Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I just don't sense any of these people cared or knew they were chatting, some at length, with a gay guy.
I think the "knew" in your sentence is the salient point here. If you were acting in a manner similar to the presentation most males, whatever their orientation, adopt in public, how can you say with any certainty that you were visiting with progressive, gay tolerant, gay friendly even, people? You were just a guy.

I was at PDX a couple of weeks ago (the PDX) picking up my MIL from her flight. At the baggage carousel it was quite amusing. Most travelers afix some kind of belt to their roll-on luggage to be able to quickly identify them as they march past on the conveyer belt. Bright blue, pink, yellow and rainbow. The rainbows numbered in the teens, Really? Is identifying oneself as a gay passenger soooo important? OK, I guess... but I was able to quickly whisk MIL's luggage off the conveyer when she spotted her unique emblem. Most other passengers who avoided cliche and hackneyed signage were also able to quickly snag their belongings. There is a price to pay for the privilege of pride.

Quote:
Most eastern Oregonians are probably comfortable with it.
Isn't that a bit of a stretch... most? Let's face it, you were not dealing for the most part with civilians. You were dealing with entrepreneurs and service sector workers in a very down economy. I don't think it is putting too fine a point on it to observe that the retail and service sectors, in particular, have identified the gay community as having above average affluence.

Quote:
Also chatted up a young and cute photographer settled in town from Minnesota...it was at the Portland Saturday Market. bought a few of his $5 photos for engaging me in local conversation. I'm sure living in Portland makes him tolerant of gay males.
Never occurred to you that he might also be gay? I'm not willing to trust your gaydar on this given the rest of your post. What about gay females? Why do you think he is only tolerant of gay males?

Quote:
A 60-year-old transplant at that market was also very willing to share his local knowledge, so I bought a couple hand-crafted souvenirs.
Might also be gay... 25 and hipster is not a core requirement. But say he's not. He is a businessman, a decent judge of marks too, apparently.

Quote:
From the Budget rental car shuttle driver to the driver upon returning to the airport, it seems everyone was nice....even the airport folks at the Made in Oregon store who patiently answered my questions near closing time when just off the plane. Even the young black female at the bakery at the airport was chatty...pumping up PDX to no end, seemingly grateful to be out of L.A.

All in all, no problems!
I'm simply not understanding why you are so amazed by the fact that people were nice to you in PDX. Even if your orientation was obvious, PDX has long been identified as one of the most gay friendly cities in the country. Lesbian women especially, have established a sizable and influential community in the PDX Metro region. Young hayseeds from Arkansas pilgramage to the West Coast because the network informs them of the acceptance to be found out West. I have to think Boston is in the loop. What's going on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
And you thought my duck post was WTMI.
And it was. Were it not for my timely intervention, we might have learned more about your shorts than was appropriate for a family friendly forum. In the present instance, once again my quick reaction squelched further revelations about Steve's roomie (with the lower case 'r' and diminuitive 'ie'). Six Shooter Steve's street cred remains untarnished by any taint of ambivalence. They call this a hat trick where I come from.
H

Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 15,362 times
no one really cares. there's some gay clubs in the metro area. most people emigrate due to SF pricing out everyone.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by someportlandian View Post
no one really cares.
This. There's no scene because there doesn't need to be. No one cares if a gay couple is out shopping or having a meal or hanging out in the park together. It is simply a non-issue, regardless of the impression one may get by reading the rantings of clueless old men who don't even live here on City Data.

The lack of a gay community is one of the good things about Portland. It means the city is well integrated and something that shouldn't be an issue, isn't.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsteve78 View Post
My partner and I are planning to move to Portland January 1. We're both young professionals (29 and 30). I have secured a great gig in economic development and he's a seasoned residential architect (starting to look for employment).

A few questions...

1. How's gay life in Portland (i.e. community, tolerance, establishments/ bars)?
You'll find that you're treated like everyone else. It'll take a lot of getting use to, no one caring about your sexual orientation, but you'll come to welcome it.

2. Is there a gay neighborhood in Portland, per say?
Gay neighborhoods don't exist. Straight and gay people live together in all neighborhoods of Portland.

3. Finally, a bit off topic, but how is area for residential architecture opportunities?
Over saturated.

We visited Portland in August and loved the city. We plan to make a return trip in October.

Looking forward to the move!

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sorry, I read that wrong, you said live-in roommate. My bad.
No, I said Live In Roomy.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
No, I said Live In Roomy.
And how is that different than a live-in roommate? Though the "live-in" part is redundant if they are a roommate or "roomy." Though if "roomy" doesn't mean roommate to you, then I have no idea what you are talking about and you are gonna have to explain.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
I think I'll pass on the explanation. But ... he is not my Room-mate. He is a roomer. My colloquialism or personal vernacular referred to a roomer. I have a Mother-In-Law Apartment I rent.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I think I'll pass on the explanation. But ... he is not my Room-mate. He is a roomer. My colloquialism or personal vernacular referred to a roomer. I have a Mother-In-Law Apartment I rent.
I have no idea what you are talking about, with no explanation, then I have no interest in what you are talking about......moving on.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland