truck without airconditioning 50 miles to a car show today much to my wife's dismay. I cannot wait to reside in Maine. Good luck with your choice, with the money you have budgeted you would find a nice place in the suburbs of Richmond. Oh yeah, it does snow frequently in Richmond as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM

163 posts, read 260,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Richmond is probably pretty conservative. Portland is very liberal. (I can only speak for myself and say that I learned the hard way that you CAN'T put a conservative bumper sticker on your car if you live Portland and not expect to get vandalized...).
Good to know ahead of time!!! I wonder if thats the same in Calais

Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
I have lived in VA 18 of my adult years including 8 in Richmond. Richmond is not "eclectic" (whatever that means) It is also not the least bit liberal although african american voters mostly vote democratic. Virginia, outside of the DC suburbs, is ultra-conservative - kinda like Alabama close to the northeast. I like it that way, but you won't. Stay up in the NE where there are like-minded eclectics. BTW, why anyone would want to live in the city of Richmond itself is beyond me - yes the el touristo stops are historic and quaint and the like, but don't let that fool you. Downtown and near downtown Richmond is not safe.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I lived in the Portland area for years and always had a conservative bumper sticker and never had my car vandalized. Try putting an anti-Obama sticker on your car in VA, you might not get shot.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMom76 View Post
Good to know ahead of time!!! I wonder if thats the same in Calais
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area