Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

I think you would like either Milwaukie or Sherwood. They are both charming towns with the type of houses you are seeking. Sherwood would probably be closer to more employment opportunities. The commute for you if you are going to be working downtown may be frustrating if you drive; lots of stop-and-go traffic and the bus takes a long time. Milwaukie on the other hand has bus service and a MAX train.

I don't think you can go wrong in either town. I think if you come here to check them out you will like them both. They would be my choices if I weren't a die-hard city person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherinaustin View Post
I'd like to stay in the area of $1500 (up or down a little ok). Also a clarification, "cookie cutter" is probably different in Portland. The housing styles are just different up there than here in TX. I'm ok with amenities like shopping centers, etc. just not in my backyard and on every freakin' corner. If they are along the highway, great! If they are at the entrance of my neighborhood (and I'm not talking about mom & pop places, coffee bars, etc.) I'd like to avoid that. Again, this is what I'm leaving. I know it's everywhere and I know that cities are expanding and this is the route they go...new employer in town, let's build 5 McD's within a 10 mile radius!!

Here's the areas I researched yesterday - give me your opinion:

Mikwaukie & Sherwood
Sherwood, hands down. Newer community and has a little more charm than Milwaukie (in my opinion)

Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
The family members my wife needs to care for are in in Salem, and we also have relatives with a ranch/farm in McMinnville that I know we'll be frequenting. However, that doesn't mean we need (nor want) to be right on top of either. We'd be perfectly fine if we end up in somewhere like Camas - it's a heckuva lot closer than an 8hr plane flight from Ohio for her.

Interesting to hear about the WL/W - I knew it was fairly good, but I wasn't aware it was that good. My kids definitely know where Wilsonville is, because a trip to Bullwinkle's is almost a requirement whenever we're in Oregon..lol.

@Heather - I really didn't mean to hijack your thread. My apologies if you're offended!
A commute from Camas to Salem would be a nightmare. West Linn and Wilsonville are really good family communities. Just far enough out of the city to get away yet you're still very close to shop, eat, etc. etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
A commute from Camas to Salem would be a nightmare. West Linn and Wilsonville are really good family communities. Just far enough out of the city to get away yet you're still very close to shop, eat, etc. etc.
But remember that we're not talking about a daily commute for her. We're talking about a handful of times a month and almost certainly not during rush hours.

What do you know about Happy Valley?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
So, it appears that any of those areas are OK. Were I her I would look at the primary school data and rank their enrollment areas in order of preference.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
But remember that we're not talking about a daily commute for her. We're talking about a handful of times a month and almost certainly not during rush hours.

What do you know about Happy Valley?
I agree with Nell. Look at the school rankings and go from there. Happy Valley (in Clack. Co) is a newer community too that was built out during the housing boom but has now kind of died off. Its a little far out there in my opinion and not really central to anything. And the nearest larger shopping/dining area is in a pretty sketchy part of town (82nd Avenue area off I-205)

Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Sherwood, hands down. Newer community and has a little more charm than Milwaukie (in my opinion)
Newer community does not equal the older houses that the OP said they preferred.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 AM

92 posts, read 362,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Newer community does not equal the older houses that the OP said they preferred.
Thanks for clarification. I don't want a newly built community. Even the ones that are built to look old. Portland may not do that. In Austin, the new subdivisions are building "old main street" with craftsman style houses and, no I'm not joking, PLASTIC white picket fences. It's tacky.

I'm fine with communities with new growth. That's great. And convenient. I would personally like an older house so am looking for a town that has older neighborhood/houses. I don't care if the neighborhood next to me is newer, as long as I can have an older home with character and charm, established with trees, etc.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherinaustin View Post
Thanks for clarification. I don't want a newly built community. Even the ones that are built to look old. Portland may not do that. In Austin, the new subdivisions are building "old main street" with craftsman style houses and, no I'm not joking, PLASTIC white picket fences. It's tacky.

I'm fine with communities with new growth. That's great. And convenient. I would personally like an older house so am looking for a town that has older neighborhood/houses. I don't care if the neighborhood next to me is newer, as long as I can have an older home with character and charm, established with trees, etc.
That's a definite pattern in Portland. There is one builder who has stuck housing in the tightest spots near the cute little Clinton area business section with new homes designed to look like old. You can see similar houses all throughout the city. They are all imitation craftsman houses. I think this is a trend in most cities these days.

I like them though. They are way better to look at than the ugly glass and steel condos that have sprung up like weeds all throuhgout the older neighborhoods like on Belmont, Hawthorne and Division.

Last edited by Minervah; 04-23-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM

92 posts, read 362,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's a definite pattern in Portland. There is one builder who has stuck housing in the tightest spots near the cute little Clinton area business section with new homes designed to look like old. You can see similar houses all throughout the city. They are all imitation craftsman houses. I think this is a trend in most cities these days.

I like them though. They are way better to look at than the ugly glass and steel condos that have sprung up like weeds all throuhgout the older neighborhoods like on Belmont, Hawthorne and Division.
Oh I agree! The thing that irks me about the new "old" is those damn plastic picket fences! They look so cheap! Like the builders can't spring for wood????? I hear ya about condos. The recent trend in Austin, which makes me sad, is to have these massive 45 plus story skyscraper condos go in all over downtown. From the highway and other spots marked for "scenic" views of downtown, all you see are the big condo buildings. They overshadow the Capitol building and even the infamous UT tower. It's sad. Our east side, which used to be a low income side but with some neat old houses, is now being built up into lofts and condos with $300k pricetags. And houses are squeezed in everywhere here too. I know it's growth and the way the world works but it's ugly. There is no space anymore, a building or store on every square inch. You can't drive through TX on the main interstate without every sq. ft. of land being occupied. There are no "growth boundaries" here. it's a free for all, even in the suburbs outside Austin.

I do appreciate Portland in that regard. It was so nice to see trees every where and have so much wide open space driving down the highway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland