Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times

Advertisements

I think it was inferred here that a place "is what it is". Portland is a beautiful and exciting city, but is very progressive and liberal. It isn't going to change, nor do I care for it to. I am basically conservative but enjoy what the city has to offer, i.e. culture that isn't found much here in Texas!! Portland has too much rain, so I am here for the sun and sanity it brings.

I very much enjoy visiting there for the New Age and nirvana experience I get from the people there. They are for the most part very kind, friendly, etc. just a bit off center is all. I enjoy going to the yoga classes, the ashrams, the beautiful nurseries (Portland Nursery SO great!), the wonderful restaurants, and bookstores. My biggest thrill is all the fantastic health food stores and little eclectic places in NW (Pearl District) and SE (Hawthorn District). Kinda like a mini Disneyland at least compared to what is here in Texas where I reside. Someone on another Portland thread mentioned something about rose colored glasses. Well, I just put on my rose colored glasses and enjoy my time greatly in the Rose City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I think it was inferred here that a place "is what it is". Portland is a beautiful and exciting city, but is very progressive and liberal. It isn't going to change, nor do I care for it to. I am basically conservative but enjoy what the city has to offer, i.e. culture that isn't found much here in Texas!! Portland has too much rain, so I am here for the sun and sanity it brings.

I very much enjoy visiting there for the New Age and nirvana experience I get from the people there. They are for the most part very kind, friendly, etc. just a bit off center is all. I enjoy going to the yoga classes, the ashrams, the beautiful nurseries (Portland Nursery SO great!), the wonderful restaurants, and bookstores. My biggest thrill is all the fantastic health food stores and little eclectic places in NW (Pearl District) and SE (Hawthorn District). Kinda like a mini Disneyland at least compared to what is here in Texas where I reside. Someone on another Portland thread mentioned something about rose colored glasses. Well, I just put on my rose colored glasses and enjoy my time greatly in the Rose City.

It sounds like a good city despite the nasty weather. Even though I have no problem with overcast skies/drizzle. What I'm curious about is just "how conservative people are in Portland (burbs) when compared to say Texas, Florida, Alabama etc....? Anyone with observations?

P.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL (REPUBLICAN/CONSERVATIVE) ALBERTO GONZALEZ RESIGNED TODAY I'M FEELING GREAT WHY COULDN'T THIS HAPPEN WITH GEORGE BUSH (8 YEARS AGO)

Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanityincredibly View Post
Seems like whatever anyone says they're walking on eggshells, you're gonna **** someone off regardless. It's all so convoluted and so very confusing sometimes. I think I'm liberal but then sometimes Rush Limbaugh makes sense, rarely, but sometimes. Either way, the only constant in life is disagreement. Can anyone argue that statement??
Rush Limbaugh NEVER makes sense. He and Sean Hannity need to take a break from trying to conquer America with their capitalist rederick and pro-war mentality.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM

I think maybe they are in enclaves, or in SW Portland and beyond. Have to get out of metro Portland. Maybe within some of the churches and businesses, that kind of thing. But I think overall Oregon is a blue state? When I lived there I was not into politics, just into surviving as a student.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I think maybe they are in enclaves, or in SW Portland and beyond. Have to get out of metro Portland. Maybe within some of the churches and businesses, that kind of thing. But I think overall Oregon is a blue state? When I lived there I was not into politics, just into surviving as a student.
It seems like "we're all" surviving as students...LOL I remember my college years like they were yesterday. Now, I'm in school for my second degree and it feels so shocking. Young people today are so different than when I was growing up. These days, everyone is glued to I-Pods, Game Consoles, laptops and cell phones. This "digital" generation is quite sad. No more family, no more community, no more real effort when machines do all the work.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
But its still fun to crack jokes every once in a while, lol.
I agree! All that seriousness is depressing.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM

[I wanted to talk just about Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese since they shared a lot of culture, looked so much alike

Eeeeek. Don't say that.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM

["these Oriental noodles are yummy"

I doubt noodles have feelings. They don't care what you call them

Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Oh, Supernova, I have you beat! Am going for my fourth degree, but I suspect am a bit older than you. Just started at MBA program at Texas Tech. Several people bring their laptops, but they are not required so I have not done so. What are you going for? Is this too off topic??

Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM

The only person who should tell you that they find an ethnic term offensive or not preferred is a person from that particular ethnicity

That's ridiculous. If you are a parent of mixed child, it is your duty to inform people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland