Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM

66 posts, read 255,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
["these Oriental noodles are yummy"

I doubt noodles have feelings. They don't care what you call them
Yeah, I was thinking that but they might have feelings. How do you really know unless you are a noodle. Poor little guys but gosh darnit, they taste so good.

Since "Oriental" is widely considered an ethnic slur, you'd think it would be offensive to use that word to market food. Millions of products use the word "Oriental" on the packages, showing such illustrations as an Asian wearing one of those conical straw hats working in a field. Why isn't that offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,997,131 times
[
Since "Oriental" is widely considered an ethnic slur, you'd think it would be offensive to use that word to market food. Millions of products use the word "Oriental" on the packages, showing such illustrations as an Asian wearing one of those conical straw hats working in a field. Why isn't that offensive?[/quote]
Yep it can become too extreme.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 PM

66 posts, read 255,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Young people today are so different than when I was growing up. These days, everyone is glued to I-Pods, Game Consoles, laptops and cell phones. This "digital" generation is quite sad. No more family, no more community, no more real effort when machines do all the work.
IPOD - a device to listen to music. A good thing.

GAME CONSOLES - entertainment. Awesome.

LAPTOPS - how do you exist without one? I wouldn't be in business if I didn't have one.

CELL PHONE - A communication device. A great thing when you can't be there in person to talk to your loved ones. How is this bad?

Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM

8,827 posts, read 21,346,291 times
If you had grown up in the fifties, sixies or even seventies, you would not need to ask. It was a time when kids could run free (outside ) without constant adult supervision. There were fields and meadows and forests to explore and to play in. As kids, we'd leave the house early and return in the late afternoon. Everyone played outside , built "forts". treehouses & all. There were no adults to organize us ; we just organized ourselves. It was a wonderful time to be a kid.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 PM

30 posts, read 86,279 times
I don't think any of those things are bad at all, but I think it's good to "unplug" oneself and enjoy nature and explore the world outside virtual communities.

All these things are tools. They are not bad in and of themselves. I think some people escape into the digital world instead of engaging with things and people outside their computer.

I guess it's all about balance. Give me trees and nature and real conversation, but let me also have my laptop and my cell phone and my ipod.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,169,622 times
Quote:
P.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL (REPUBLICAN/CONSERVATIVE) ALBERTO GONZALEZ RESIGNED TODAY I'M FEELING GREAT WHY COULDN'T THIS HAPPEN WITH GEORGE BUSH (8 YEARS AGO)
LOL! i was happy all day.... even though it doesn't change anything i guess

Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,169,622 times
Quote:
rederick

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland